What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only eat them when I go to Porto's (Cuban) Bakery and Cafe in Los Angeles (Burbank)!

cuban_sandwich_and_mojito_photo_by_alexander_garcia_courtesy_of_portos_2.jpg

that looks yummy Craig, I only eat Cuban sandwich when I go to Miami.

Last edited:
Friday, pizza night. Made three pizzas; a cheese GF pizza, a 1/3 cheese-1/3 pepperoni-1/3 pepperoni w/mojo pork, and a full pie with pepperoni and mojo pork done in the convection oven at 500*F (mine). All turned out well. Picture of my oldest Son programming his new phone he had sent here a few weeks ago. On the way back from BWI he asked, "what's for dinner". Before I answered he said "it's Friday, pizza night" and looked my way to make sure that his suspicions of dinner were correct!

View attachment 45470
View attachment 45469

I know you're enjoying having him home. My son is home from college and requested steak, ribs, shrimp, and oysters while he's home! It will be done.

@JohnT 's meat supplier made a stop off in the "Land of Enchantment" finally. Our local Smiths (Kroger) had standing rib roast on sale for the Holiday's for a measly $4.88/lb. I asked the butcher to grab me on that was still in the cryovac bag and sealed up still so I can freeze for now and cut up later as desired and he found me a nice one. I used an end of the year (thank you) coupon that was for $11 on this guy effectively bringing the cost down to ~$4.00/lb. He will have a date on the K24 Pit Boss sometime in the future!

IMG_3058.jpg

Dinner #7 for my Airman Son who is visiting for the holidays. Will probably get a nasty note from his superior about his weight when he gets back. Grilled sockeye salmon was on the menu tonight (for the boys, oldest daughter stole some to add to a nice looking spinach wrap). About enough to put on two small crackers is all that is left, so I guess it was pretty good! Burgers for my wife and I plus one left for my lunch tomorrow. Served with very cold (with added ice) beer...I forgot and left a few in the 18*F garage last night (was 9*F outside).

12-28-17_salmon.jpg

Big menu last night.

Cream of mushroom. Soup,

Quail salad app - I boned out whole quail, then stuffed stuffed each one with a date that was stuffed with olives, then wrapped the quail with bacon, seared each one, then roasted them in the oven for 45 minutes. Served over a light vinegrette salad.

Then, prime rib, roasted tiny potatoes, thin green beans, au jus, and yourshire pudding.

For dessert, it was chocolate mousse and nut roll.

I served a.ton of appetizers. My favorite was warm brie with a dollop of my home made fig jam.IMG_20180101_112103.jpg IMG_20180101_111846.jpg IMG_20180101_111917.jpg IMG_20180101_112004.jpg IMG_20180101_111815.jpg IMG_20180101_111737.jpg IMG_20180101_111707.jpg

I am done!

I have whipped up 8 big, formal, multi-course meal over the last 3 weeks. I am simply done.

Sandwiches tomorrow.
After pork today, it's burgers and dogs tomorrow. Other than one night I've been making whatever my oldest Son requested since the Friday before Christmas. All joy for me, but I'm about cooked out too.

Plopped the pork into the dutch oven, and let it take care of the details. Came out nice and tender. Served with smashed taters, sauerkraut, gravy, ho made rolls and green beans with sesame seeds (and some oil to coat). Second image is of my daughters meager plate (guess I wouldn't be able to support a "gut" eating sensibly like that). My wife and I enjoyed a Yuengling traditional lager, or two with the meal. Nice to see our Sons plane landed in Dallas/Ft Worth with no issues a few minutes ago. His lengthy text to my wife consisted of "Landed". Oh bother...

1-1-18_pork.jpg 1-1-18_pork-2.jpg

Warning: no pix. Dinner for 9 at my sister's house. For protein, I made a roast pork loin and a whole beef tenderloin. I covered the pork in a fresh rosemary/garlic rub, and the beef tenderloin with sauteed shallots and thyme. I cooked both of them to temperature at 250F, then took out to rest before a final reverse sear at 450 convection. Also had to complicate things for my niece, who insisted on my cutting a slab of tenderloin off and searing it separately. I also made roasted asparagus, while my wife made beer sauerkraut and my sister made mashed potatoes. The meats came out great!

Last edited:
That chicken looks real good, how did you cook it?

Threw some onion, carrot, celery and rosemary in the cavity, along with some Stubb's chicken rub. Rubbed the outside with the rub as well. Set it in a cast iron skillet on top of some carrots celery and onion in a 350F oven. Simple, but good, comfort.

Latest posts

Back