What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Sloss Furnace for a fall festival with my wife and 3 kids. Met up with an old friend and then walked through the old furnace taking pictures. This place is the spooky, if you ever get a chance to watch "The Ghost Adventures" on The Travel Channel, they have an episode they filmed at Sloss. They also have a haunted house there every year that plays on the history of the place.

Managed to pick up 2 more carboys last night from my cousin. I got a 5 gallon and a 6 gallon. She has one more but it still had wine in it so I can't have that one until its empty. Need to give them a good soaking and sanitze them.

Racking wine most of the day. Last night I made an F-pack with a gallon of apple juice and added it this morning to my Jalapeno wine. I will be bottling this hopefully on Friday.

IMG_20101027_093241.jpg

I had to put on the clown costume for a parade this morning...I never from one time to the next if it still fits!!! ;)

IMG00132-20101028-0632.jpg

well went and got another carboy this morning pretty good deal $20 for a new 5 gallon one least it was good to me

Went on a road trip with a buddy to check out wineries in Ashtabula Ohio. Wow I did not realize there were so many in one area. They have like 16 of them in a small area. Some were extremely large and fancy with dining and others small and quaint. Another was an old Firehouse with a patio looking out over Lake Erie. The coolest looking was an old country church converted into a winery. It was closed when we were there but you could tell it was designed and landscaped to hold large wedding receptions and other parties. The amazing thing I noticed no matter if I am in Ohio, PA or NY all of the people are extremely friendly in any winery I've gone to. Too bad some other restaurants and businesses couldn't take lessons from us Wineo's.

Soaking one of my new/used carboys now so that I can rack my Muscadine off the heavy lees after I'm done working. Looks like fermentation is just about done. Need to clean labels off bottles soaking in the stationary tub this evening.

I'm making applesauce and contemplating tomatoes, peppers, apples, and chokecherry juice in different combinations and concoctions.

Racked Concord/Blackberry/Elderberry --> secondary

Added the final stuff to WE IM BB/Cab

Here I sit THINKING

Random thoughts while sipping my 2nd bottle of wine:

1) Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

2) I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

3) There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

4) How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

5) I would rather try to carry 10 plastic grocery bags in each hand than take 2 trips to bring my groceries in.

6) MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. Pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

7) Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.

8) I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.

9) Bad decisions make good stories.

10) You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you've made up your mind that you just aren't doing anything productive for the rest of the day.

11) I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten page paper that I swear I did not make any changes to.

12) I hate when I just miss a call by the last ring (Hello? Hello? Damnit!), but when I immediately call back, it rings nine times and goes to voicemail. What'd you do after I didn't answer? Drop the phone and run away?

13) I hate leaving my house confident and looking good and then not seeing anyone of importance the entire day. What a waste.

14) As a driver I hate pedestrians, and as a pedestrian I hate drivers, but no matter what the mode of transportation, I always hate cyclists.

15) I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.

16) I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lites than Kay.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've been busy today here's what I've done:

1-I racked & sweetened my hard ice tea, used 4 cans of lemonade, I'll see once it's clear but I don't think I used enough tea...might go from 80 to 100 tea bags next time....
2-racked my Blueberry Pee in a carboy for secondary...FINALY!
3-started a Vinter's reserve Suavigon Blanc
4-Picked up my dog at the groomer
5-bought pumkins with my daughter
6-carved pumkins with my kids
7-racked and sweetened my blueberry wine
8-racked my Orange wine off the 3'' of lees, I didn,t have any more orange wine to top up so I used 1 1/2 bottle of Pinot Griggio, should be good!
9-racked and sweetened my everything wine, I use a can of strawberry-Kiwi that I had left in the freezer to stay in the spirit of things (everything that's left in the freezer ;) )
10-.........Waiting for friends who are coming over to sample some of my wines :)

Have a happy Halloween tomorrow!!
:hh

I racked and stabilized my last 4 small batches of Aldi's plum, red raspberry, concord grape and red raspberry, & storebought juice wine. (Don't tell John, it's a step or 2 lower than Welches) :D

Wine racked and stabilized  P 10 30 10 015.jpg

Cleaned the house with my wife (pretty much a whole day project) Racked and bottled my 3 gallon batch of Elderberry (Damn it's good). Been playing with my mity vac since it's finally holding a vaccuum. Great little invention. Realized my sewers are running slow so went to busy beaver to get sewer stuff in hopes of not having to rent a snake on Monday. That's never a fun job. Getting ready to give my daughter a bath then having the rest of the bottle of elfderberry that didn't quite fill full (gotta love the partial bottles):dg:b:dg:b:dg:b

Back