What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I haven't made pizza dough in a while, that was the flour I was using from Wegman's - good results.
It seems it is well suited for the lower temps (500-550*F) of the home oven verses their Pizzaria flour that is made more for a KettlePizza type rig (700*+). I can get a 50 lb sack of the Caputo Pizzaria flour at the RS store for $36.

I'm really interested in doing an experiment this weekend with it. Have been using the Anna Napoletana 00 lately with great success (better in blind taste tests than the KA Lancelot 14%+ protein flour). Very easy to work with and works well with the poolish method.

Plus the inside of the crust is soft while the outside is "clunchy".

Yesterday was pretty nice, in the 50's and dry, so fired up the kettle grill and made me some pulled pork.

3-5-22_pork-1.jpg

3-5-22_pork-2.jpg

Today a bit warmer (car had 75* when I took my son to work around 1 pm). Would love to fire up the kettlepizza rig, but it looks like there are some showers sliding up the Appalachians. Don't want to crack my pizza stone, so an indoor cook today. Four doughs of each flour type, should be an interesting head to head cook. Have two (maybe three) other families that will get one pizza of each flour type in a blind taste test. Doughs need a couple of hours to warm up and puff up a bit.

3-6-22_dough.jpg

Having to use a bit of vacation, we are starting to reduce our hours since printers are having issues getting paper. Losing a lot of customers because of it, but not sure where they are going, no one has much paper. Fortunately the allocations are based on past usage and our company had pretty stout usage in 2019. (Union confirms UPM strike extension)

So what am I to do, go shopping for the weekend. Hit Wegmans and found a bargain, lowest price I've seen for a while...

View attachment 85288

View attachment 85286

Also found some interesting flour to try. This is Caputo's higher gluten version, going to try out a longer dough ferment for a Sunday cook.

View attachment 85287

Found an interesting site. Won't use his dough making method but will consider some of his long ferment concepts. Also bought a dough fermentation box (18" x 26") at the restaurant store. Sort of like a hardware store, can get lost for hours in there.

https://thepizzaheaven.com/
hey ceeaton i own a design and printing company here in Ontario Canada - us too are having a hell of a time getting paper - never seen our industry in such shambles - pricing of paper up 35-40%-what a joke - waiting for a a gloss stock months(july-September -many people working from home is not helping us

Yesterday was pretty nice, in the 50's and dry, so fired up the kettle grill and made me some pulled pork.

View attachment 85363

View attachment 85364

Today a bit warmer (car had 75* when I took my son to work around 1 pm). Would love to fire up the kettlepizza rig, but it looks like there are some showers sliding up the Appalachians. Don't want to crack my pizza stone, so an indoor cook today. Four doughs of each flour type, should be an interesting head to head cook. Have two (maybe three) other families that will get one pizza of each flour type in a blind taste test. Doughs need a couple of hours to warm up and puff up a bit.

View attachment 85366
very nice - i'm smoking a ham on my green egg

We purchased boneless thighs from Aldi's -- these are big. Cleaned out the excess fat and connective tissue, then pounded the thick spots thin. Stuffed with smoked Gouda, seasoned salt, and Herbes de Provence. Rolled in egg wash then bread crumbs, then sprayed with olive oil, and baked for 45 minutes. Mrs. WM81 was highly pleased. Served with the chicken are shrimp & crab ravioli (Aldi's, were ok, nothing we'd rush to buy again), and spinach with Balsamic vinegar.

chicken thighs.jpg

Made enough chicken for 2 meals, so we're having it again tonight. Gotta think up a side to go with it ...

Latest posts

Back