What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly dinner, but here was what was for breakfast. This was assembled from a few leftovers. We had hamburgers last night, so had an extra roll or two. And remember I made a Béarnaise sauce a few nights ago to go with the rib roast? Welll, I had planned to serve the rest of it on the rack of lamb I am making for Christmas eve eve dinner tonight... until I remembered the guest of honor detests tarragon. So, that freed up the Béarnaise sauce... hmmmm, how about ersatz Eggs Benedict, on a toasted hamburger bun, with ho-made bacon and Béarnaise sauce? Not too shabby, actually!

DSCN0832.jpg

Cubanito sandwiches were a hit with my wife. She said it was as good as the catered ones she had. Only issue was that the first one got a little too toasty on the 500*F grill (@ 7 minutes a side), so the second one I did @ 3 minutes a side and it turned out much better. Next time I'll do it on the stove top without the foil, hopefully will help get the correct consistency of the outer crust and inner goodies. Here's a nice video that shows the steps to making it, you can look other places (only like 5000 of them) to find recipes for the cuban bread. Do use lard for the rolls, it really makes a big difference in the final texture.
12-23-17_cubanito-1.jpg 12-23-17_cubanito-2.jpg 12-23-17_cubanito-3.jpg

that looks yummy Craig, I only eat Cuban sandwich when I go to Miami.

that looks yummy Craig, I only eat Cuban sandwich when I go to Miami.
I didn't have the money to fly down for one this weekend, so I decided to make it at home...Plus I knew if I made a good enough one that my wife would continue to adore me. :D

Still think it would go well with an added layer of sauerkraut, but that's my cherman heritage trying to peek through (and my wife who likes sauerkraut said "ewww").

Last edited:
Dinner #2 in honor of my Son being home for the holidays. He's approved the dinners, just not the order we do them in. Grilled eye round roast done on the weber grill (propane). Turned out a little rarer than the girls like, but us boys were in heaven! My better half made the cheddar cheese topped twice baked taters, I made some dinner rolls and added some "green" to the table with blanched/sauteed green beans with lightly browned sesame seed and garlic in some olive oil cut with a tsp of sesame oil. Added a small amount of salt, pepper and soy sauce to enhance the flavor. Everyone but the hotdog queen really liked the beans (my oldest daughter went out of her way to comment on them, which is a very rare event). Just wished more of the juice stayed in the meat, even with a 15+ minute rest there was plenty of red gravy to go around (thought the meat was still really moist and tender).

12-23-17_dinner-1.jpg 12-23-17_dinner-2.jpg 12-23-17_dinner-4.jpg 12-23-17_dinner-3.jpg

and added some "green" to the table with blanched/sauteed green beans with lightly browned sesame seed and garlic in some olive oil cut with a tsp of sesame oil. Added a small amount of salt, pepper and soy sauce to enhance the flavor. Everyone but the hotdog queen really liked the beans (my oldest daughter went out of her way to comment on them, which is a very rare event).

Oh, those beans sound divine. I love sesame -- I should use it more often. I have every manner of sesame (seed, oil, toasted, not toasted), but for some pathological reason, I can't bring myself to use them liberally. Stoooopid me.

We are traveling tomorrow, so we had our big holiday dinner this evening. It was orgiastic. The supposed star of the show was rack of lamb. This was marinated in garlic and rosemary, then cooked low and slow to 125F, and then taken out for an eventual reverse sear. Meanwhile, we made roasted green beans with pecans and lemon zest, and roasted wedges of potatoes with garlic and thyme. I also made roasted quarters of brown mushrooms, then coated with oil and served with thyme, garlic, etc.
But the BOMB was a salad my DW made. It had interesting greens, including lots of basil, but included pecans, ho-made preserved lemons, and crystallized ginger. It was simply fantastic, She just followed a recipe, but it was on par with the best salad you have ever had!!
'Scuse all the pictures ... I couldn't decide what to leeave out!
DSCN0834.jpg DSCN0835.jpg DSCN0836.jpg DSCN0837.jpg DSCN0839.jpg DSCN0840.jpg

Oh, those beans sound divine. I love sesame -- I should use it more often. I have every manner of sesame (seed, oil, toasted, not toasted), but for some pathological reason, I can't bring myself to use them liberally. Stoooopid me.
I love sesame too, and will over use it if I'm allowed. The trick for me was using only enough to add some really good flavor but not so much that the sesame dominated the beans. The kids all liking it was a pretty good sign that I hit the mark. And the wonderful thing about that specific dish is that it "should" go without about any of the simple dishes I make for the family on a regular basis. Thanks to @Boatboy24 giving me the idea with his bean dish a few posts back.

I had a hankering for some Szechuan food tonight so I whipped up this Mapo Tofu. It was good. I love the numbing zing of Szechuan peppercorns.

IMG_4945.jpg

Moro de gandules, empanadas, pasteles en hoja, pork shoulder, potato salad, lasagna.....uffff I’m stuffed [emoji846]

Thick cut bacon and french toast for breakfast this morning. Leftover bacon may find its way onto some bacon cheeseburgers for lunch, if this wind dies down a bit. Online searching for a good GF scalloped potato recipe to go with the ham for dinner.

Back