What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have family arriving this week, so Saturday was spent helping the wife clean the house. Since time was limited, and it was rather cold outside (in the teens) I wanted to make something that I could just throw together and simmer. A perfect scenario for Chilli!!!!

I like mine loaded with shredded cheddar cheese. Made a sweet corn bread to go with it.

Yummy!

thumbnail[1] (2).jpg

Sunday was a big deal.

My brother is going away for the holidays, so he wanted to have an early Christmas dinner.

He invited me and then asked if I would cook. Now, this may seem a lousy thing to do, but he knows how much I like to cook and he was willing to do all of the grocery shopping. AWESOME!!!

Did I mention that this dinner was for 12?

This week there was a big prime rib sale, so he got a certified angus roast (5 ribs).

To go with it, I made Cheddar Cheese Twice baked potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, a home made au jus, sautéed mushrooms, and roasted brussel sprouts. My SIL made a soup and steamed some green beans.

I had the meat in the fridge over night uncovered. This dried out the outside of the meat (perfect for developing that nice bark when cooked). I then put it in a 325 degree oven until temp is at 105. I then cranked up the heat to 425 and continued to cook for another 15 minutes. This makes the outside crispy. Then I let the roast rest for 45 minutes.

I was happy with my au jus. I started with the pan drippings with just a little bit of the fat, and sautéed diced onion, carrot, and celery. I let that simmer and reduce, then strained it. Man, did that taste good.

The planned time for dinner was 5pm. I had the whole meal come together precisely at 5pm. Then I was asked to hold dinner for 15 minutes (Grrrrrrr!). As a result the meat was a little more overdone than I would like and some of the sides were cold by the time we finally ate.PR6.jpg PR1.jpg PR2.jpg PR3.jpg PR4.jpg

FIve ribs (12 - 5 = 7). What did the other 7 people eat? :h

Your twice baked taters look quite yummy!

I know you're just yanking Mr. T's chain, but let me tell you what I used to do, and what I do now.

I am usually tasked with carving the rib roast my favorite S-I-L cooks for Christmas. I used to slice alongside each of the bones, on both sides of each bone. Thus, from a 5-rib roast, you would get 5 slices with a rib attached, plus 6 slices without a rib.

Later, I realized this was sub-optimal. Now, the first thing I do is cut the roast off the ribs, and then slice the now-bone-free roast into slices as desired. I then separate the ribs, put them on a platter, and let the most carnivorous ones go at it as they please!

Last edited:
I know your just yanking Mr. T's chain, but let me tell you what I used to do, and what I do now.
Yes, you are correct, a double pull on that "chain". What he has pictured is on nice hunk 'o meat, probably enough to feed more than 12, especially if it is a mixed crowd (some heavy eaters/some lighter eaters). There was a six boner one at the Giant, I think it was on sale for around $38, but it wasn't a prime cut, still looked pretty good to me! They also had some really nice lamb rib racks, those actually are more interesting to me than the beef ones, nothing like a good rack 'o lamb rubbed with some fresh rosemary and garlic, and then some more garlic (known in my family as a lamb boner, don't ask because I don't know which one of my brothers or sister started that one, I'm guessing my older brother).

Oh, and I almost forgot. Slowly accumulating ideas from my Son about what he wants for dinner while on leave over the holidays. It is expected that I will pick him up at BWI on Friday around 11 am. He has leave until New Years day, when my wife will drive him back to BWI to head back to Sheppard AFB. So far this is his short list, in no specific order: Chicken Parm, Smoked Salmon, Angus Eye Round roast done on the grill, pizza (the Friday he gets here), Ham (probably Christmas Day), fried fish and chicken fingers, turkey breast (have three in the freezer), smoked chicken on the weber bullet, and pulled pork (probably smoked the day before and finished in the crock pot). One meal will be at my older Brother's place because my Mom has evacuated to Sanibel Island in Florida for the Winter, I'm guessing that will be some form of chicken or burgers and dogs. Needless to say, I'll be busy cooking (and drinking).

Last edited:
Last night, we had some friends over for a nice rib roast (coincidentally), but I was too drunk to blog about it at the time! It was just a small, 2-rib roast. Not as impressive as John's. I cooked it sous vide with thyme and garlic powder for about 5 hours at 131F. In the meantime, I made roasted Brussels sprouts topped with asiago cheese, and roasted wedges of sweet potato. Near dinner time, I took the roast out of the hot water, dried it, slathered it with a paste of roasted garlic and fresh thyme and rosemary, and popped it into a 500 deg convection oven for ~15 minutes. To turn the decadence knob up to 11, I also made a Béarnaise sauce to slather on the meat. Our pre-prandial drink was a 2012 Stoney Lonesome Merlot from the Finger Lakes, and we washed down the meal a Louis Martini Cab. A little Racine Danish kringle for dessert!

The picture-taking was not a priority, so here are my meager efforts:
DSCN0813.jpg DSCN0814.jpg DSCN0815.jpg DSCN0817.jpg

I'm going to do my first 'larger' cut Sous Vide for Christmas this year - a whole tenderloin. Not too worried about it, aside from the fact that this is usually done by my Dad at my parents' house every year and he absolutely nails it on his grill, going low and slow with finishing sear. (They are closing on their new house Thursday - too much for them to try and host Christmas, but at least their gypsy days are about to come to an end).

Anyway, any tips for the tenderloin prep? I'll probably SV for about two hours at about 131-133 (long enough for us to have apps/cocktails and open presents). I have a 'sear burner' on the Weber gasser and will just crank that puppy up high and sear with the lid open on each side for a minute or so.

The big hit was the au jus. Too bad there is not way to take a picture of aroma and taste.

FIve ribs (12 - 5 = 7). What did the other 7 people eat? :h Your twice baked taters look quite yummy!

LOL. the taters are rather easy. What is great is that this can be prepped way ahead of time, and just popped into the oven once the meat comes out.

- bake potato large well shaped potatoes until skewer slides easily through. Allow them to cool. Cut each tater in half, scoop out center, saving the "scoopings" in a bowl.

- cut, peel, slice an equal number of potatoes (same number of potatoes that were baked) into a pot of water. Add 3 cloves of mashed garlic and a palm full of kosher salt. Boil until fork tender. Strain and allow to cool.

- Combine the scoopings and the boiled potatoes then mash. Add butter, heavy cream, milk, salt, pepper and a good amount of cheddar cheese (half of a packet of pre-shredded). Mash until very smooth.

- stuff each potato, then top with the remaining cheese. bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes (they are done when the cheese is bubbly.

Later, I realized this was sub-optimal. Now, the first thing I do is cut the roast off the ribs, and then slice the now-bone-free roast into slices as desired. I then separate the ribs, put them on a platter, and let the most carnivorous ones go at it as they please!

Exactly the same here. I used to slice a bone each! I then legalized that this was WAY too big and saw the better half of the roast being scraped off of plates and into the garbage.

So now I do exactly the same way. I carve off the bones, then make more sensible slices. This way, there are more slices than people so folks can have seconds.

The big hit was the au jus. Too bad there is not way to take a picture of aroma and taste.

LOL. the taters are rather easy. What is great is that this can be prepped way ahead of time, and just popped into the oven once the meat comes out.

- bake potato large well shaped potatoes until skewer slides easily through. Allow them to cool. Cut each tater in half, scoop out center, saving the "scoopings" in a bowl.

- cut, peel, slice an equal number of potatoes (same number of potatoes that were baked) into a pot of water. Add 3 cloves of mashed garlic and a palm full of kosher salt. Boil until fork tender. Strain and allow to cool.

- Combine the scoopings and the boiled potatoes then mash. Add butter, heavy cream, milk, salt, pepper and a good amount of cheddar cheese (half of a packet of pre-shredded). Mash until very smooth.

- stuff each potato, then top with the remaining cheese. bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes (they are done when the cheese is bubbly.
Wow, I usually don't do any extra taters as the scoopings plus the additives are usually enough to fill up all but one of the "skins". I like the added garlic, wish I could get the kids to allow me to add it. I usually stick to the cream (use half and half), butter, seasoning and cheese. Sometimes I top half of them with some good paprika to add some color. Kids seem to enjoy mozzarella more than sharp cheddar for some reason.

Folks,

I need suggestions. I bought a ham for Christmas eve dinner.

What side dishes would you prepare for a ham dinner (other than mashed taters)?

Folks,

Blanch some green beans. Then sautee in olive oil, salt and pepper. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and orange zest.

Folks,

My wife's side of the family always serves smashed sweet taters. My Mom was always a big cheesy scalloped potato maker. For a vege I always like asparagus if you can find any of good quality this time of the year, lightly steamed with a little tooth to the spears if possible.

I think we are leaning towards a ham for Christmas Day dinner, so thanks in advance for pulling a few ideas from the rest of the forum members. I think Jim's sauteed green beans would be a winner with my kids.

Yep, the jar was a little larger than the normal jar, but I went ahead and threw the whole thing in.

Ahh, I see. I thought that this was a piccata pizza from Mod. I thought it was an astonishing coincidence that you had made chicken piccata recently, AND had a piccata pizza. :slp

I love me some capers! I find I am more willing to use as many as I like if I buy them in big jars! Stupid human psychology. Last time I was at one of our local, small Italian grocers, I bought some big jars. Caper away!

Latest posts

Back