What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Threw some onion, carrot, celery and rosemary in the cavity, along with some Stubb's chicken rub. Rubbed the outside with the rub as well. Set it in a cast iron skillet on top of some carrots celery and onion in a 350F oven. Simple, but good, comfort.

Yep, sounds simple enough for me. How much time in the oven?

Yep, sounds simple enough for me. How much time in the oven?

Until it's done. LOL!

I like the breast just shy of 160 and the dark meat at 170+. I then rest under foil while I make the gravy and finish everything else up.

Still haven't shaken the Christmas cold. That, combined with schools being closed today and I decided to stay home. As luck would have it, the remains of Monday's chicken were in the fridge. So I roasted off the bones, along w/ some onion, carrot and celery. Now all of that is simmering nicely in a pot with some water and herbs. Ho-made chicken soup coming up for lunch, and probably dinner.

One of my favorite meals, soup wise, is to smoke a couple of whole chickens. Save the carcasses and make chicken broth with those, then make chicken soup with that, adding a bunch of the smoked chicken to it.
Yea, there is no better way to enjoy the smokiness of the chicken (other than the original meal). It really adds a missing dimension to a nice hearty soup when it's cold outside. I'm planning on a batch in the crock pot on either Saturday or Sunday. I have some stock I made a few months back in the freezer, used some pecan to smoke the bird with and am really glad that @ibglowin got me on the pecan kick for chicken. Makes the house smell great plus the added heat from the cooker warms the kitchen, a win-win in my book.

Just came inside after cleaning the snow, maybe 12" total....

Home made Corn bread and Hot chocolate...:br

Here is a leg of lamb I made over a Christmas visit to family:
I like the "rack" that you set the leg on, very inventive! I wish I could turn the kids and my wife to liking lamb, the only success I've had is using ground lamb with spices and a brick on top for pressure to make a gyro like block of meat. We used to have leg of lamb with a lot of garlic and thick brown gravy from the drippings all the time when I was growing up. I miss it!

Last night was ho-made Pizza Night. This one had caramelized onions, ho-made bacon lardons, Castelvetrano olives, porcini mushrooms, and artichoke bottoms.
Pizza and stromboli night for us tonight. Not as fancy as your pizza, Paul, but still pretty good. Simple plain GF pizza and a 3/4 cheese 1/4 pepperoni regular pizza. Stromboli had smoked ham, soppressata and swiss cheese, very yummy. Served with some Yuengling traditional lager (my wife's favorite).

1-5-18_pizzas.jpg 1-5-18_stromboli.jpg

Costco pizza and some RJS WS Super Tuscan (which is finally turning the corner for me, but not quite there yet..)

I like the "rack" that you set the leg on, very inventive! I wish I could turn the kids and my wife to liking lamb, the only success I've had is using ground lamb with spices and a brick on top for pressure to make a gyro like block of meat. We used to have leg of lamb with a lot of garlic and thick brown gravy from the drippings all the time when I was growing up. I miss it!

Yeah, the "rack" comes from when you are cooking at someone else's house! It was my sister-in-law's pan, and I cooked at my MIL's house.

I love lamb, too, as I suspect you have already figured out. Interesting idea to press the ground lamb down with a weight. I usually make "lamburgers" with ground lamb; perhaps I'll give your method a try. Your garlic/gravy description is making me hungry!

Quickie meal of cheese steaks and tater tots (and a carrot and pea blend for those who like veges). Thin sliced the steak and cooked on the stove top in a tinny tiny bit of sesame oil with some fresh garlic and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Had a side of green peppers and onions sauteed in butter. Served with a ho-made English bitter and some hoagie peppers on the side.

1-6-18_cheese-steak-2.jpg

That don't look like cheese whiz to me!

Quickie meal of cheese steaks and tater tots (and a carrot and pea blend for those who like veges). Thin sliced the steak and cooked on the stove top in a tinny tiny bit of sesame oil with some fresh garlic and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Had a side of green peppers and onions sauteed in butter. Served with a ho-made English bitter and some hoagie peppers on the side.

Went out for Mexican last night and had some really good Criollo chicken. A half deboned chicken? Yes please! Anyway, between chips/salsa and dinner with black beans and rice, I had plenty of leftovers. Took the chicken, some rice/beans and the sautéed tomato, pepper and onion that came with it, then chopped it all up and made a great quesadilla. Simple, and somewhat 'free'.

Back