Offered a job as a winemaker, but at a price...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also glad that the devil's advocate stuff didn't scare you off.
Don't think of it as "devil's advocate" -- it's risk management.

Identify risks, rank the risks by likelihood of occurrence and severity, determine how risks can be addressed, and use that information to decide if you should proceed.

I know an unfortunate number of people who went into ventures (of various types) without thinking things through first, for them things ended badly, including a few bankruptcies. The ones that planned things out generally had good outcomes.

My expectation is that @Ty520 has a great opportunity here.

So I was just offered an opportunity to go pro, and be a head winemaker (in training for a probationary period) for a local winery. But I would incur a 15% pay cut.

a lot of people, myself included, would probably initially say, "hell ya!" if it were a hypothetical, but now that it is real, working it into a budget is scary, especially with inflation and the unsteady state of the economy.

I feel like i would feel guilty for taking a dream job if it meant possibly making it hard(er) financially for my family, with a mortgage, 2 kids in daycare...

My current career is relatively easy going, and pays well with regular and predictable pay increases, but i just don't care about the work any more.

thoughts?

15% pay cut and on probation? As someone who has taken pay cuts to move jobs more than once before, one thing I urge you to consider is that the pay cut is not near as dear when you are just thinking about it as it will be when it hits. Trust me.

Also, your passion will become your job. And that often kills the passion. That is, if you survive probation.

Think a lot and if you do it, do it with your eyes wide open to all the potential downsides.

15% pay cut and on probation? As someone who has taken pay cuts to move jobs more than once before, one thing I urge you to consider is that the pay cut is not near as dear when you are just thinking about it as it will be when it hits. Trust me.

Also, your passion will become your job. And that often kills the passion. That is, if you survive probation.

Think a lot and if you do it, do it with your eyes wide open to all the potential downsides.

It's a paid probationary period. It just grants either of us the right to walk away in case either of us decide it isn't working out without issue

Last edited:
Humm exercise is an interesting concern.

I have always thought it was more productive to move 100 pounds of rice or a stainless tank or a pallet at the dock, or to climb up a ladder to the top of a tank in the pilot plant and get paid for it ,,, than to ride on an exercise bike or run on a tread mill and have to pay someone for the fun of doing exercise.

Good luck!

About 12 years ago I went to work for myself. An opportunity just dropped in front of me and I knew I would always regret it if I didn't take it. For me worst case was a 30% pay cut, best case was over time I might be 10% ahead. After 10 years I closed down but am glad I took the opportunity.

Plus, earlier in my career I took a job with a 15% pay cut when I had young kids and a mortgage. It worked out even though money was tight. The job didn't blossom as I hoped and after 4 years I went back to the same job I left, but that 4 yesrs was why the opportunity to work for myself dropped in front of me.

So ... Things may not work out as planned, but with effort they work out.

Only about 60% of US workers are satisfied with their jobs so if you have the opportunity to be in that 60% I say go for it. Take your education and common sense with you .... things will be fine. Congrats. Keep us posted on how your first official day on the new job goes!

Also, as part of your support team (me), feel free to send me multiple samples of wine for tasting. It appears I'm the first to ask this so put me at the top of the list you will acquire. 😁

FWIW, I've always gone by the saying ... "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life". Sounds like you're pursuing something you love doing. If you can make a living out of it, you can't ask for much more. I hope it turns out better than you imagined. (And you can put me second on the list for tasting 😃)

It's a paid probationary period. It just grants either of us the right to walk away in case either of us decide it isn't working out without issue
Do you have family members to consider if not make the move , if so think about very hard

Best of Luck to ya on this new grand adventure!

Keep us posted!

Cheers!

About 11 years ago I quit my day job and went back and took care of the farm that I grew up on. I worked until dark most days getting it back in shape and would do it again in a heartbeat. One of the most satisfying experiences of my life. I feel better and am in better shape that I have been in in 20 years.

Follow your dreams, I'm happy that I did.
Bob

Well at least you reconsidered it. :p
Went through the whole thread closely after making the post, and the decision was already made. I wish him luck.

I voluntarily traded money for a perception of greater happiness twice in my career, and was forced to take less once by the economy, and it didn't work out for me. Each time, I wound up resenting that I was working just as hard – usually harder – for a lot less. Then I ended up having to climb back up to where I was in salary before the move, because once you take less, employers see it on a resume or during the background search, so with a clean-sheet interview process where you don't have an inside edge, you only rarely will start off again making what you were making before.

So in effect my three adventures wound up capping my overall career salary peak below what it might otherwise have been. Today more than ever, salary history is an open book and hard to keep private from employers. There's a lot more to consider in making these choices than readily meets the eye, is what I learned. I don't regret the lessons learned, but as a retiree looking back over the arc of a career in hindsight, well... And those three strikes definitely color my opinions on this.

Yet I realize that Ty520's forthcoming experience may vary from what mine was. I just advised that he think really hard before making the choice. Wishing him all the best in his new job.

Latest posts

Back