What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We purchased boneless thighs from Aldi's -- these are big. Cleaned out the excess fat and connective tissue, then pounded the thick spots thin. Stuffed with smoked Gouda, seasoned salt, and Herbes de Provence. Rolled in egg wash then bread crumbs, then sprayed with olive oil, and baked for 45 minutes. Mrs. WM81 was highly pleased. Served with the chicken are shrimp & crab ravioli (Aldi's, were ok, nothing we'd rush to buy again), and spinach with Balsamic vinegar.

View attachment 85565

Made enough chicken for 2 meals, so we're having it again tonight. Gotta think up a side to go with it ...
Thighs and drumsticks in my area look more like they come from turkeys than chickens. They're huge no matter where you buy them. I suspect they're coming from big, old, non-producing egg layers.

Thighs and drumsticks in my area look more like they come from turkeys than chickens. They're huge no matter where you buy them. I suspect they're coming from big, old, non-producing egg layers.
Legs & thighs we get most places are relatively tiny, definitely fryers. As a kid, the best roasts and soups were when my dad starting knocking off the old laying hens. It's impossible (for me anyway) to get birds like that.

I love stuffing thighs with cheese -- the original recipe (Wine Spectator, ~1990) called for Brie, but I've found that any cheese works well. My wife loves smoked Gouda, we had some in the fridge, and it worked out great!

Seared and roasted chicken tonight. Garlic, rosemary, thyme. Supplemented with purple artichokes; parboiled/sauteed turnip greens with onions and garlic; parboiled/roasted cauliflower with Parmigiano-Reggiano, some herbes de Provence, and lots of butter; and a spinach salad with pecans and blueberries.

IMG_3259.JPGIMG_3260.JPGIMG_3261.JPGIMG_3264.JPG

Seared and roasted chicken tonight. Garlic, rosemary, thyme. Supplemented with purple artichokes; parboiled/sauteed turnip greens with onions and garlic; parboiled/roasted cauliflower with Parmigiano-Reggiano, some herbes de Provence, and lots of butter; and a spinach salad with pecans and blueberries.

View attachment 85577

Ok, where is the drool emote...

Broccoli that was parboiled, then sauteed with garlic, lots of EVOO, and some red pepper; sauteed spinach with garlic, EVOO, and lemon juice; a salad with bacon and cheese and a ho-made vinaigrette; lamburgers topped with blue goat cheese, and served with sauteed king trumpet mushrooms with butter, thyme, and soy sauce.

IMG_3267.JPG
IMG_3268.JPG

Broccoli that was parboiled, then sauteed with garlic, lots of EVOO, and some red pepper; sauteed spinach with garlic, EVOO, and lemon juice; a salad with bacon and cheese and a ho-made vinaigrette; lamburgers topped with blue goat cheese, and served with sauteed king trumpet mushrooms with butter, thyme, and soy sauce.
/QUOTE]

Paul, is a "lamburger" what I think it is? If so, what is in it other than meat?

Paul, is a "lamburger" what I think it is? If so, what is in it other than meat?

Yeah, that is what I call a 'burger made with ground lamb. 🐑 🍔

In this particular case, these were made in-house at a little coop grocery store that I frequent. They included some feta cheese chunks, some spinach, and some Mediterranean seasonings. But I also often make them myself with 100% lamb meat, then just season the outside like you would a beef 'burger.

Yeah, that is what I call a 'burger made with ground lamb. 🐑 🍔

In this particular case, these were made in-house at a little coop grocery store that I frequent. They included some feta cheese chunks, some spinach, and some Mediterranean seasonings. But I also often make them myself with 100% lamb meat, then just season the outside like you would a beef 'burger.

Sounds great! I guess instead of mustard one could spread mint jelly on the bun!

When it's just the Mrs and I (which is most of the time), and I open a package of pork tenderloin, I make 2 different meals. Leftovers are perfectly fine, but it's nice to have fresh. In this case, I cleaned both tenderloins, butterflied them, and pounded thin. Thursday's dinner was pan fried, marinated strips. For tonight I sprinkled the inside with Pampered Chef Dijon Mustard blend, rolled it up, wrapped in plastic, and refrigerated until last night.

Preparation was simple -- unrolled it, layered in smoked Gouda, rolled back up, and sprinkled with Parmesan. Sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with seasoned salt, and coated lightly with bread crumbs to keep it from drying out. Baked at 375 F for 45 minutes. Served with steam carrots and leftover couscous (which included lots of sliced almonds, as we have a big bag I'm trying to use up!).

Yesterday was a long workday for me, so I relaxed with a glass of 2021 FWK Tavola Barbera, which was made for quicker drinking. It's very nice at this point, and I will wish I had made 2 kits!

pork tenderloin.jpg

Friday night...... Ho-made Pizza night! Detroit style X two! One sausage and green olive, one pepperoni, sausage, shiitake shrooms, kalamata olives and of course green chile! Had some BFF's over and played dominos until Saturday morning.......

I'm too old for that, especially on a weekend the clocks move ahead an hour, lol!

Braved the elements this morning (followed a snow plow, they lied, it was laying on the roads) and hit the restaurant supply store for a couple of 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" pans to make some Sicilian style pizza (American Metalcraft HCSQ1210 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" x 1" Hard Coat Aluminum Square Pizza Pan). Just seasoned the pans (and burnt my thumb, heat resistant glove had a thin spot in it...I think I'll live) and making a bread flour based dough using a quick poolish. Have a backup dough in case the one I just made isn't quite ready yet (the poolish was quite active though). Currently researching sauce options, do I make true Sicilian or the NY version? Could make a thinner crust and a grandma style. Decisions, decisions...

Pictures later if I don't somehow get stuck in the oven, or wipeout in the driveway again, lol.

Edit: Mike, what's the difference between a sicilian and a detroit style, or is it the same type made in a different region?

Latest posts

Back