What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting side note from my round the other day. As a single golfer at a very busy muni course in LA you will always be paired with 3 strangers. Usually I get paired up with (3) 80 YO Taiwanese gentleman who are always very polite and often good friends cracking jokes at each others expense. The other day was slightly different. A mixed threesome so to speak. One Taiwanese lady, one anglo and one elderly Panamanian gentleman who was about 4ft tall. I found out on the 2nd hole that I was playing with a not only a local celebrity but in all reality, the Michael Jordan of the horse racing field. The 4ft tall Panimanian ended up being none other than Lafit Pincay who has won over 9000 horse races in his extended career including the Kentucky Derby, the Belmont Stakes (3 times) and the Breeders Cup (multiple times). He was very personable and was close friends with the other gentleman we were playing with. They were playing each other for $5 a hole so it was fun to watch them go at each other in a friendly match. Did a little googling and found he even made a little appearance on a Jimmy Kimmel commercial a while back. It was a fun round!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffit_Pincay_Jr.

Last edited:
We took down Christmas decorations. That normally happens New Year's weekend, but we were traveling. Mrs. WM81 loves her holiday decorations so she got to enjoy then a week longer.

I love avoiding work, so I got a week's reprieve. 🤣

Last edited:
Thankful that my Son got home safely to Alaska yesterday/today, especially since he was flying Alaskan Airlines in a Boeing 737 Max 9. He got held up in Seattle for a couple of hours, assuming it was for a plane inspection before it was allowed to fly into Fairbanks.

Looks like they all got grounded today, another blessing that he left yesterday and not today.

It's -2ºF here today. Pro-tip: If you have a non-frost-free freezer in the basement or somewhere like that, today is a great day to defrost it. I just loaded all my frozen food up into cardboard boxes and coolers, and stuck them in the backyard. Meanwhile, I have a fan blowing on the frosty innards of my freezer. 🧊❄️ --> 💧

Another "pro-tip". Don't try and burn-off a new electric vertical smoker when it's 20*F outside and windy. I think I was fortunate to get it up to 255*F when set at 350*F.

Looks like Thursday gets up to 34*F, I'll take another stab at it then. I did smell some VOC like compounds at 255*, so maybe it got "burnt-off" well enough. Was hoping to cool smoke and finish off some summer sausage this weekend since I don't have to be tied to the TV/Radio watching the pathetic Philly Eagles lose again...

Another "pro-tip". Don't try and burn-off a new electric vertical smoker when it's 20*F outside and windy. I think I was fortunate to get it up to 255*F when set at 350*F.

Looks like Thursday gets up to 34*F, I'll take another stab at it then. I did smell some VOC like compounds at 255*, so maybe it got "burnt-off" well enough. Was hoping to cool smoke and finish off some summer sausage this weekend since I don't have to be tied to the TV/Radio watching the pathetic Philly Eagles lose again...

We can both relax, have fun and drink beer as neither of us has a dog in this fight any longer....... :pee :ts

We can both relax, have fun and drink beer as neither of us has a dog in this fight any longer....... :pee :ts
But your dog looked better than my dog, I could only watch the 1st quarter, then decided sleep was the better option...

FYI, found a new smoking meats forum, it's loaded with cool stuff like smokers, cheese making, pizza making, drinking etc. I think it will be much more enjoyable looking around there and being here than watching a stinkin' foseball game.

Who invented that stupid game anyway?

But will that be as much fun as watching the Zebras look the other way on all those holding and interference calls that they get paid to no-call each week by the Vegas odds makers? LOL

But your dog looked better than my dog, I could only watch the 1st quarter, then decided sleep was the better option...

FYI, found a new smoking meats forum, it's loaded with cool stuff like smokers, cheese making, pizza making, drinking etc. I think it will be much more enjoyable looking around there and being here than watching a stinkin' foseball game.

Who invented that stupid game anyway?

But will that be as much fun as watching the Zebras look the other way on all those holding and interference calls that they get paid to no-call each week by the Vegas odds makers? LOL
I did think that the ref must have been holding the Dallas defender himself for the Packer TE to catch the ball with no one around for 21+yards and scored a TD. The ball thrown by Jordan Love was so high, it looked like a "hail mary" pass which gave another defender time to tackle him as he crossed the goal line.

Not sure if there is just more replay camera's these days or what. Just seems like more blown/missed penalties than ever before. I feel for the refs as there is only 7 sets of eyes on the players and probably 3-4X that in HD cameras all over the field

Not sure if there is just more replay camera's these days or what. Just seems like more blown/missed penalties than ever before. I feel for the refs as there is only 7 sets of eyes on the players and probably 3-4X that in HD cameras all over the field
I think very soon instant replays will govern.
The game just moves to fast for the human eye 👀👀😎😎😎😎

Thanks, guys, I've been working full time since I was 14, starting in a slaughterhouse on Front and Washinton Ave in South Philly.
Married at 14, 1 kid, and no education to speak of, I made it through it all, working my way up through the men's and women's clothing industry.
moved up as a store manager, district manager, and regional manager. (clothing).

started with RCA and finished with L3 Communications as a QC tech. started an HVAC business in 1983. held 2 jobs for 35 years. here I am at the end.
my winemaking has held me together, and the experiences I've had throughout this country and state were outstanding.

Win, lose or draw I've learned something at every turn, people, like Tom, Grape man, IBGLOWIN., sour grape, who remembers George for the fine vine wine toy store, the people in the beginning who fought for me when others didn't believe in my winemaking skills, and wanted me off. Wade, running wolf, Tom,, and others who are no longer on this form.
thanks to all, I have a few more contests left in me so let's see what this year brings.
This form has been a wonderful experience for me thank you all. 🍇 🍇
just my BABBLE

Last edited by a moderator:
Flew out a couple of days ago to SoCal to be here for our grandson's 3rd birthday. I stashed a set of clubs out here this past year. Managed to squeeze in yesterday as a single. Weather here DNS!

View attachment 109007

Back home our golf course currently looks like this.......

View attachment 109008
That's what red balls are for!!!! And use the ones with a transmitter in them!! Easier to find!!

Nothing , absolutely nothing and enjoying the beginning of my retirement.🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

HAPPY RETIREMENT, JOE! You will ❤️ it. I highly recommend it. I thought my days of youthful folly ended when I became an adult. But little did I know there is this thing called retirement! It has been a year for me now, and I wish I had done it 5 years ago! What a beautiful gift. I hope you enjoy it for years and years to come.

Thanks, guys, I've been working full time since I was 14, starting in a slaughterhouse on Front and Washinton Ave in South Philly.
Married at 14, 1 kid, and no education to speak of, I made it through it all, working my way up through the men's and women's clothing industry.
moved up as a store manager, district manager, and regional manager. (clothing).

started with RCA and finished with L3 Communications as a QC tech. started an HVAC business in 1983. held 2 jobs for 35 years. here I am at the end.
my winemaking has held me together, and the experiences I've had throughout this country and state were outstanding.

Win, lose or draw I've learned something at every turn, people, like Tom, Grape man, IBEGLOWIN., sour grape, who remembers George for the fine vine wine toy store, the people in the beginning who fought for me when others didn't believe in my winemaking skills, and wanted me off. Wade, running wolf, Tom,, and others who are no longer on this form.
thanks to all, I have a few more contests left in me so let's see what this year brings.
This form has been a wonderful experience for me thank you all. 🍇 🍇
just my BABBLE
Small world. Which clothing company? My father's brother worked for years at Barry manufacturing as a manager at one of the plants (St Louis area I believe). I worked for L3 for a year in 2029-10 here in San Antonio as a system analyst.

Latest posts

Back