What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dawg, you like fajitas...okay, your invited! They may get cold before you can get here, but we can reheat them.

Some turkey breast sections on sale, so turkey fajitas. Some nice flavorful chile powder from @ibglowin (low test, females eating). Marinated for an hour (as I ran my son to work), grilled (was drizzling, no charcoal today) and added to some vidalia onions and various colored sweet peppers.

2-7-22_fajita-1.jpg

2-7-22_fajita-2.jpg

Good I made more than needed, youngest daughter walked in an announced her friend who is our next door neighbor is eating with us now...and they say I'll miss them when they're gone, lol.

Yum!

From Sunday. We were running kids around most of the afternoon and early evening. They were fed at their various events, so Mrs BB and I were left to fend for ourselves when we had time. Organic chicken tenders in the freezer. Frank's, salad fixings and blue cheese dressing in the fridge. No brainer for me.

tempImagepBq5cD.jpg

We had family visit last weekend, and baked a large ham, as everyone likes it and it feeds a lot. I'm in the habit of boiling the bone for stock, and making bean soup.

It's a simple recipe -- quick soak 2 cups of dried beans. In a separate pot, place the bone and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 40 minutes. Remove the bone and strain the broth. Chop a large onion and sweat it in a bit of oil, letting it brown a bit.

In a stockpot, add the broth, beans, onion, and 1 tsp rubbed sage, 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, and 5 good shots pepper sauce (Texas Pete). Simmer for an hour or so until beans are tender. Add chopped leftover ham and a 15 oz can stewed tomatoes (roughly chopped). Simmer 15-20 minutes meld flavors. Serve over pasta.

This was dinner Sunday night and last night. Probably lunch tomorrow.

bean soup.jpg

Our college student daughter stopped in for dinner tonight, which usually means we (I) eat better. It wasn’t freezing at dinner time, but snow and ice was all around, and I grilled NY Strips on the grill (oak/apple/cherry chips adding flavor) and Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning. Had an excellent 2015 Don Hernan Rioja Reserva ($16) and interestingly, a salad with fresh cut lettuce leaves from a small Hyponic garden pot thing our son gave us for Christmas. Go figure, growing fresh lettuce indoors, while winter is going on, and no dirt.0EB20C6B-360A-471B-BA2E-27C4F5C55410.jpegD05BC623-518D-4845-BA02-01F506A3405D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @Boatboy24 , I thought you only used that on me, lol...

Experimenting with a different dough style this last week. This one uses a poolish and 00 flour. Meant for ultra thin NY style crusts. Had some "experimental" dough in the fridge, so made up a couple of small stromboli.

Aiming to make a few pizzas for superbowl Sunday. Chicken wings are just outrageously priced, pizza is much cheaper. Will make a bunch of "personal" sized ones and let them pick from a bunch of toppings. Supposed to get cold around here Sunday, so the oven running all day will be a plus (it's 62 right now, hard to believe in February).

2-11-22_stomboli.jpg

Kinda frightening how much cheaper boneless, skinless chicken breast is compared to wings. But I've got to have wings - picked up 4lbs today for the big game. They are whole so I'll need to remove the tips and separate.

Kinda frightening how much cheaper boneless, skinless chicken breast is compared to wings. But I've got to have wings - picked up 4lbs today for the big game. They are whole so I'll need to remove the tips and separate.
From what I've been seeing (BJs, Weis, Giant) the wings are more than 2x the price of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Very scary indeed!

I did notice today that one of our local Giant's had the freezer sections overflowing with frozen wings. I think 3 lbs were $12+. At least there are no issues on that part of the supply chain.

You could always give these a try - only $1.23/lb at Wally World. 😁
1644622009018.png

$4.5lb at Kroger!
Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 4.28.12 PM.png

From what I've been seeing (BJs, Weis, Giant) the wings are more than 2x the price of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Very scary indeed!

I did notice today that one of our local Giant's had the freezer sections overflowing with frozen wings. I think 3 lbs were $12+. At least there are no issues on that part of the supply chain.

Latest posts

Back