What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pizza night, and only me and the two youngest around. Oldest daughter at an invitational track meet, wifey celebrating her 50th with a girl friend at a bar, you see where we (I) rate. Boy wanted some taco meat, which I obligated, two burgers on some charcoal, then cut up and ho-made taco seasoning added (GF). Youngest wanted a cheese pizza, so made some pizza dough and spit it in half, some for her pizza, some for MINE. Ended up making a pulled chicken grilled pizza, very yummy!

4-20-18_grilled-pizza.jpg
Also went to BJs and bought a pack of nice strip steaks. About 1" thick and only $7.99/lb (Just under a pound a piece). Will do them and some twice baked taters on Sunday, since boy and wifey have to attend some sort of "History Bee" down in Bal-ti-more tomorrow. Nice to know someone in the family inherited my smarts.

4-20-18_steaks.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight, we enjoyed the world's smallest pork shoulder (~2 lbs). I seasoned this with fresh thyme, rosemary, and garlic, and roasted it at low temp (~250F) for ~5 hours, then finished it hotter later (as described below). I was working around other obligations in late afternoon, but wanted to cook the shoulder low-and-slow, too. So, in the first session with the pork, I roasted it, some artichokes, and cooked up some beans (legumes) that I started soaking last night. I also roasted a Delicata squash, and also reduced some grape tomatoes to "sundried" (i.e., oven-dried) tomatoes. Then I just turned everything off while tending to the other obligations. Afterwards, I took everything out of the oven, then cranked up the heat to 450F; I then roasted broccoli, put a bark on the pork shoulder, browned up the Delicata, and roasted its seeds into deliciousness. Some lemon juice and garlic rounded out the broccoli, and (at my DW's suggestion) added chimichurri seasonings to the beans (parsley, oregano, garlic, salt, marjoram). This was all washed down with my more recent (~2 yrs) CC Red Mountain Cab. No one complained! :sm

DSCN1176.jpg DSCN1177.jpg DSCN1178.jpg

In ancient times, when I was in college (we has to take notes with a chisel and stone slab) there was this pizzeria in Hoboken NJ. It was famous for its HUGE slices. The slices were so big that only two slices would fit into a standard pizza box.

Well, on Saturday I found myself in Hoboken and was truly shocked to see that the place was still there!

Forgetting how big the slices were, I ordered two with sausage. What was I thinking?? I could barely eat just one.

Best pizza ever! Those poor folks out in Chicago have no idea what they are missing!

Here is a pic. I included a beer and a cell phone to show scale..

thumbnail3.jpg

After pizza, and some errands, we ended up at a micro distillery in Jersey City.

The place was situated amongst torn down and dilapidated industrial buildings. I had my doubts about the place until we went inside. The place was amazingly appointed. You would swear that it was the lobby of a posh Manhattan hotel.

Anyway, after a tour of the place (see pick 2) and doing some sampling, we really needed to get some food in us. As luck would have it, there was a food truck right out in front of the place that made gourmet meatballs. I had the pork/tai sandwich with sriracha, jalapenos, pickled carrots, and cilantro. Spicy bat wonderful (see pick 1)

thumbnail1.jpg
thumbnail2.jpg )..

Beautiful day yesterday and today as well (rain for the next two days, darn). Worked in the yard till it hurt and fired up the kettle grill to do the almost 1 lb a piece strip steaks. Turned out well, though I had the final temp at 153*F, thought they'd be more well done (not for me, but the birthday girl likes them medium well to well done). These look a bit more like medium to me, but very tender and there was nearly 3/4 of a steak left (4 steaks for 5 people). Served with twice baked taters and some corn on the cob (I think from Florida). No one worked on the leftover steak for lunch today, so I can see a steak wrap for lunch tomorrow, yum!

4-22-18_yard.jpg 4-22-18_steak-1.jpg 4-22-18_steak-2.jpg 4-22-18_taters.jpg

Got a late start, but here it is. A half of leftover roasted Delicata squash; braised Swiss Chard with onions, seasoned with marjoram and fennel; mushroom sauce with lots of Vitamin G and sherry; and a dry-brined chuck steak, seared and then topped with a tarragon compound butter.

DSCN1179.jpg

Hmmmm........

Wonder if it burns? LOL

31354793_1810831652280697_3615613631388975104_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back