What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCN1182.jpg DSCN1183.jpg

A little while ago, I complained/confessed to making a real hash out of some very nice flounder filets. They were so delicate that they fell apart. I go some guidance from @JohnT and @ceeaton :

I do not cook flounder in a pan for just that reason. I bake them so that I do not have to flip.

I make up a wash of egg and half'n-half, dredge in GF baking flour, wash, dredge in GF bread crumbs (usually seasoned w/Italian seasoning and Parmesan). But that adds a few more calories with the oil (I usually use canola oil @ 380*F).

Well, I tried baking, and it worked out fairly well. I buttered a cookie sheet, put the delicate filets on it, then topped with a mixture of Asiago cheese, bread crumbs, and butter. I baked this at 420F for ~12 mins., and it worked out nicely. Still delicate, but I could transfer to plates without shredding it! (The baking-sheet shot was before dinner; the fish hadn't begin cooking yet !)

I also made roasted green cauliflower (which no longer looked green at the end), slathered with butter and seasoned with garlic and cumin; also made that fennel/onion dish I have been talking up recently: sauteed/caramelized fresh fennel and onion, add garlic, and braised in ho-made chicken stock. Finally, made some pearl (or Israeli) cous-cous seasoned with the fennel fronds. Life is pretty good!

Last edited:
Off today and decided to try my hand at a "poor man's brisket" aka chuck roast. Supposed to be very flavorable and tender like a brisket. Smith's had them on sale last week for $2.99lb in the family pack which is pretty good deal. Cooking the same way using the same seasonings. Will wrap at 165 and then cook until internal temp ~203F. Some people make burnt ends of the whole thing. Guess we will see.

IMG_3235.jpg

Last edited:
Off today and decided to try my hand at a "poor man's brisket" aka chuck roast. Supposed to be very flavorable and tender like a brisket. Smith's had them on sale last week for $2.99lb in the family pack which is pretty good deal. Cooking the same way using the same seasonings. Will wrap at 165 and then cook until internal temp ~203F. Some people make burnt ends of the whole thing. Guess we will see.

View attachment 48334
I read this to my wife and she reminded me that we had the last two chuck roasts from the half beef we got last year still in the freezer. Guess what we are going to have on Sunday. They are thawing nicely now.

Should work as long as you do indirect heat and keep it moist. I use aluminum pan on my long cooks and spritz with apple juice as well. especially when I wrap. You want that steam to help break down the fats in the meat.

Want to try that on the Weber charcoal kettle

Want to try that on the Weber charcoal kettle
Here's an example:

Only thing I do different, is I control the heat with the bottom vents and leave the top open 100%. A "snake" for me, 1/2 way around the grill lasts at least 6 hours. If it's really windy I try and protect the grill from the direct wind or I have trouble maintaining the 225*F temp I'm looking for. I use the Kingsford professional briquets, they seem to burn really well and don't leave a bunch of ash. The normal Kingsford leaves some unburnt briquets, not a biggie, you can use them during another cooking session.

Edit: also another nice link, (https://www.grillbeast.com/blog/gri...ing-the-minion-and-snake-methods-for-smoking/) has the minion method in there as well. Though I used the minion method with some Royal Oak charcoal once, and it didn't turn out very well. I stick to one of the Kingsford brands at this point (just not the one laced with starter fluid).

Last edited:
It worked out pretty nicely tonight, and even came together quickly. I microwaved two ears of corn, then broiled them to give a little char. I cut those kernels off the cob, then sauteed them with lots of butter, garlic, and a chopped scallion, seasoned with lots of cumin. Also served this with leftovers of the caramelized fennel & onion dish I described the other day. I made some asparagus that I won't be able to repeat -- I broiled it in olive oil, and seasoned it with a spice mix with truffles and savory herbs I got in Italy, topped with Asiago cheese, and wetted with white Balsamic vinegar. Finally, the protein: I marinated the swordfish in soy sauce, lime juice, and fresh garlic. Then I threw that into a heated pan with foaming butter, and broiled it. I was a little worried I may have overcooked it, but I did in fact catch it in time. Served with a little sourdough bread, it was all lovely. Washed it down with a cheap, delicious Bogle Chardonnay.

DSCN1185.jpg

Here's an example:

Only thing I do different, is I control the heat with the bottom vents and leave the top open 100%. A "snake" for me, 1/2 way around the grill lasts at least 6 hours. If it's really windy I try and protect the grill from the direct wind or I have trouble maintaining the 225*F temp I'm looking for. I use the Kingsford professional briquets, they seem to burn really well and don't leave a bunch of ash. The normal Kingsford leaves some unburnt briquets, not a biggie, you can use them during another cooking session.

Edit: also another nice link, (https://www.grillbeast.com/blog/gri...ing-the-minion-and-snake-methods-for-smoking/) has the minion method in there as well. Though I used the minion method with some Royal Oak charcoal once, and it didn't turn out very well. I stick to one of the Kingsford brands at this point (just not the one laced with starter fluid).

Thanks Craig, will watch those videos. Talking about charcoal, I ran out and need to get more, still go to Costco later today, they seem to carry Kingsford only if I remember.

Kingsford has expanded their lineup of specialty flavored charcoal's. They have a new Cherrywood out now. I really like this one as well.

kfordapp66.png

Thanks Craig, will watch those videos. Talking about charcoal, I ran out and need to get more, still go to Costco later today, they seem to carry Kingsford only if I remember.

In 2-3 weeks, Lowes and Home Depot will have Kingsford at basically half off. 2, 20lb bags for ten bucks. I usually stock up at that time.

Latest posts

Back