What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_6012.JPG IMG_6011.JPG IMG_6007.JPG IMG_6009.JPG IMG_6010.JPG IMG_6012.JPG IMG_6011.JPG IMG_6007.JPG IMG_6009.JPG IMG_6010.JPG One of our vendors took a few of us and a few of their staff to Cookology tonight for an Indian Chicken Curry challenge. Two of the guys that work for our vendor have been talking trash for many months about who's curry is better, so it was put up to a challenge. They each did their own curry and the rest of us pitched in to do a veg, indian rice and dessert. Amazing food, good drinks and a great time. I'm absolutely stuffed though.

Last edited:
One of our vendors took a few of us and a few of their staff to Cookology tonight for an Indian Chicken Curry challenge. Two of the guys that work for our vendor have been talking trash for many months about who's curry is better, so it was put up to a challenge. They each did their own curry and the rest of us pitched in to do a veg, indian rice and dessert. Amazing food, good drinks and a great time. I'm absolutely stuffed though.
One of hubbies favorites!

I have some catching up to do! This was from earlier this week. I admit to being fuzzy on the details. Grouper, dusted in flour and spices, pan fried in lots of butter. Served with white rice and baby bok choy and garlic (charred, then braised in ho-made chicken stock and lemon juice).
DSCN0743.jpg DSCN0745.jpg

This butternut squash lentil loaf was pretty successful.

Sorry. It seems I can no longer upload photos from my iPhone.

11-11-17_pork-roast.JPG

After getting back from a visit to @jgmann67 (yes, I could drive and still function, we tipped the carboy, but left some in), got to work on a pork roast that I found behind a truck in DIllsburg (behind the Giant). It was kryovac sealed, so no added dirt. Coated in kosher salt, pepper and rosemary. Browned it on the Weber grill, then perched it on a carrot throne. A cup of chicken stock, a lid, into a 250*F oven until it reached about 145*F, then rested (ended up around 155*F). Was extremely moist and tender. The carrots were not necessarily "dry roasted", but were good all the same. Served with sauerkraut, corn (for the ones who don't like the carrots), smashed taters, brown gravy and some beer and wine (for the adults, not the kids). Our neighbor Giana, friend of my youngest daughter, came over for a sleep over and church tomorrow, so we fed her too.

Last edited:
Saturday night, Pizza night! Ho-Made pizza. Thin crust, Mrs IB requested some of the new sausage be fried up and added as well as a topping along with pepperoni, mozzarella, chèvre, kalamata olives, green chile. Turned out fantastic! Almost embarrassed at the wine that was paired with it. LOL

IMG_2712.jpg

Saturday night, Pizza night! Ho-Made pizza. Thin crust, Mrs IB requested some of the new sausage be fried up and added as well as a topping along with pepperoni, mozzarella, chèvre, kalamata olives, green chile. Turned out fantastic! Almost embarrassed at the wine that was paired with it. LOL

View attachment 44600
Well, fess up, what was the almost embarrassing wine?

This was a pork shoulder steak, but I cooked it sous vide for 2 days at 159F. It was falling apart, so I made up a mushroom/garlic/shallot/thyme/sherry sauce, and mixed it all in. Served with some roasted Delicata squash, and lacinato kale with onions and ho-made chicken stock.

DSCN0753.jpg

Another chilly day here in the DC 'burbs. I just took a ~3lb prime chuck roast out of the freezer. This afternoon, I'll throw it on the charcoal grill nice and low for an hour or so with some cherry and pecan. Then I'm going to cube it up and make chili. :HB

Nice! Coincidentally, I put a nice ~3 lb prime chuck roast into the sous vide cooker ~35 hours ago. We are making dinner tonight at a friend's house who is laid up after surgery.

Nice! Coincidentally, I put a nice ~3 lb prime chuck roast into the sous vide cooker ~35 hours ago. We are making dinner tonight at a friend's house who is laid up after surgery.

Aaaaannnd, what do you do with the SV chuck roast?

Aaaaannnd, what do you do with the SV chuck roast?

I am basically intending to serve it as "roast beef." I only cooked it at 131, so it should be medium rare, and not falling apart (although I expect it will be a bit "mushy"). Also, after some debate with myself, I did not pre-sear it. So, my plan is to dry it off, perhaps add an herb crust (depending on how my pre-SV seasonings turned out), then sear and/or broil it to try to develop a mild bark.

Ideally, I would take the juices from the SV bag and make a mushroom/red wine reduction sauce. I may indeed do that, but the patient is not a fan of mushrooms. She claims to like (or at least tolerate) mushrooms "the way Paul cooks them," but I think she is just putting on a brave face. Therefore, I think I will make a gravy instead, even though it is not the best choice IMHO for the rest of the meal. Maybe I will ask her which she prefers, secretly hoping she opts for the 'shrooms.

Back