What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Simple fare. I had a nice thick pork rib chop in the freezer, so I pulled that out and thawed it this afternoon; pan-fried, seasoned with a little marjoram, and served with sauteed 'shrooms, onions, thyme, garlic, then all braised in ho-made chicken stock and sherry. Some baby bok choy made the ultimate sacrifice, were charred then braised, and a little simple white rice rounded things out.

DSCN1187.jpg

I'd say that's a pretty nice deal.
That's the price I usually get at BJs. Occasionally they'll have a 2-3 dollar off coupon, which makes it a nice deal. Two bags usually last me about a month (I grill 3-4 times a week on average). Weather is supposed to be nice this week, so might hit 5 or 6 times. Guess I need another 30 pack 'o beer.

No pix, sorry to say.
For one veggie, I made some roasted broccoli, then added lemon juice later. I started some hearty fava beans yesterday, then my DW took over (and damn near ruined them :sh), but then she pulled the fat out of the fire and crafted a nice bean puree with tahini, cumin, and unctuous fats. (She is a better cook than I am, but I have kind of muscled her out of the kitchen of late.) For another veggie, I reheated the charred/braised baby bok choy from the other day. However, the star of the show was some of those lamb shoulder-chops-that-are-practically-rib-chops I am always prattling on about. They were cut nice and thick this time, so I was able to get a nice crust on them while still keeping them medium rare. I also made a "Poor man's Bearnaise sauce." I cooked up shallots in vinegar and white wine, with tarragon, but then did NOT add the egg yolk. Rather, I just mounted half a stick of butter or so for a delicious topping for the lamb.

That's the price I usually get at BJs. Occasionally they'll have a 2-3 dollar off coupon, which makes it a nice deal. Two bags usually last me about a month (I grill 3-4 times a week on average). Weather is supposed to be nice this week, so might hit 5 or 6 times. Guess I need another 30 pack 'o beer.

My first year with charcoal was last year and the 2 bags lasted for the year....lol

In a rush tonight; menu items were good, but simple. I did smashed 'taters (simmered redskins, then smashed, then fried until crispy); Swiss Chard (sauteed with onions, seasoned with red pepper flakes and coriander, braised with ho-made chicken stock); some leftover baby bok choy charred and braised; and the star of the show, a nice, thick ribeye, dry-brined, seared in butter, then served with leftover buttter/vinegar/shallot sauce from last night, with some added fresh thyme to mix things up. All washed down with a bottle of my "meh" WE SI Australian Petit Verdot. It was "meh."

DSCN1188.jpg DSCN1189.jpg

I had a lamb shank in the sous vide hot tub for a coupla days, and we broke it out tonight. It was pretty "lamby" tasting (more later), and was definitely "fall-off-the-bone tender," as you can see below. I also made a mushroom/leek/thyme/garlic compote to go on the lamb; I put the lamb juices from the sous vide bag into this, and it tasted, well, pretty dang lamby/gamey. So I decided to redirect the taste profile a bit, and used quite a bit of smoked paprika in the compote. This worked out well: when smothered with the compote, the lamb meat and sauce all gelled nicely and tasted like a smoked dish.
I made roasted artichoke halves, and roasted asparagus with Asiago cheese topping. Finally, I also made orzo (i.e., small pasta grains) in a risotto style (with shallots, sherry, and ho-made chicken stock), and then added lots of grated Asiago cheese and minced parsley.

This was all washed down with a 4-yr old CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo.

DSCN1191.jpg DSCN1192.jpg

I had a lamb shank in the sous vide hot tub for a coupla days, and we broke it out tonight. It was pretty "lamby" tasting (more later), and was definitely "fall-off-the-bone tender," as you can see below. I also made a mushroom/leek/thyme/garlic compote to go on the lamb; I put the lamb juices from the sous vide bag into this, and it tasted, well, pretty dang lamby/gamey. So I decided to redirect the taste profile a bit, and used quite a bit of smoked paprika in the compote. This worked out well: when smothered with the compote, the lamb meat and sauce all gelled nicely and tasted like a smoked dish.
I made roasted artichoke halves, and roasted asparagus with Asiago cheese topping. Finally, I also made orzo (i.e., small pasta grains) in a risotto style (with shallots, sherry, and ho-made chicken stock), and then added lots of grated Asiago cheese and minced parsley.

This was all washed down with a 4-yr old CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo.

:HB

I think we need to name Paul the Lamb-man :)

Suits me fine!

We eat a lot of lamb for a coupla-tree reasons. I have ready access to high-quality lamb via one of my local grocery stores (small, independent chain). Secondly, we love its flavor! (Whereas I said that the shank above was a bit too lamby for my tastes, my DW loved it.) And last, the lamb I get is raised largely on pasture, so you get higher omega-3's. (I generally cannot get myself to pay the extra dosh for grass-fed beef, at least not on a regular basis.)

I wish the rest of my family liked lamb. My Mom would make it about once every month, it was an event in our house growing up (loved the brown gravy she made from the juice and burnt garlic she coated it with, and the garlicy taters, with enough garlic to make any vampires take notice).:(

Latest posts

Back