What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For BB's I do a modified version of the 3-2-1 method you hear about all the time and they have been turning out PDG if I do say so myself.

2 hours on the grill (1 hour each side) then wrap in foil for 2 hours, (this is what makes them fall off the bone tender) and then unwrap for the last hour to tighten up the bark. They may only need 15-30 mins more depending on how hot your fire is so no need to cook any longer than to tighten as they are more than done (tender wise) when they come out of the foil. Also I spritz apple juice on them about every hour or so to keep moist and especially spritz hard when they go in the foil to make more steam. Since I have a two tier grill on my Kamado I put a pan of water on the lower grill for added moisture and to act as a heat deflector for the meat as well.
Yeah, I think the foil is the key step - I do 3 hours uncovered, two hours wrapped (add some apple juice or cider or apple cider vinegar with some water to the foil), then unwrap and finish with some sauce after they firm up a bit. The last batch I was in a hurry for at the end and firmed them on the grill (and had a fire on the dark end of the rack when I wasn't watching). Still want to do another batch on the WSM when I can be around to get the vents set correctly in the beginning. So far the kettle grill has been much easier to maintain a good temperature range (225-250).

I found that for the smaller BB's the 3-2-1 timeline was overcooking them on my Kamado grill. Switched to the 2-2-1 for BB's and they are perfect. Now if you are cooking the larger "country style ribs or St. Louis Style the 3-2-1 was definitely the way to go. YMMV as they say!

I found that for the smaller BB's the 3-2-1 timeline was overcooking them on my Kamado grill. Switched to the 2-2-1 for BB's and they are perfect. Now if you are cooking the larger "country style ribs or St. Louis Style the 3-2-1 was definitely the way to go. YMMV as they say!
Yes, I'm usually doing the larger St Louis cuts. If I do BB I need two racks, SLSR I only need one now that my oldest is no longer at home.

I had some grass-fed beef shortribs to play with. DW is going on a business trip, so I decided to rush them and cook sous vide for ~20 hours at 170F, instead of longer and cooler. They were still fall-off-the-bone tender, as you can see in the first picture! To go with the meat, I made duxelles of 'shrooms, with a Bogle Merlot reduction along with shallots, thyme, and the juice of the short rib. Also, polenta, with lots of blue cheese crumbles. And a left-over grilled artichoke. Finally, I also made baby bok choy (charred, and braised in sherry and ho-made chicken stock, with marjoram, coriander, and ancho chile powder).

DSCN1206.jpg

DSCN1205.jpg

We had a minor occasion to celebrate at the Grapes household, so I made a nice shrimp and pasta dish. I usually get my shrimp from @jamesngalveston's company, but I am out of those Gulf shrimp, so it was generic 30-count shrimp for me tonight. I sauteed them HARD for a few minutes in a smoking wok. I removed the shrimp, then cooled the wok a bit and cooked diced 'shroooms and shallots. Added some garlic and seasonings, and diced preserved lemons. then cooled things down with sherry. I added the shrimp back in, just heated it through, added lots of fresh basil shreds, then set aside. Meanwhile, I made sauteed endive, with lots of garlic and EVOO, then braised in sherry at the end. I served the shrimp mixture over angel-hair pasta, and topped with shredded Asiago cheese (not shown). This was all washed down with a cheap Bogle chardonnay, which is well worth its small cost.

DSCN1207.jpg DSCN1209.jpg

@sour_grapes : is that a cast iron wok?

No, it is so-called hammered steel. It was a VERY cheap wok; I don't really recall because I've had it for ~25 years, but it was maybe $15? But it works very well and I like it. The thing that makes me laugh was it was obviously just a pressed steel wok, and then someone hammered on it for about 2 minutes to make some impressions on it! Too funny.

One thing that is nice is that my stovetop has cast-iron grates that can be removed, revealing a bowl-shaped burner that is awesome for a wok.

No, it is so-called hammered steel. It was a VERY cheap wok; I don't really recall because I've had it for ~25 years, but it was maybe $15? But it works very well and I like it. The thing that makes me laugh was it was obviously just a pressed steel wok, and then someone hammered on it for about 2 minutes to make some impressions on it! Too funny.

One thing that is nice is that my stovetop has cast-iron grates that can be removed, revealing a bowl-shaped burner that is awesome for a wok.
I had to get rid of my nice steel wok (my Mom got it for me when I moved out of the house, thinking she really was happy when I did). Got rid of it when we bought a ceramic top stove, wasn't really recommended for it. I have an electric one now that has a mind of it's own, at least it is on "high heat" all the time. Cooks nice but isn't as big as the 'ol steel wok.

Which one would you pick?

If I believed that the pics were a true representation of the product, I'd pick the strip. The ribeyes that are depicted have very little spinalis (the strip of fat marbled meat that surrounds the leaner core), which is my favorite part of the ribeye and has most of the flavor in the cut. Might just by the lobster tails since I'm not a big strip fan.......................

Last edited:
Although I really like the ribeye, the strip steak at that price is tempting....lol
I agree with your comments John about the rib-eye.

I will ask the wife to go check it out, I think rib-eye is in for tomorrow.
I'd say though, that the rib-eye at Costco is right now $8.99/lb (I think?, need to check, it may be $7.99/lb) and it is gorgeous looking

Latest posts

Back