What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... OH, and it is that time of year again! My local is having there annual Prime Rib sale! $4.77 a pound, but...

- you need to have the coupon, which is only found in the circular that is mailed out. You can not simply pick one up in the store.

- the sale is only for 4 days (this Wednesday through Saturday)

- Limit is 1.

By deception and guile, I have 3 coupons in my hand. My plan is to get 3 "four ribbers". My thinking is that I can always cut them in half.

I am hosting a new years eve dinner. Guess what we are having!

How are you guys now "grilling" steaks inside since it's too cold to fire off the grill?

QUOTE="geek, post: 674682, member: 25505"]How are you guys now "grilling" steaks inside since it's too cold to fire off the grill?[/QUOTE]

It's too cold to fire off the grill?

5212992F-09AC-435F-9ECD-DA2479C4879A.jpeg

Last edited:
QUOTE="geek, post: 674682, member: 25505"]How are you guys now "grilling" steaks inside since it's too cold to fire off the grill?

It's too cold to fire off the grill?

View attachment 45244[/QUOTE]

My deck looks much cleaner and accessible than that one....LOL
I thought the grill wouldn't hold a good temp with these chill temps.

Chicken tenders tonight, breaded in 'italian style' bread crumbs and browned on the stove top. A little pasta tossed with EVOO, black pepper, and parmesan, along with a salad. Simple, belly-filling, and good.

Not precisely on topic, but... has anyone tried an air fryer? I am considering getting one.
Curious about that too. Saw one the other day and wondered about the science behind the cooking. If it was only a constant flow of hot air, my friends and workmates say I can produce that without buying a special device...not really sure what they are talking about...

Curious about that too. Saw one the other day and wondered about the science behind the cooking. If it was only a constant flow of hot air, my friends and workmates say I can produce that without buying a special device...not really sure what they are talking about...

The thing I saw was a Costco video for an appliance that would make crispy wings/egg rolls/potato chips/french fries in like 15 minutes. It also baked frozen biscuits in around 20 minutes at 365 degrees.

We started off with an avocado salad, that is, cubes of avocado with soy sauce, pumpkin seed oil, and sriracha sauce. The main course was grass-fed beef short ribs cooked sous vide, specifically 44 hours at 159F. Also made a mushroom/onion/thyme/Merlot/beef juices reduction sauce. Starch was a polenta made with heavy cream and gorgonzola cheese. (Can you say "rich"? I knew you could!) For a veggie, I made escarole with garlic and shallots, and braised with sherry. All washed down with CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab.

DSCN0792.jpg DSCN0796.jpg DSCN0798.jpg

Not precisely on topic, but... has anyone tried an air fryer? I am considering getting one.

Yes, we have an air fryer. It works fine. It's basically a convection oven that looks like a fry basket. I do find the basket too small in many ways. If I were to do it again, I'd buy one of the counter top convection ovens instead of the air fryer.

Yes, we have an air fryer. It works fine. It's basically a convection oven that looks like a fry basket. I do find the basket too small in many ways. If I were to do it again, I'd buy one of the counter top convection ovens instead of the air fryer.
Thanks for the info. I too have kept looking at the air fryers and wondering. I have both a counter top and full size convection oven so I guess I'll be happy with them

Consumer Reports just reviewed the Phillips Air Fryer. In short they like it as well as the food coming out of it. They mostly state "don't overload it"....... So it sounds like you can cook like 4 wings at a time or 20 fries........ Our new oven is a convection oven so I think next time we do fries in the oven I will just try that setting as well as use a grate to lift the fries off the pan for more even air circulation. They are no doubt selling a gazillion of these things for Xmas. Most of which will more than likely be in garage sales this Summer I suspect.

Our new oven is a convection oven so I think next time we do fries in the oven I will just try that setting as well as use a grate to lift the fries off the pan for more even air circulation.
I set our convection oven at 500*F to do my pizza. The wife and kids like it a little less "crispy" so I do their pizzas first at ~ 425, then crank it up for daddy's pizza. It does a nice job on the pizza (and warming the kitchen up in winter).

We filled our teeth with those lamb shoulder chops that I am always yammering about. Tonight I dry-brined 'em, then pan-seared 'em with butter, and seasoned with ground coriander, garlic, and fennel. Deglazed the pan with sherry for a bit of a pan sauce. I also made smashed 'taters (simmered, smashed, and fried) in copious quantities of olive oil :D, and seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning. Beets were roasted the other day, and then diced, and served with shallots macerated in sherry vinegar, and served with olive oil, vinegar, and tarragon dressing. The rest of the sauteed beet greens from the other day rounded the plate out. DSCN0791.jpg

Not for dinner, but my afternoon activity while I drank some beer. I'm sure my youngest daughter and her friend would love to make them their dinner tonight, but the cookies are mostly reserved for one of the desserts for lunch tomorrow after the kids play. I'll keep a few out for the non-GF kids, but not too many since my wife gravitates towards anything with sugar (as the rest of her family does, no wonder most of them have Type II diabetes). Image #1 is of chocolate crinkles, #2 is the Nestle Trollhouse cookie recipe off the bag of morsels with 1/4 cup of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa powder, very rich, I like them and I'm not much of a cookies lover (I usually have another beer when out to dinner in lieu of dessert).

12-16-17_cookies-1.jpg 12-16-17_cookies-2.jpg

Got up into the low 40's today, felt pretty nice (verses 24 and windy this morning). Giant had some bargain basement priced wings, so decide to grill and listen to some Lions and Bears (oh my) on the wireless and enjoyed a nice grilling session. Served with some peas and ho-made mac'n cheese (a nice blend of Wisconsin, NY and Vermont cheddar cheese).

12-16-17_wings.jpg
12-16-17_mac-n-cheese.jpg

Back