What the hell is this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was spraying seven on this afternoon on those vines and found two more of those growths. Have never seen that before on any of my vines, but there has to be someone that knows what they are! They are hard and woody, but I haven't opened one up yet!

Not arguing, but I was under the impression crown gall delt with the trunks on vines. Are you saying this is a manfistation of CG up in the foliage of the plant?

Thank you, Rice Guy. I believe you nailed it. Did some homework on it and they always show pics of trunks, but they mentioned it can be arial. None of my trunks show any sign of it. That is disturbing! The vines are mostly right at twelve years old.

crown gall? You certian.?I have seen this a few times on leaves over the past 20 years, but randomly and close to the woods usually. I assumed it was insect based, not bacteria based, based on my observations. I do know one thing, it is nothing that I worry about.

Thank you for the reply, cluster buster. I have came to the same conclusion. All three I found had a grub inside the growth, so I breath a sigh of relief.

That is a gall formed by an insect: cecidomyiid fly. Grape Tumid Galls I think is the name. I tend to get 1 or 2 a year. They're harmless, and I just ignore them.

Yes, I found a total of four on my frontenacs, and none on my other varietys. I opened one up, early on, and found a small white maggot in it, about the same time someone else posted on another thread about the same thing. Glad it wasn't something serious, but in about 16 years of growing grapes, I'd never seen it before. Thanks all for your replys!

Back