What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs WM81 and I celebrated Valentine's tonight -- she found a sale on lobster tails, so we enjoyed a simple meal of steamed lobster, bread, and salad.

dinner.jpg

Plus I opened a sparkling wine. Before we were engaged, I purchased a Perrier-Jouët box set -- a bottle of champagne (painted bottle), and 2 matching glasses. We celebrated our engagement with that wine

The bottle and the glasses have been in a display cabinet for 30+ years. Once or twice a year I get the glasses out to enjoy a sparkling wine when we celebrate something. The missus always smiles when she sees these glasses!

glasses.jpg

Yesterday I smoked two whole chickens (from Costco). Started them at about 7 am and in the afternoon my wife pulled the meat off, put all the skins, bones, some carrots and onions and water into the stock pot to make chicken broth. Today she used some of that wonderful smoky goodness to make chicken noodle soup. Nobody sick, but goodness.
PXL_20220213_004459815.jpg

I don't have any pictures but this morning I made a breakfast casserole for our grandsons. It was eggs, turkey breakfast sausage, cheddar cheese and diced brioche rolls. The dish came out very tasty but mostly I want to relate to all of you a trick my bride saw in the newspaper for cleaning a baked casserole dish. Simple as can be! Add hot water to the dish and a dryer fabric softener sheet and let it stand for about 15 minutes. Drain the water and clean with a kitchen sponge. I am not exaggerating when I state that the dish is cleaner than when I started. This dish has been with us for most if not all of our marriage (56 years). You can see in the photo scratches that were the result of using an SOS pad on it to remove past stains. BTW, the dish is a Corningware A21, vintage 1960's.

Hope you find this useful.

100_1857.JPG

Mrs WM81 and I celebrated Valentine's tonight -- she found a sale on lobster tails, so we enjoyed a simple meal of steamed lobster, bread, and salad.

View attachment 84600

Plus I opened a sparkling wine. Before we were engaged, I purchased a Perrier-Jouët box set -- a bottle of champagne (painted bottle), and 2 matching glasses. We celebrated our engagement with that wine

The bottle and the glasses have been in a display cabinet for 30+ years. Once or twice a year I get the glasses out to enjoy a sparkling wine when we celebrate something. The missus always smiles when she sees these glasses!

View attachment 84601

Excellent! Thank you for posting this, Bryan.

At my wedding, the inn where we had the reception had these glasses set out for the bride and groom, first to toast, then to keep. (We did not know their provenance.) We treasured these and used them similarly to the way you do. However, over the years, one got broken. The "widow" remains, forlornly by itself. (See picture below.)

However, armed with the name you supplied, I found as many of them on eBay as I would wish! I picked up three more to make a small set. Thank you!

IMG_3180.JPG

We treasured these and used them similarly to the way you do. However, over the years, one got broken. The "widow" remains, forlornly by itself. (See picture below.)
Cool!!!

I'm very protective of these glasses, in fear of them being broken. It's good to know I can get replacements.

Hmmm ... I'm thinking of buying a few (depending on price), as they will make a good anniversary present for my newly married son.

Leftover roasted asparagus (tarragon, Grana Padano); roasted carrots (cardamom, lemon); brown rice with curry seasoning; roasted cauliflower (butter and herbes de Provence); roasted chicken thighs (applewood smoked seasoning). Washed down with a cheap Washington Chardonnay (Chateau Ste. Michelle).

IMG_3181.JPG
IMG_3182.JPG

Excellent! Thank you for posting this, Bryan.

At my wedding, the inn where we had the reception had these glasses set out for the bride and groom, first to toast, then to keep. (We did not know their provenance.) We treasured these and used them similarly to the way you do. However, over the years, one got broken. The "widow" remains, forlornly by itself. (See picture below.)

However, armed with the name you supplied, I found as many of them on eBay as I would wish! I picked up three more to make a small set. Thank you!

View attachment 84633
When in Paris many years ago we bought a bottle of Champagne to bring home and it also had two of these glasses.

My wife and I don't really celebrate Valentines Day, but we decided to make a really nice supper tonight. Honey glazed salmon with squash. Then the squash gets some buttered pecan bits tossed with it. We also had some steak leftover, so decided it was surf and turf.
PXL_20220214_235613758.jpg

My wife and I don't really celebrate Valentines Day, but we decided to make a really nice supper tonight. Honey glazed salmon with squash. Then the squash gets some buttered pecan bits tossed with it. We also had some steak leftover, so decided it was surf and turf.
View attachment 84691
That's a lot of leftover steak. How does that happen? 😜 It all looks great.

Back