Offered a job as a winemaker, but at a price...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went through the whole thread closely after making the post, and the decision was already made. I wish him luck.

I voluntarily traded money for a perception of greater happiness twice in my career, and was forced to take less once by the economy, and it didn't work out for me. Each time, I wound up resenting that I was working just as hard – usually harder – for a lot less. Then I ended up having to climb back up to where I was in salary before the move, because once you take less, employers see it on a resume or during the background search, so with a clean-sheet interview process where you don't have an inside edge, you only rarely will start off again making what you were making before.

So in effect my three adventures wound up capping my overall career salary peak below what it might otherwise have been. Today more than ever, salary history is an open book and hard to keep private from employers. There's a lot more to consider in making these choices than readily meets the eye, is what I learned. I don't regret the lessons learned, but as a retiree looking back over the arc of a career in hindsight, well... And those three strikes definitely color my opinions on this.

Yet I realize that Ty520's forthcoming experience may vary from what mine was. I just advised that he think really hard before making the choice. Wishing him all the best in his new job.
I actually didn't see the post. I was just being a smart ass. I assumed, based on your previous comment, that you shared your experience and realized good luck was likely the more encouraging thought to share.

It is very interesting to hear your experience. I left school for the trades and every job taught me a new skill set. Every skill increased my value and I could easily say no, I am worth x amount an hour. They will pay it over there. It was always something I could fall back on and step right back into where I was. There was little risk to take a chance on something else.

For me this was a what do you have to lose situation. You hate your job, that affects your life, go for it. You can always go back to where you are now. I never even considered there would be so much effort to build your position within your career and hold that level instead of just falling back to where you were.

It doesn't look like you are suffering now though, the semi retirement gig sounds pretty comfy. 😄

I actually didn't see the post. I was just being a smart ass. I assumed, based on your previous comment, that you shared your experience and realized good luck was likely the more encouraging thought to share.

It is very interesting to hear your experience. I left school for the trades and every job taught me a new skill set. Every skill increased my value and I could easily say no, I am worth x amount an hour. They will pay it over there. It was always something I could fall back on and step right back into where I was. There was little risk to take a chance on something else.

For me this was a what do you have to lose situation. You hate your job, that affects your life, go for it. You can always go back to where you are now. I never even considered there would be so much effort to build your position within your career and hold that level instead of just falling back to where you were.

It doesn't look like you are suffering now though, the semi retirement gig sounds pretty comfy. 😄
I agree

It begins...

Haven't been on my feet so long in a long, long time. Exhausting, but in a satisfying way.

Bottled, labeled and boxed up 100 gallons.

Passivated 2 new fermentation tanks.

Tomorrow, filtering a batch, starting a new batch... And possibly more bottling.

One question not yet asked -- you love winemaking as a hobby. Will you still love it when it's a job, not recreation?
My brother and his wife used to go on holiday, to Benidorm in Spain, year after year. I said to him, "Jack why don't you buy an apartment there, you can afford it?".
"Dennis," he replied. "Living there just wouldn't be the same as going on holiday!"

I had the same problem when I was 49. I took a pay cut but ended up working with the same firm until I retired. Not only that, but I never regretted it!

It begins...

Haven't been on my feet so long in a long, long time. Exhausting, but in a satisfying way.

Bottled, labeled and boxed up 100 gallons.

Passivated 2 new fermentation tanks.

Tomorrow, filtering a batch, starting a new batch... And possibly more bottling.
any chance you can post some pics of your vino operations?

Cheers!

any chance you can post some pics of your vino operations?

Cheers!
Sure thing

A couple of our new 100 gallon fermentation tanks I just passivated, and started a batch of raspberry session mead in ( 2 more in another room that have yet to be passivated) next to our 300 gallon conical.
PXL_20230918_172628672.jpg

And two 40 gallon, and a 60 gallon tank currently with meadowfoam mead
PXL_20230918_172641098.jpg

Last edited:
Sure thing

A couple of our new 100 gallon fermentation tanks I just passivated, and started a batch of raspberry session mead in ( 2 more in another room that have yet to be passivated) next to our 300 gallon conical.
View attachment 105757

And two 40 gallon, and a 60 gallon tank currently with meadowfoam mead
View attachment 105758
How do you like the conicals?? ...and what do you mean by "passivating"?

Looks like an interesting setup!

Cheers!

The conical is great. We can carbonate in it as well

Passivating is a process to clean new stainless steel tanks because they have oils and other chemicals on them from the fabrication process that needs to be removed.

Last edited:
The conical is great. We can carbonate in it as well

Passivating is a process to clean new stainless steel tanks because they have oils and other chemicals on them from the fabrication process that needs to be removed.
What's your protocol(s) for cleaning and sanitizing the ss conicals?

What's your protocol(s) for cleaning and sanitizing the ss conicals?
First we remove all the hardware and soak and clean with first PBW and then sanitizer, scrubbing all the ports, threads and openings of the tanks and hardware with brushes.

Then rinse out the system and re assemble

Then

1. Run PBW cleaner through system via spray ball for 20 minutes
2. run acid wash 20 minutes
3. H20 rinse
4. run saniclean sanitizer 10 minutes

First we remove all the hardware and soak and clean with first PBW and then sanitizer, scrubbing all the ports, threads and openings of the tanks and hardware with brushes.

Then

3. H20 rinse
Is this just for new equipment or do you go to this length between batches?

Between batches as well. I've heard some people only do PBW, but we're pretty strict about sanitation.

Last edited:

Then

3. H20 rinse
What kind of vessel(s) are you using for bulk aging vinos? (FlexTanks, oak barrels, stainless etc)

What kind of vessel(s) are you using for bulk aging vinos? (FlexTanks, oak barrels, stainless etc)
We used to use totes, but are moving to stainless. We still use totes to move between tanks. We also barrel age some of them

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back