What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my Buck last Friday, and yesterday I started the butchering. With the Cabelas grinder, I had planned to grind most of it. I pan fried some last night, with only salt+pepper+Italian seasoning and had it with some Penne Pasta. Wow!!! The Venison was tender, lean and delicious.

Looks great, Mike. My BIL did our turkey on his Pit Boss yesterday. I've gotta say it was the best bird I've ever had.

Friday night, traditional pizza night. Tried to avoid it but the kids were expecting it. Used some premade Brooklyn bakery crusts and a frozen GF crust for them, made a ho-made crust for me. Wifey isn't around, so I could do my longtime favorite pizza, green pepper, onion and anchovy. Excellent pie, excellent crust. Did it in the oven at 500*F using the convection setting. Interior of the crust on the edges is like a soft pretzel, base crust is somewhat firm but not crispy. Yum!

Crust would have been better if I made it last night, but ran out of energy...

11-24-17_pizza.jpg

Choices...choices...and more choices. I love grocery shopping after a holiday. On black Friday everyone is in the department stores, I'm in the grocery store on the way home from work. After scoring some cheap turkey yesterday, went for the second round of turkey after dropping my daughter off at work at 6 am (hit the local Giant). Then headed to the Weis in East Berlin and was pleased to find many "fall of the back of the truck" bargains. The turkey breasts and Salmon were about $20 of the combined bill. The rest was around the same, for a grand total of $40.89. Now to figure out what to make tomorrow (tonight is a ragú using ground turkey for meatballs and hot Italian sausage on Penne pasta (youngest daughters request)). I think I'm leaning towards the London Broil with twiced baked taters and some fresh green beans. The bone in pork sirloin roast will be for Tuesday dinner (crockpot meal) for my wife's first meal at home for over a week, if it actually fits in the crockpot (I think it cost all of $3.54).

11-25-17_groceries.jpg

Last edited:
Choices...choices...and more choices. I love grocery shopping after a holiday. On black Friday everyone is in the department stores, I'm in the grocery store on the way home from work. After scoring some cheap turkey yesterday, went for the second round of turkey after dropping my daughter off at work at 6 am (hit the local Giant). Then headed to the Weis in East Berlin and was pleased to find many "fall of the back of the truck" bargains. The turkey breasts and Salmon were about $20 of the combined bill. The rest was around the same, for a grand total of $40.89. Now to figure out what to make tomorrow (tonight is a ragú using ground turkey for meatballs and hot Italian sausage on Penne pasta (youngest daughters request)). I think I'm leaning towards the London Broil with twiced baked taters and some fresh green beans. The bone in pork sirloin roast will be for Tuesday dinner (crockpot meal) for my wife's first meal at home for over a week, if it actually fits in the crockpot.

View attachment 44922

SCORE!! I love this time of year and usually fill the freezer with some bone-in turkey breasts (which are hard to find otherwise and stupid expensive). I will also get a rib roast or two and slice at least one into steaks - they are usually $4-6/lb during the holidays. Lobster tails usually get stupid-cheap too.

Tonight, wife wanted steak. Sadly, where I happened to be when I learned this was Whole Foods (geographic convenience). I cringed at first when she said she wanted filet. I didn't see any in the butcher case, so asked. The butcher said he was in the process of cutting up a tenderloin and would have one for me in a minute. I have to be honest - that little filet is amazing looking and I was kinda wishing I was getting one for myself. For me, I'll 'suffer' through another one of the Costco Prime NY Strips.

Both are in the Sous Vide for an hour or so. The filet certainly doesn't need it. But it is a rather 'tall' cut and would be tough to cook evenly on the grill and still get a decent sear on the outside. Not an issue w/ the Anova.

My brother picked up a NY Strip Roast for $6.99 late last week (I think). He said is was to die for. I think he was planning to get another and cut into steaks but they were all out of what he was looking for. He said the ones they had (were $7.99/lb, still a good price) didn't look good. Guess I don't get steak very often, but they looked yummy to me, just didn't have the cash to buy a $30 piece of cow.

Oh, and Costco prime strips are nothing to cough at, they're pretty darn good for the coin you put down for them, IMHO.

I did my Turkey Breast in the Smoker yesterday, about a 8 pounder. IMO a smoker is the best way to do a turkey. I do nothing but unwrap the turkey and put it in the smoker. Always comes out with tons of flavor and is very very moist.

In Las Cruces this weekend. We did a Costco run yesterday to El Paso and picked up some things as well as Whole Paycheck. Got home at 3:30. We did our first ever Spatchcock Turkey. Put in the oven at 4:00pm at 450F. Bird was done to perfection in 90 mins. If you have not tried this you need to do it!

spatchcock-final-in-pan.jpg

We tried our first Sous Vide Beef Friday night. 130 degrees, 90 minutes for 1-1/2lb steak that seared it on a cast iron griddle on the bbq at about 600 degrees. Came out exactly as advertised.View attachment 44939

Mike, that looks great. I agree with Jim, you nailed it!

Can I ask what the Greek-cross floor plan church (I think) in your photo is? I just wasted 30 minutes trying to identify it!

Mike, that looks great. I agree with Jim, you nailed it!

Can I ask what the Greek-cross floor plan church (I think) in your photo is? I just wasted 30 minutes trying to identify it!
Funny, you are looking at the floor plan, I'm looking for the invisible wine glass that the hand in the image is about to pick up. It is perfectly shaped to accept a wine glass.

Tonight's fare turned out rather well, considering we had no idea what we would be buying when we walked into the grocery store at 5 o'clock. Went for sockeye salmon, broccoli, white asparagus (a rarity), and decided to make seafood risotto to go with it.
The salmon was a recipe from Joël Robuchon, and it was surprisingly simple and unsurprisingly good. You broil both sides of the filet, then take it out and later bake it. Meanwhile, you make a decadent red-wine and shallot reduction sauce with a full stick of butter in it between 2 people. I finally nailed the garlic/olive oil/lemon recipe for roasted broccoli. I had been adding the lemon juice up front, but then you just wind up steaming the broccoli. Instead, roast the broccoli with plenty of garlic and olive oil, and only near the very end douse it with lemon juice! I made the risotto with carnaroli rice (even better than arborio) and ho-made lobster stock. Finally, my better half cooked the asparagus to perfection using a J. Kenji Lopez-Alt recipe, where you peel 'em, sear 'em, then braise 'em. Delish. All washed down with WE LE13 Oregon Pinot Noir.

DSCN0778.jpg

DSCN0779.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg
DSCN0783.jpg

Back