What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've been seeing (BJs, Weis, Giant) the wings are more than 2x the price of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Very scary indeed!

I did notice today that one of our local Giant's had the freezer sections overflowing with frozen wings. I think 3 lbs were $12+. At least there are no issues on that part of the supply chain.

$12 for 3 pounds of wings, that are half bone. Yet I go to Weg's and get BSB for $1.29/lb. The world is upside down.

Still a crazy high price. Weg's is up to $1.79/lb. I looked at pork belly there today though and it was $6.59/lb. Almost cheaper to just buy bacon.
Our Wegmans was up to $7.99 for the belly, just looked at it the other day. Was thinking it would be a nice thing to get started this weekend since my wife is attending nursing clinicals once again. I think I'll play with my poolish instead, lol.

How much for the beaks?
(comment courtesy of Al Bundy, Married with Children).
Loved that show!

I had chicken's feet at a dim sum place. It was like eating a soft leather bag full of ball bearings (spit out the ball bearings). I was with friends and we figured we try it, plus it grossed our wives out. In the aftermath .... ya gotta be really hungry to eat that on any regular basis.

If we diverge into "things I won't eat a second time", I nominate uni! This is sea urchin -- think about what freshly turned soil smells like in the spring. That's what uni tastes like. A co-worker had spent a year in northern Japan, teaching English. He knew more about sushi than anyone I know. He raved about uni, and he honestly loved it. OTOH, I was proud that it went down and stayed down ...

Third on my list is jelly fish. It was like chewing on a mouthful of thin rubber bands. As near as I can tell, ya keep chewing until your jaw gets too tired, then swallow.

Loved that show!

I had chicken's feet at a dim sum place. It was like eating a soft leather bag full of ball bearings (spit out the ball bearings). I was with friends and we figured we try it, plus it grossed our wives out. In the aftermath .... ya gotta be really hungry to eat that on any regular basis.

If we diverge into "things I won't eat a second time", I nominate uni! This is sea urchin -- think about what freshly turned soil smells like in the spring. That's what uni tastes like. A co-worker had spent a year in northern Japan, teaching English. He knew more about sushi than anyone I know. He raved about uni, and he honestly loved it. OTOH, I was proud that it went down and stayed down ...

Third on my list is jelly fish. It was like chewing on a mouthful of thin rubber bands. As near as I can tell, ya keep chewing until your jaw gets too tired, then swallow.
You are so much braver than me. As of now (thanks to you) I will never be tempted to eat chicken's feet, uni, or jelly fish.

When I was very young, my Grandpa brought over a pigeon or two he had shot, so my mom cooked them for supper. We were all seated at the table, prayers were said, then in unison we breathed it in, looked down at our plates and each other--then looked at each other again--that's when mom said quietly, "you don't have to eat it if you don't want to." Whew! Hallelujah!

Now I wouldn't be surprised if, in the near future, we see some squab or pigeon dishes appearing here on the "What's for Dinner" thread by people who know how to properly select and prepare this particular bird. You and the others who post on here really know how to cook! Inspires me to try to step up my game.

I remember my first experience with jelly fish tenacles when I was on a business trip to Japan. The company that I worked for had a "far east" office which would provide us with local talent to act as interpreters, guides, keep us out of trouble by making social gaffs, etc. We were out to dinner with a supplier and Yoshi was seated next to me. He noticed me chewing and chewing the tenacles and leaned over discreetly and whispered, "Rocco-san, don't chew...swallow!"

You are so much braver than me. As of now (thanks to you) I will never be tempted to eat chicken's feet, uni, or jelly fish.
My parents grew up in the Great Depression, and it was ingrained in them to waste NOTHING. Growing up, "normal" food for me include organ meat (heart, liver, kidney), and venison, rabbit, and birds we hunted. My dad grew all kinds of vegetables, including black radish and kohlrabi, things most folks in the USA have not heard of, much less tried.

Conversely, I was in my lower teens when we learned of broccoli, which is so common in the USA today. We tried it, decided we liked it, and it became a family staple.

Friends & I camped deep in the woods (7 mile walk from the road), and took a .22 with us -- we'd shoot a few squirrels, wrap 'em in foil with butter, onion, salt, & pepper, and slow roast by the fire. (butter and onion got used up first day in). It was tasty and something different, unless we got great-grand-daddy squirrel, who was tougher-n-leather. But still tasty.

A friend's husband went home to Iowa every year for pheasant hunting. He'd bring home the breasts, bread 'em, deep fry 'em, and we'd have pheasant McNuggets! [I wasn't crazy about the taste, but it was interesting to try, except for the crunchy birdshot that were occasionally found.]

He noticed me chewing and chewing the tenacles and leaned over discreetly and whispered, "Rocco-san, don't chew...swallow!"
NOW you tell me???? 😆

Kinda frightening how much cheaper boneless, skinless chicken breast is compared to wings. But I've got to have wings - picked up 4lbs today for the big game. They are whole so I'll need to remove the tips and separate.
Ahhh Chicken wings. In the "Good Old Days", chicken wings - 29 cents/lb, then they brought in the NEW advertising guy. The following week at the store "Preferred Parts - Chicken Wings" 59 cents/lb. Last week, different flavored wings $6.99/lb, special during Super Bowl week - $5.99/lb.

Usually Pork Butt is $0.79/lb over Xmas because that is the meat of choice for Tamales which are now only made by locals during the holidays. We never got any lower than $1.99 this year. I always keep a lookout for a WooHoo priced one. Every now and then I can snag one for a decent price. Being retired has its benefits as I can head to Smiths around 9AM any day of the week. The Meat Manager finishes his markdown rounds by 830AM. LOL :db

Still a crazy high price. Weg's is up to $1.79/lb. I looked at pork belly there today though and it was $6.59/lb. Almost cheaper to just buy bacon.

Friends & I camped deep in the woods (7 mile walk from the road), and took a .22 with us -- we'd shoot a few squirrels, wrap 'em in foil with butter, onion, salt, & pepper, and slow roast by the fire. (butter and onion got used up first day in). It was tasty and something different, unless we got great-grand-daddy squirrel, who was tougher-n-leather. But still tasty.
A group of us did a similar thing in Pennsylvania. We were all from Pittsburgh, but we would drive northeast about 100 miles and camp in the woods for a week or so. We did not have firearms, but we did have machetes as our only defense and for hunting. We would bring a modest number of staples (butter, dry beans, flour, sugar, coffee, etc.) and we foraged for or trapped all other food. There were about 14 of us and we had food preparation duty with one other person normally once during the trip. I say "normally once" because there was a rule that if one complained about the food, he had the duty the next day. A favorite line that we all must have used at least once was, "This tastes like crap! But it's good!"

We camped near a dammed-up stream and the resulting "mini" lake had an abundance of frogs. They were normally our "fall back" meal if nothing better was captured. Among the items we ate were rattlesnake, squirrel, rabbit and the strangest thing of all was a porcupine! As I recall, our ages were from 15 to 19. Great memories.

A group of us did a similar thing in Pennsylvania. We were all from Pittsburgh, but we would drive northeast about 100 miles and camp in the woods for a week or so. We did not have firearms, but we did have machetes as our only defense and for hunting. We would bring a modest number of staples (butter, dry beans, flour, sugar, coffee, etc.) and we foraged for or trapped all other food. There were about 14 of us and we had food preparation duty with one other person normally once during the trip. I say "normally once" because there was a rule that if one complained about the food, he had the duty the next day. A favorite line that we all must have used at least once was, "This tastes like crap! But it's good!"

We camped near a dammed-up stream and the resulting "mini" lake had an abundance of frogs. They were normally our "fall back" meal if nothing better was captured. Among the items we ate were rattlesnake, squirrel, rabbit and the strangest thing of all was a porcupine! As I recall, our ages were from 15 to 19. Great memories.
Rocky, was that still in PA or southern NY? What county was it? Sounds like it's up near our families cabin in Tioga County. Close to Potter and Lycoming counties as well.

Rocky, was that still in PA or southern NY? What county was it? Sounds like it's up near our families cabin in Tioga County. Close to Potter and Lycoming counties as well.
Craig, it was so long ago I don't remember exactly where it was. I was not driving at the time, so it was at least 65 years ago. I am sure it was in PA and not in NY. We would hike into the woods about 2 miles from the road. The only town was a whistle stop that had a gas station/general store with perhaps 2 or 3 other buildings and that was about 5 miles from where we entered the woods. One memory I do have is that we had stopped at the general store to get some last-minute supplies and a guy on a motorcycle was hit by a woman in a car right in front of us. The guy was stunned by not severely injured and was able to drive away on his bike. The lady ran a stop sign and nailed him. I don't even think the police were called. It was a different time.

Craig, it was so long ago I don't remember exactly where it was. I was not driving at the time, so it was at least 65 years ago. I am sure it was in PA and not in NY. We would hike into the woods about 2 miles from the road. The only town was a whistle stop that had a gas station/general store with perhaps 2 or 3 other buildings and that was about 5 miles from where we entered the woods. One memory I do have is that we had stopped at the general store to get some last-minute supplies and a guy on a motorcycle was hit by a woman in a car right in front of us. The guy was stunned by not severely injured and was able to drive away on his bike. The lady ran a stop sign and nailed him. I don't even think the police were called. It was a different time.
Sounds like Ansonia PA, on Route 6, about 3 miles from our cabin. There was a bar (which still exists but has changed hands about 5 times since 1980), a gas station that served hand dipped ice cream, and a church. They've added a fly fishing shop, but dropped the gas station, lol.

Wifey at clinicals, as usual. Had a couple of kid taxi runs, but enough time to work on some cooking projects. A neighbor gave me one of those big pork loins that I normally cut into chops. But I had hacked off a few 3 lb pieces and frozen them. Looking for space in the freezer, I started thawing one yesterday.

Today I worked on a batch of crockpot sweet and sour pork, and some posole for me for lunches next week. Pork seems real tender, backing off the heat so I don't overcook it...

Posole:
2-12-22_posole.jpg

Sweet and Sour pork:
2-12-22_sweet-n-sour-pork.jpg

Yum!

Latest posts

Back