What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Costco meat prices are pretty steep these days..........

0607E088-A643-4D19-9E8F-D350B00C2E1C.jpeg695231AD-4092-472A-850E-189BFBC5B7B9_1_201_a.jpeg

My wife who works at Costco and sees prices fluctuate daily tells me she doesn’t remember such a climb, everything is higher in price since a year or so ago.

I wonder about the meat price now and will be checking later today but assume it’s gone way up 😩

Local Costco price of beef loin NY steak choice grade is $9.99
Boneless ribeye choice grade $12.99, prime grade $19.99
Brisket prime grade $4.49

These look good!

cornstarch.jpg

It's important to remember that while powdered sugar and cornstarch look very much alike, they taste very differently -- and -- raw turkey makes very poor truffles!

Mrs WM81 requested turkey meatballs in sauce last night, so I rolled them in cornstarch first, for texture, and to help thicken the sauce. Red wine, vegetable stock, Pampered Chef Rotisserie Chicken and Greek Blend seasonings worked out well.

Today I've got a brisket in the crockpot, making Brisket in Sunday Sauce. Essentially it's simmering the brisket in a red sauce all day.

brisket.jpg

Sorry, I didn't get a picture (I know pictur or it didn't happen), but super tonight was Cajun Salmon with Strawberry Pico. Last minute decision to make it. I got an email from one of the local grocery stores with the recipe. I thought it could have used three jalapeños in it, instead of just the two, but my wife isn't a fan of hot food.

Last edited:
Hmmm, Craig reminded me I need to take a picture or it didn't happen. Made 8 doughs (1/2 00 Caputo flour, other HG KA Lancelot flour) with a resulting 6 pizzas and one loaf of bread. Two pizzas for the neighbor on the left, 2 for my boss (he gives me good feedback), and two for us. Ran the oven at 525 and had the stone up to 545 before putting on a pizza (dropped 70* when checking after removing the finished pizza).

Love the 00 flour, the dough is very soft and very easy to work with. If hydrated to 70%, rarely rips even when made ultra thin. Can't wait to try at a higher temp on the Kettle Pizza at some point as the 00 supposedly can handle a higher heat than the high gluten flour (they suggest a stone temp of 725-750).

Also made some banana bread and some more bagels (daughter ate all but one of the 8 bagels I made yesterday), no wonder she's almost taller than I am...

2-27-22_pizza.jpg

I am showing some of the progression of these pork rib chops, just because they looked so appealing to me.

Pork rib chops, browned, then braised in white wine, heavy cream, and ho-made tomato sauce, with porcini and button mushrooms. Roast artichoke; green beans with bleu cheese and pumpkin seeds; roasted eggplant with savory herbs, EVOO, and garlic; lacinato kale and onions, sauteed, then braised.

IMG_3225.JPGIMG_3226.JPG66779088479__3C34AD2F-08FC-49F4-B254-F824827CE624.JPG

Having to use a bit of vacation, we are starting to reduce our hours since printers are having issues getting paper. Losing a lot of customers because of it, but not sure where they are going, no one has much paper. Fortunately the allocations are based on past usage and our company had pretty stout usage in 2019. (Union confirms UPM strike extension)

So what am I to do, go shopping for the weekend. Hit Wegmans and found a bargain, lowest price I've seen for a while...

3-3-22_butt-1.jpg

3-3-22_butt-2.jpg

Also found some interesting flour to try. This is Caputo's higher gluten version, going to try out a longer dough ferment for a Sunday cook.

3-3-22_caputo-red.jpg

Found an interesting site. Won't use his dough making method but will consider some of his long ferment concepts. Also bought a dough fermentation box (18" x 26") at the restaurant store. Sort of like a hardware store, can get lost for hours in there.

https://thepizzaheaven.com/

Having to use a bit of vacation, we are starting to reduce our hours since printers are having issues getting paper. Losing a lot of customers because of it, but not sure where they are going, no one has much paper. Fortunately the allocations are based on past usage and our company had pretty stout usage in 2019. (Union confirms UPM strike extension)

So what am I to do, go shopping for the weekend. Hit Wegmans and found a bargain, lowest price I've seen for a while...

View attachment 85288

View attachment 85286

Also found some interesting flour to try. This is Caputo's higher gluten version, going to try out a longer dough ferment for a Sunday cook.

View attachment 85287

Found an interesting site. Won't use his dough making method but will consider some of his long ferment concepts. Also bought a dough fermentation box (18" x 26") at the restaurant store. Sort of like a hardware store, can get lost for hours in there.

https://thepizzaheaven.com/

While I haven't made pizza dough in a while, that was the flour I was using from Wegman's - good results.

Back