What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roasted artichoke with lemon/butter dipping sauce; sauteed spinach with EVOO and garlic; seasoned roast eggplant; Salisbury steak with mushroom sauce; salad with olives and sunflower seeds. Washed down with a cheap Mendoza Bordeaux blend (Malbec, Cab. Sauv., Petit Verdot) that is punching above its weight.

IMG_3207.JPG

Last edited:
Salad with avocado, olives, pecans, and a raspberry/balsamic dressing. Roasted fennel; roasted broccoli with a lemon/butter/garlic/caper sauce; hot Italian sausage in ho-made tomato sauce on zoodles.

View attachment 85011

On Taco Tuesday? And National Margarita Day?

Beef ribs braised in red wind and stock with 'shrooms and onions; roasted asparagus with Grana Padano and tarragon; roasted cauliflower with marjoram and butter; blanched/sauteed mustard greens with garlic and EVOO; roasted artichokes with a butter/mustard/lemon dipping sauce.

IMG_3214.JPGIMG_3215.JPG

My fridge/freezer down in the winery died over the weekend. I had 3 chunks of brisket frozen along with quart containers of stocks and sauces that had to move to the kitchen fridge. The smallest flat of brisket didn't fit so I put it in a stainless pan, seasoned, covered and baked at 200 degrees for about 18 hours then another 6 or 8 at 210. The fat melted and I ended up with a Confit Brisket, awesome. No replacement for a smoked brisket but worked fine on a snowy week day. Chocolate cookies (not burned hamburgers) on the cooling racks for drive to California this week.
confitBrisket1.jpegconfitBrisket2.jpeg

My fridge/freezer down in the winery died over the weekend. I had 3 chunks of brisket frozen along with quart containers of stocks and sauces that had to move to the kitchen fridge. The smallest flat of brisket didn't fit so I put it in a stainless pan, seasoned, covered and baked at 200 degrees for about 18 hours then another 6 or 8 at 210. The fat melted and I ended up with a Confit Brisket, awesome. No replacement for a smoked brisket but worked fine on a snowy week day. Chocolate cookies (not burned hamburgers) on the cooling racks for drive to California this week.
View attachment 85073View attachment 85074

I did think they were burnt 'burgers! :)

Had leftover doughs from last weekend in the freezer, so thawed overnight and made a small stromboli for my daughter. Didn't know what to do with the second dough, wifey perked up and said "make me some pizza" so I accommodated, but warned about an impending pizza cook on Sunday.

Making two poolishes tonight for the pizza on Sunday.

2-25-22_stromboli.jpg

2-25-22_pizza.jpg

Dough made with a poolish, so "soft, yet clunchy" (aka Vito Iacopelli). Oven set at 500*F, stone read 515, 10 minute cook.

Sh!ts getting outa hand man. I use this for my Ho-made pizza's. 6 mo ago (or less) this was $3 a pack. Now..........

View attachment 85111

83% increase! :sh
The Deitz and Watson stuff I get has gone up at least by 1/2. Normally more expensive than the other options before price increases.

Have to support those who support the Eaglettes, lol.

Sh!ts getting outa hand man. I use this for my Ho-made pizza's. 6 mo ago (or less) this was $3 a pack. Now..........

View attachment 85111

83% increase! :sh

I hear ya! The house we rented in OBX last summer was up almost 20% this year (as were most places). Food is nuts, gas is nuts. Thank goodness the mortgage is locked in!

Final product for tonight. Detroit Pan Pizza! :db

Pepperoni, Italian snausage, Jalapeño, fresh basil (cheese was Mozzarella and Cheve')

View attachment 85112View attachment 85113
I'm gonna have some extra dough left on Sunday (making two batches, ie. 10 doughs). Need to research some Detroit pizza, wondering what car parts I have to buy for it, lol.

Edit: Vito Detroit style....

Double edit: Mike, I did my research...did you cook it in a blue steel pan meant for oil or spare parts from a car, lol.

Last edited:
LOL I snagged this pan about a year ago. It's perfect for this type of pie. :db

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FY5PHIK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View attachment 85125

Note: this pan is up 23% since I purchased a year ago......

My wife who works at Costco and sees prices fluctuate daily tells me she doesn’t remember such a climb, everything is higher in price since a year or so ago.

I wonder about the meat price now and will be checking later today but assume it’s gone way up 😩

Back