What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, you influenced me, Jim. Actually, you influenced my wife! I described your dinner, and she decided that piccata was the order of the day.

I picked up a nice Lake Superior whitefish filet. I decided to broil it, and add a piccata sauce over it. Seasonings were salt/pepper/fennel, and the piccata sauce featured tons of artichoke hearts, capers, lemon juice, lobster stock, lemon juice, garlic, and white wine. Sides were lacinato kale (onions, garlic, beef stock, red peppre flakes, and marjoram) and seafood risotto (shallots, sherry, ho-made lobster stock, Monte Amore cheese, and heavy cream). Washed down with WE Eclipse Pinot Gris.

DSCN0827.jpg DSCN0828.jpg DSCN0829.jpg DSCN0831.jpg

@sour_grapes : Planning on doing a tenderloin Sous Vide on Christmas day. We will have 18 people here and it will be chaos, with opening presents, etc - otherwise, I'd probably just do it low/slow on the grill with a reverse sear to finish, but I don't want to fuss with it. I'm also doing a turkey breast on the charcoal grill, so I'll be able to focus on that a bit more. I got a Prime tenderloin and really don't want to overdo the SV. I'm thinking 90 minutes, maybe 2 hours tops - searing on the gas grill to finish. What do you think? Too much? Should I just suck it up and grill?

Jim, not sure if I asked but what's the lowest outside temp you used the charcoal grill?
Tips?

Jim, not sure if I asked but what's the lowest outside temp you used the charcoal grill?
Tips?

Outside temp? Probably close to 0F. Tips? Wear a coat! :D

I make sure the charcoal in the chimney is good and flaming before I dump it. Also have some unlit charcoal in the grill and put the lit on top. Let it run for 5-10 minutes with vents wide open. You could even offset the lid by 1/4 inch or so - that'll get a lot of air in there, giving you a screaming hot fire.

What are you trying to cook and how?

@sour_grapes : Planning on doing a tenderloin Sous Vide on Christmas day. We will have 18 people here and it will be chaos, with opening presents, etc - otherwise, I'd probably just do it low/slow on the grill with a reverse sear to finish, but I don't want to fuss with it. I'm also doing a turkey breast on the charcoal grill, so I'll be able to focus on that a bit more. I got a Prime tenderloin and really don't want to overdo the SV. I'm thinking 90 minutes, maybe 2 hours tops - searing on the gas grill to finish. What do you think? Too much? Should I just suck it up and grill?

Yes, I think you have the timing correct on the SV. I think you are safe for ~2 hours, but something like 4 will start to feel mushy.

Douglas Baldwin says it takes quite a bit of time for the center of something as "thick" as a whole tenderloin to come up to temperature. Not sure I believe him!

I make sure the charcoal in the chimney is good and flaming before I dump it. Also have some unlit charcoal in the grill and put the lit on top. Let it run for 5-10 minutes with vents wide open. You could even offset the lid by 1/4 inch or so - that'll get a lot of air in there, giving you a screaming hot fire.

What are you trying to cook and how?

Just a typical ribeye steak, I haven't graduated yet to the big stuff like whole pork leg which you need to cook for hours, which btw I'd really like to try soon.

And gloves! I have some Orvis fly fishing gloves with the finger tips removed that are water (and marinate) proof. Work well as driving gloves too. Leave the beer inside or it will become a beer slushy quickly. Under those conditions wine works way better to marinate the cook.

Friday, pizza night. Made three pizzas; a cheese GF pizza, a 1/3 cheese-1/3 pepperoni-1/3 pepperoni w/mojo pork, and a full pie with pepperoni and mojo pork done in the convection oven at 500*F (mine). All turned out well. Picture of my oldest Son programming his new phone he had sent here a few weeks ago. On the way back from BWI he asked, "what's for dinner". Before I answered he said "it's Friday, pizza night" and looked my way to make sure that his suspicions of dinner were correct!

12-22-17_pizza.jpg
12-22-17_Nick.jpg

Hamburglars tonight. I used that recipe that I have mentioned before: http://www.washingtonian.com/2015/07/02/the-15-step-absolutely-perfect-burger/ . Really, I just add some mayo and fish sauce to the burger, and fry in a cast-iron pan. Tonight I added some Liquid Smoke (TM) in addition tot the fish sauce. Yum.

I also made a new broccoli dish. I had grown to like a protocol where I oven-roasted broccoli slices with oil and garlic, then doused with lemon juice. I decided I could get the good parts of that on the stovetop, and pulled it off. I sliced the broccoli so that every head had a "flat spot," and fried them up in a large cast-iron pan in olive oil until I had some browning. Then I flipped each one and repeated. Next, I added a bunch of minced garlic, and shortly afterwards some ho-made beef broth, and then let it all steam. Yum again.

Lost control this morning of my normal holiday hangout, the kitchen. A cookie production operation slipped in while I was taking a shower. She'll have to clear a small area of counter by lunch or she won't get her cubanito sandwich for lunch (a doctor had a catered lunch last week that included these from a restaurant local to the hospital). Planning on a round eye roast on the grill with twice baked taters and green beans tonight. Thawing the turkey breast for tomorrow's meal and have the 9 lb ham in the fridge for Christmas Day.

12-23-17_cookies.jpg

Last edited:
Back