What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Ack-a-mee."
How about "Hack-a-mee"?
At least I know you are saying "Lancaster" correctly. Out in the wild, people tend to say "Lan-CAST-er," instead of the proper LANk'ster. :slp
Funny thing is that the station ID announcement for Channel 8 (NBC) out of Lank'ster (York and Harrisburg) pronounce it Land-CAST-er for some unknown reason, and I know the announcer was born in the Lank'ster area.

Though back to the thread, you can get some good food in Lank'ster for sure, even if you visit from Ball-tee-more.

Burger night here, as we prepare for snowpocalypse. Granted, it is a little early for us to have snow of any kind. So 1-3 (or 3-6, depending where you are), is a little exciting. Same thing happened last year though and it ended up being a pretty pathetic year for snowfall.

Friday night, pizza night. Made a traditional 1/2 plain cheese, 1/2 pepperoni & cheese for the others. Mine had a crust with some added basil pesto, pepperoni, smoked ham, meatloaf (lamb/turkey burger based), shrooms and some fresh garlic. Cooked up a batch of sauce from "scratch". Nice to run the oven in the evening, warms the whole kitchen up most of the night. Hoping it will snow lightly tomorrow since we plan on going to cut a tree to decorate.

12-8-17_pizza.jpg

Not the world's best photographic work, but...
Rather than go out to dinner on a Friday, we made a somewhat decadent dinner at home. For starters, I made broiled hearts of romaine with a lemon/olive oil/macerated shallots/olive oil/tarragon dressing. The main course was steamed snow crab clusters, served with a tarragon/lemon/butter sauce. I also made a pasta side dish with a seafood sauce, containing reduced lobster stock, butter, cream, mushrooms, shallots, capers and garlic.

The funny thing is, I spent about 90% of my prep time on the pasta dish, and we spent 90% of our eating time enjoying the snow crab.... :slp

Had to get up "normal time" so I could get my daughter to work by 6 am. Stopped to look for "fall of the back of the truck" savings at Giant, not much to choose from, I think I got there before the mark down employee got there, so picked up some odds and ends to make a beef stew in the crock pot for today, and some chicken for Chicken Parmesan for dinner tomorrow. Will serve the stew with wide egg noodles for the gluten tolerant crowd, not sure what the GF Son wants yet, he's got a few hours to make up his mind (he'll probably go for jasmine rice).

Now off to hunt the prefect Christmas tree since dinner is taken care of!

Edit: Oh my word, the house is starting to smell really really good, and it's not the newly cut tree (which is still outside on the porch, have to overcome a bent trunk).

12-9-17_stew-1.jpg 12-9-17_stew-2.jpg 12-9-17_stew-3.jpg 12-9-17-stew-4.jpg

Last edited:
Finished product. It was really good, even my "hotdog" daughter liked the meat and noodles (not much for the veges). I admit I'd prefer it with some stout beer instead of the wine, but we have to include our gluten challenged child, and he loved it with the wine (though he didn't know that was in it or that I used turnips instead of potatoes (hold up better w/o falling apart)). Beef was incredibly tender, could tell it would be good, it was a 2 1/2 inch thick slab of chuck, nice marbling, which melted away in the 9 hour stint in the crockpot (on low for the most part). Peas and some fresh garlic added during the last 30 minutes before dinner. Served on a bed of egg noodles (GF child had penne pasta).

12-9-17_stew-final.jpg

It's Christmas season... I want to post a pic of my chicken parmesan, and a pice from roudalph, but the pics are too large.. shhhhheeeesh!

It's Christmas season... I want to post a pic of my chicken parmesan, and a pice from roudalph, but the pics are too large.. shhhhheeeesh!
Most cameras will let you resize the image before transferring them to your PC/Mac/whatever. Get a younger member of the family (I'm thinking nephews or nieces here) to help you figure it out. I employ my kids all the time, my oldest daughter is especially good at this as she is more patient than I am, and I know I'm a difficult student most times.

Baking some acorn squash, with the cavity stuffed with garlic slices, maple syrup, and bulk pork currywurst sausage. (Wife's recipe!) Will be served with a side of sauteed beet greens. (Also roasting the beets to which the greens were attached, but that will be served on another night!)

Frankly I have a very hard time pairing wines with beet greens or Swiss chard. There's something about them that clashes in the mouth. It may be the oxalates in the greens. Anyway, when I doubt go for something with acidity to cut through fat and fruit/sweetness to match the dish. With the squash and maple syrup, maybe a lighter bodied fruity zinfandel.

Last night was steak night at the johnT homestead.

I could not resist when I saw them in the store. Just look at how well marbled these shell steaks were!

So, steak, baked potatoes, mushrooms, and pan seared steak (with butter, garlic, and rosemary). A perfect sunday meal that took about 20 minutes to make (except for the potatoes).

The steak just melted in my mouth. I think I may be getting my meat from the back of a different truck from now on.

eight.jpg seven.jpg Two.jpg ten.jpg four.jpg

Back