What to sell a 6 gallon carboy for?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Here is the deal,
I currently have two 5 gallon carboys and three six gallons.
I just need three of them, especially when they are more like a 6.5. When I make kit wine I have to top up with atleast 3 or 4 bottles. I find racking down to a 5 and some bottles easier.

So I can across a guy locally in Craig list looking to buy 1 or 2.
I figure I would sell them and buy another 5 gal or maybe a 3 gal.

But what is a decent asking price for a used 6 gallon carboy?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I sell them new for around $33.

When I personally buy ones I pay between $5 and $10 each. I then turn around and sell them for 3/$50 which I feel is a good deal. I see used ones going for 20-30 dollars each. I guess it also depends on your area.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $20 each. But it's true they don't wear out. But it's like anything else once it comes off the lot it should depreciate in my frugal opinion.

We recently bought another 6 gal carboy,new, for $35.00. And the new ones have thinner glass, too. If I found a 6 gal for $30 or less, I would feel it's a good deal.

I would say in the $20 ball park. But unlike everyone else I get new Italian 6 gal carboys for $28 :)

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making
Looking to do a stags leap merlot or barossa valley Shiraz . Any input on these kits?

I responded and told him $30,
after a few emails I indicated I was not willing to go lower than $20 and he wanted them for $15 a piece.

In email exchange he indicate a local grocery store sells 6 gallon carboys for $32.

I called the grocery store and they confirmed, 6 gallon , glass carboy, Italian made for $32.

I am baffled as the other 3 LHBS in my area sell 6 gallon carboys no lower than $42 up to $51.

how can this one guy who runs a deli/grocery/grape juice store under sell everyone?

On a side note; I've been buying quite a few of the no longer made smooth sided Mexican carboys. Is there any more or less value in these now that they have limited availability?

I usually pay 5.00-10.00 for carboys off of Kijiji, yard sales, etc., and I'm already up to 14.

Elmer, you may not get the price you wanted, but you know where to buy carboys cheaper now. I try to support the local shop, but sometimes when it's 15 bucks per item it's hard to do so.

I like my 6.5s as when I'm ready to do my final additions for taste I like having lots of room. I've learned to start out my wines a bit higher in ABV to compensate. I like big wines. BTW the 6.5 I've got I actually measured at 7 gal 3 cups. Seems most of my carboys hold 3 cups more than stated, but this is lots more. I've needed that room a couple times when I went overboard during the making of.

Pam in cinti

Elmer, you may not get the price you wanted, but you know where to buy carboys cheaper now. I try to support the local shop, but sometimes when it's 15 bucks per item it's hard to do so.

I like my 6.5s as when I'm ready to do my final additions for taste I like having lots of room. I've learned to start out my wines a bit higher in ABV to compensate. I like big wines. BTW the 6.5 I've got I actually measured at 7 gal 3 cups. Seems most of my carboys hold 3 cups more than stated, but this is lots more. I've needed that room a couple times when I went overboard during the making of.

Pam in cinti

I only make 2 kinds of wine:
Kit
dragon blood

When I make a kit wine, the 6 gallons goes from bucket to carboy for secondary. from there it goes from carboy to carboy for clarifying. that initial 1st racking or 2, I lose some volume since the sediment is discarded.

Like I said, in the past I have had to top up with as many as 4 bottles of wine to fill the 6.5

I am going to do my best to use what I have, because buying anymore is out of the question in the immediate future, unless I could sell off 2 -6's or trade.
But no LHBS will let you trade carboys for smaller carboys (how great would that be if they let you trade and down size carboys).

but then again going into the next year, I think my wine making is going to be slowing down while I handle what I have.
I will probably have to limit myself to 1 kit a year, 2 if I am lucky!

Thanks for advice!

I can buy new 6 gallon Italian carboys here in Alberta for $25. They seem to go for 15-20 used but can be had for 10. Pricing seems to vary a lot with these things!

Latest posts

Back