What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I found it for reals thanks to you and to Google. It is the Villa La Rotonda. Here is a nice page about it:

http://www.themorgan.org/collection...t=collection/printed-books-and-bindings/72939

This illustration presents a plan and an elevation of Palladio's Villa La Rotonda, just outside Vicenza. The design is for a completely symmetrical building with a square plan around a central circular hall with a dome. Each of the four facades has a portico.

palladio_pml76057.jpg

Larotonda2009.JPG

Pretty nice day for early December around these parts, got up into the mid 40's. Fired up the smoker to do a turkey breast and some salmon for my youngest son. Sorry the image was a bit blurry, must have been stumbling when I took the picture (though I've pretty much behaved today for some unknown reason).

12-2-17-smoker-1.jpg 12-2-17-smoker-2.jpg

Image of the finished plate. Mashed taters (using half and half, sour cream and some parmesean), broccoli, and potato bread stuffing.

12-2-17_dinner.jpg

Last edited:
If I had a dime for each time I forgot to take a picture, I would be rich!

For the "after the competition" dinner, I made my own take on beef bourguignon.

I purchased 3 chuck roasts (the cut we would normally use for pot roast). I cut each roast into 4, 4" by 4" by 3 inch portions. A total of 12 portions!.

I took 1/2 pound of diced bacon and rendered out all the fat. I then removed the bacon, seasoned the meat, then browned each portion in the fat in 3 batches. Once browned, I removed them from the pan.

I then remove the remaining fat from the pan and added 1 finely diced onion and 1 large finely diced carrot. once sweated, I deglazed the pan with 2 cups of beef broth. In another pan, I sautéed 2.5 pounds of sliced, fresh, button mushrooms.

Time to assemble! In a large roasting pan, I spread out 1 sprig of rosemary leaves, and a good fist of thyme all over the bottom of the pan. I then add in the portions of meat, evenly spaced. I then add the mushrooms and the deglazing liquid.

Last, but not least, I add a full bottle of red wine.

I then wrap the pan tightly with tin foil, and place into an oven for 2 hours at 325.

At the end of 2 hours, I add frozen, peeled, pearl onions and a thick diced carrot. I replace the cover and bake for another 2 hours.

It was yummy. I served it over garlic mashed potatoes. I had to be careful serving it as the meat was falling apart!

I really wish I had a pic!

On a whim, I bought 2 lbs of mussels this evening. I made collard greens to go with it, but my wife (I am totally blaming her for this, justified or not) distracted me, and I screwed it up. The chicken stock dried up and I burned the greens into a bitter mess. Into the garbage! However, the main course was, well, freaking delicious. Started with about 1/4 lb of ho-made bacon, cut into lardons. Fried those up in olive oil; when crisped, I added 1/2 stick butter and shallots, and eventually a few cloves of minced garlic. Then added about 1/2 bottle of ho-made Pinot Gris/Viogner and 2 lbs of Prince Edward Island mussels. Served this over linguine, and it was divine. Washed down with a bottle of ho-made Pinot Gris/Viogner, and then supplemented this with ho-made straight Pinot Gris. We topped off our tanks with leftovers from the on-going winemaking, viz., some sloppy seconds from the Syrah, and some press wine from the first run of the Syrah.

Pictures or it didn't happen @sour_grapes !

Kind of wet and nasty and a bit windy tonight, so we went for "easy" and cooked inside. Grilled cheese for some (made some ho-made turkey and rice soup for my Son), and leftovers for others (some fried Tilapia, turkey and mashed taters, etc). I was in the mood for pasta, and my wife "won" a wine and cheese basket a couple of weeks ago, that included a dried Italian sausage (Boars Head brand), so I decided on a quickie pasta dish. Onion and red pepper (sweated) in olive oil, diced maters, garlic, oregano, sliced sausage and a little chicken broth to help make a sauce out of the tomatoes. Some farfalle pasta and finished with a cup or so of grated parmesean cheese. Very simple and quick but also quite delicious. And I took the time to take a picture, because youzes are all worth the time!

12-5-17_pasta.jpg

Took one from @ibglowin 's playbook tonight. Sealed up some thighs and BSB with the Foodsaver, with some Soy Vey Island Teriyaki marinade, then put in the SV of about an hour and a half at 155F. It got rainy and nasty during that time, so instead of firing up the grill, I fired up the CI skillet on the stovetop. Got the chicken browned and held it in the oven. Meanwhile, I whipped up some ho-made fried rice and steamed some broccoli, which I then sautéed in a bit of oil, garlic and soy sauce. Washed down with some Kung Fu Girl Riesling. Nice weeknight dinner.

fullsizeoutput_3430.jpeg

Kind of wet and nasty and a bit windy tonight, so we went for "easy" and cooked inside. Grilled cheese for some (made some ho-made turkey and rice soup for my Son), and leftovers for others (some fried Tilapia, turkey and mashed taters, etc). I was in the mood for pasta, and my wife "won" a wine and cheese basket a couple of weeks ago, that included a dried Italian sausage (Boars Head brand), so I decided on a quickie pasta dish. Onion and red pepper (sweated) in olive oil, diced maters, garlic, oregano, sliced sausage and a little chicken broth to help make a sauce out of the tomatoes. Some farfalle pasta and finished with a cup or so of grated parmesean cheese. Very simple and quick but also quite delicious. And I took the time to take a picture, because youzes are all worth the time!

View attachment 45138

I would double or triple like this if it were allowed.

Fair warning: No pictures!

I bought a strip steak, only to realize that my DW had set out some ground beef that we needed to use up. Hmmm, what can I make with ground beef that isn't hamburgers (no buns)... How about meatloaf! And, perfectly, I happened to have every ingredient for a generic meatloaf on hand (onions, stale bread, carrots, eggs, parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, sage...). In addition, I made polenta with blue cheese, and turnip greens and onions with cardamom, ground fennel, and capers. I also whipped up a chimichurri sauce (in case the meatloaf turned out bad! :) ) with the usual ingredients (parsley, garlic, oregano, marjoram, salt, vinegar, oil).

Hey, You can't use that word! Only we from New Jersey can use that word!

LOL :)

Yous guys don’t need argue. I’ve lived on both sides of the river, and yous don’t realize how much youzes slang changes section to section. It’s when y’all head out to Pittsburgh when all yinz slang takes a drastic turn.

Yous guys don’t need argue. I’ve lived on both sides of the river, and yous don’t realize how much youzes slang changes section to section. It’s when y’all head out to Pittsburgh when all yinz slang takes a drastic turn.
We git lot's of you-ins (uins or uinz) from our Ball-tee-more friends to our south.

Perfectly put!

We git lot's of you-ins (uins or uinz) from our Ball-tee-more friends to our south.

I actually did not know that people from Bal'more said "you-ins." Learn something new every day!

Perfectly put!

I actually did not know that people from Bal'more said "you-ins." Learn something new every day!
Just don't get too close to them, you might catch the quinsy if you don't be car-full 'bout you prox-siminy to them all (there now could be added to the sentence if you relocated from Lancaster County to Bal'more).

We git Bal'more, Ball-tee-more, and Ball-moron around these parts...

Just don't get too close to them, you might catch the quinsy if you don't be car-full 'bout you prox-siminy to them all (there now could be added to the sentence if you relocated from Lancaster County to Bal'more).

We git Bal'more, Ball-tee-more, and Ball-moron around these parts...

My impression was that people from Baltimore said "Bal'more," and people from Philly and environs said "Bal-tee-more." Kind of like the way my mom says "beau-tee-ful" or "Ack-a-mee."

At least I know you are saying "Lancaster" correctly. Out in the wild, people tend to say "Lan-CAST-er," instead of the proper LANk'ster. :slp

Last edited:
As Mike would say, I pushed the "Easy" button this evening. We're trying to clean out the freezer, and we have lots of leftovers. As a result, I used polenta from the other night, plus frozen asparagus and a frozen mushroom medley from Trader Joe's. The star was a bone-in strip steak. I dry-brined that, and then pan-seared for ~3'/side in lots of butter. After steaming the asparagus in its bag in the microwave, I coated it with melted butter and tarragon. This was a VERY easy meal, but quite nice all the same. Washed down with the rest of last night's CC Showcase Argentinian Malbec, which is really coming into its own.
DSCN0784.jpg DSCN0785.jpg

Back