What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you look for internal temp or color to pull the tuna off the grill, I assume not direct fire.
The only point of cooking is to kill bacteria on the outside. It's literally a sear on high heat and you take it off. Maybe a minute or 2 a side. I even put it in the fridge while the others were cooking.

Because it is frozen there is no need to worry about eating it rare, but without knowing how it is handled it is just safer to give it a quick sear. Otherwise I would have made sashimi.

The sear does add flavor and sauce really makes it, but it's as rare as you can get.

Your presentation is getting really good! 😄 😉

What's the middle dish in the bowl? Looks good!

At a restaurant. It was a Ahi tuna bowl, but honestly would not order this any longer, it was more like an avocado/veggies bowl rather than Ahi tuna :cool:
They mix the little bit of tuna you get that you cannot even tell there's tuna in there.

Just a heads up for anyone who buys Heavy Duty Reynolds Wrap from Costco in the 2 pack. I just picked up some a few weeks ago and opened it up and was shocked. The "heavy duty" stuff from Costco is NOT heavy duty anymore. It is at best regular foil now. It tears like regular foil and bends like regular foil. The two pack will last us several years and we use it to line baking dishes so it won't go bad but for wrapping ribs its going to be worthless as it will tear and holes will be poked in it from the rib bones with the greatest of ease.

I just ordered some "Reynolds Wrap Pitmaster's Choice" foil from the Amazon hoping it would be even better than the old Heavy Duty stuff from Costco but sadly it feels like the old Heavy Duty Costco stuff.

Caveat Emptor as they say.

1661207110696.jpeg

1661207126758.jpeg

Just a heads up for anyone who buys Heavy Duty Reynolds Wrap from Costco in the 2 pack. I just picked up some a few weeks ago and opened it up and was shocked. The "heavy duty" stuff from Costco is NOT heavy duty anymore. It is at best regular foil now. It tears like regular foil and bends like regular foil. The two pack will last us several years and we use it to line baking dishes so it won't go bad but for wrapping ribs its going to be worthless as it will tear and holes will be poked in it from the rib bones with the greatest of ease.

I just ordered some "Reynolds Wrap Pitmaster's Choice" foil from the Amazon hoping it would be even better than the old Heavy Duty stuff from Costco but sadly it feels like the old Heavy Duty Costco stuff.

Caveat Emptor as they say.

View attachment 92018

View attachment 92019
Double layer helps... I know it is 2X more expensive that way, but it works.

Small pop up storms abounding (known as pop torrents in our house), so did some chicken fajitas, argh, inside. Coated with some rub and baked in the oven at 400 for 30 minutes. Sliced and added to some cooked down onions and peppers from the garden (have to keep it mild or the girls revolt). Made a garden salsa and added a few jalapenos to spice it up.

Of course the storms cleared out for the last 1.5 hours, could have gotten the cook in (and the added charcoal flavor as well). Still yum!

8-22-22_fajitas.jpg

8-22-22_salsa.jpg

Thats the whole point of "heavy duty" Did not need to double wrap it!
Well, at least you know not to purchase that version again... I'm trying to be positive on an absolutely miserable Monday.

FYI, if you aren't retired like you are, all Monday's are miserable, unless it is payday.

Decided to start experimenting more with a gumbo after watching a video yesterday evening:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=28df82e189d58e87440647b15c3a0477&action=view
Recipe doesn't call for it, but picked up some Gumbo filé at Wegman's (I love that store) and some Andouille smoked sausage that was GF. Wednesday's are all about making something for my Son Chris that none of the "girls" would think of eating (rack of lamb is up next). Got the roux copper color, but not as dark as the video as I was up against time constraints to try and get it ready by 6 pm (started at 3 pm, so undercut the final cook time).

Nice and spicy, jasmine rice is soaking up all the fatty goodness. Don't think this is a real calorie conscious recipe, but heck, you only live one lifetime here on this Earth. Gotta eat good food...yum!

8-24-22_gumbo-1.jpg

8-24-22_gumbo-2.jpg

8-24-22_gumbo-3.jpg

Hello, my name is Dave, and I am an addict.

It has been 2 days since my last tuna grill.

Gotta fill in with something. Lots coming from the garden now. Beets and tops, beans, carrots, some left over squash, and lemon and herb chicken thighs.

IMG_20220824_202210.jpg

Speaking of tuna...

The last time I did it partially frozen. Still cold in the centre and the best yet!

I sliced it for tuna tataki again, but didn't take a serving picture.

IMG_20220822_202242.jpg

Gotta fill in with something. Lots coming from the garden now. Beets and tops, beans, carrots, some left over squash, and lemon and herb chicken thighs.

View attachment 92097

Speaking of tuna...

The last time I did it partially frozen. Still cold in the centre and the best yet!

View attachment 92098
Next time you're in the shower, check yourself for fins. 🐬

View attachment 92097

Speaking of tuna...

View attachment 92098

:HB :HB

Yes on the veggies. But that raw tuna ???? Eew :s
It is definitely a mental hurdle.

I remember the first time I had sashimi.. I was thinking eww, eww, ewwww. OK, here goes... But I couldn't find anything bad to say. It did take some time to really appreciate it, but there are way harder tastes to acquire.

It is definitely a mental hurdle.

I remember the first time I had sashimi.. I was thinking eww, eww, ewwww. OK, here goes... But I couldn't find anything bad to say. It did take some time to really appreciate it, but there are way harder tastes to acquire.
Maybe! I eat kidney stew, Kimchi, raw garlic, pigs' feet, octopus and such stuff. Never ran into a food I didn't like. But never tried raw fish. Maybe someday . . . . . . . . . . . However.

Maybe! I eat kidney stew, Kimchi, raw garlic, pigs' feet, octopus and such stuff. Never ran into a food I didn't like. But never tried raw fish. Maybe someday . . . . . . . . . . . However.
I am the same. I asked for the tongue and heart with my last bison. You don't know if you like it, if you don't try it. The only thing I can think of that I do not like, rollmops! I only had only and it's the only food I can remember spitting out in decades. Pickled herring wrapped around a pickle... Not for this guy!

I would put sushi at the very top of my favorite foods, and the raw stuff at the top of that list.

Back