What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of omega-3's, it was salmon night! I very much prefer salmon steaks to filets, as then I have a fighting chance of not overcooking them, and cooking them fairly evenly. Marinated in soy/lime, then set into a hot pan to broil for a few minutes/side. Came out med. rare, like she ordered. :) This was topped by a mango/tomato salsa with jalapenos that my DW picked up. Rounded this out with some of that leftover orzo from upthread, and some lacinato kale braised with ho-made chicken stock and seasoned with ground fennel and cardamom (which I thought might go okay with the salsa, and it worked out pretty good). Also had leftover roasted artichoke half from the other night, and all washed down with some WE LE Oregon Pinot Noir.

DSCN1193.jpg DSCN1195.jpg

Steak night (and chicken for my oldest, who suddenly doesn't eat steak). A few hours in the SV, followed by a rub of MSS for the steak and some Stubbs chicken rub on the BSBs. Broccolini and oven fries on the side.

IMG_6540.JPG

IMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6542.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh why not, especially today! LOL

71sG5z%2B4ICL._SL1500_.jpg

Yesterday, spring/summer arrived! We decided to cook out (grill) for the first time of the season. Marinated some boneless, skinless Chx thighs in soy, sesame, and garlic, then grilled. Sauteed some baby Brussels sprouts with bacon, and served with some bread laden with lots of cheese. We decided this was enough for a unexpectedly warm Friday. Broke out a chilled, cheap bottle of WA state Chardonnay to make everything better!

DSCN1196.jpg DSCN1197.jpg DSCN1198.jpg DSCN1200.jpg

DIdn't rain much yesterday, so got a lot of rototilling done while the WSM Bullet was working. Had set up a snake of charcoal just before I had to go pickup my daughter from her SAT test, when I came back I realized that vent control is needed when using that method in the bullet. My temps were ~350*F and the ribs and turkey breast were almost finished, so cooled it down to ~210*F and let it hang out and cook slower for another three hours. Ribs turned out incredibly tender and had a bacon-like flavor to them, the wife and kids loved them.

5-5-18_wsm-1.jpg 5-5-18_wsm-2.jpg 5-5-18_wsm-3.jpg

Ribs turned out incredibly tender and had a bacon-like flavor to them....

Smithfield brand, by chance? Their (and other 'big' brands) ribs are packed in a 'solution' and basically become cured. To me they taste very hammy.

Carne asada and chicken tacos tonight. Cinco de Mayo being yesterday, we're having Taco Tuesday twice this week - neither one on a Tuesday.

Smithfield brand, by chance? Their (and other 'big' brands) ribs are packed in a 'solution' and basically become cured. To me they taste very hammy.
They were a field of some sort, not sure if it was Smithfield or Hatfield. Ham, bacon, it's all good. Pork fat is one of life's essential nutrients. Smoked pork fat will assure you of a long and happy life, much like dry red wine.

THE SNAKE! Craig (and his youtube links) taught me about the snake, and I found (a modicum of) success the first time out! It was also ribs for us. I set up a snake on my weber, and it worked. I held it right about 250F for nearly 4 hours without much fuss (and I used some leftover, used-up oak cubes from wine kits for smoke). It was quite nice, although not really fall-off-the-bone tender. (For this, I blame only my late start; should have gotten it on a few hours earlier). Also cooked some corn on the grill, cut it off the cob, and seasoned with butter/garlic/cumin; beans with onions and smoked paprika; and collard greens with onions braised in ho-made chicken stock. Washed down with a WTSO find, and old-vines Garnacha from Spain.

Speaking of snakes, our dinner guest had just returned from a trip to Indonesia. Late one afternoon, as they were preparing to call it a night, a 7-foot snake slithered across the road, made a beeline for their cabin, and settled underneath it. They called the management and asked if they could be moved to a different cabin, but none were available. They call this "The Night of No Sleep."

DSCN1201.jpg DSCN1202.jpg DSCN1203.jpg

Did you wrap in foil?

I set up a snake on my weber, and it worked. I held it right about 250F for nearly 4 hours without much fuss (and I used some leftover, used-up oak cubes from wine kits for smoke). It was quite nice, although not really fall-off-the-bone tender. (For this, I blame only my late start; should have gotten it on a few hours earlier).

Grilled skinless, boneless chicken thighs with a spicy Asian glaze. Had it with simple buttered noodles and washed it down with one of my best (a 2014 Chilean Cab). yummy!

thumbnail1.jpg

For the glaze...

Equal parts sriracha, honey, and Soy Sauce. Then added about 6 cloves of garlic, a splash of red wine vinegar, and a generous amount of black pepper. I trimmed the fat off of the thighs, then marinated them for 24 hours.

Simple, easy, and some of the best chicken I ever had!!!

For BB's I do a modified version of the 3-2-1 method you hear about all the time and they have been turning out PDG if I do say so myself.

2 hours on the grill (1 hour each side) then wrap in foil for 2 hours, (this is what makes them fall off the bone tender) and then unwrap for the last hour to tighten up the bark. They may only need 15-30 mins more depending on how hot your fire is so no need to cook any longer than to tighten as they are more than done (tender wise) when they come out of the foil. Also I spritz apple juice on them about every hour or so to keep moist and especially spritz hard when they go in the foil to make more steam. Since I have a two tier grill on my Kamado I put a pan of water on the lower grill for added moisture and to act as a heat deflector for the meat as well.

I did not. I had vague plans to, but life got in the way! What is your preferred protocol?

IMG_3118.jpg

This week I'm going to try that Mike, with the snake method on my charcoal.
We always like to buy the pre-seasoned ribs at Costco and wife always cook them in the oven, and they come out real good, but cannot wait to cook them outside.

Let me know what time dinner is!

This week I'm going to try that Mike, with the snake method on my charcoal.
We always like to buy the pre-seasoned ribs at Costco and wife always cook them in the oven, and they come out real good, but cannot wait to cook them outside.

For some reason Southwest Airlines is having trouble filling seats these days and they are having some fantastic sales on airfare especially in the North East. I understand the window seat in aisle 14 is always open as well,

Coming in with your private jet?.... LOL

Back