What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5/8" T&G cedar. Framed with spruce. Bottom 2 feet is insulated and lined with stainless. Heated with a propane burner if I want a hot smoke, or a tube or tray pellet set up for cold smoking.

This may be the day where I eek out one area of the basement as a long term wine storage area. It's either that or bottle a beer batch, which I hate doing about as much as cleaning. Eventually I will get some storage racks. But for now there are cases of filled bottles on their sides in every dark corner I could find.

Did a quick count and have just over 200 bottles stored in the basement with the potential of 260 more by next Spring (in carboys aging).

I know I'll enjoy it when it is done, so maybe the motivation of a nice big glass of homemade wine or beer this afternoon will get me going!

Unless I borrow a canoe I won't be working in the yard today for sure.

Edit: Must like bottling better than cleaning. Finished bottling 56 bottles of Raspberry Wheat.

After bottling the Wheat beer, uncorked 26 bottles of Viognier and put in a glass carboy and is now under 25 in/HG of vacuum pressure. Will re bottle tomorrow. So had no choice but to rearrange and throw a bunch of S out in the basement. Most of the bottled wine is in one area now.

To most won't look much different, but I filled my garage with stuff that came from outside the boundaries of the first picture. Now the fire is stoked, time to order a dumpster.

10-3-15_basement1.jpg

10-3-15_basement2.jpg

Celebrating the fact that I have no punchdowns, tests, racking or prep work to do.

Pressed initial batch of Muscadine/Scuppernog tonight...

19 gallons of Noble, 17 gallons of Rwd and 17 gallons of Carlos.... good night in my opinion...

Lots of free run with that muscadine too. Nice color, aroma and fermented dry.

Pocked up our banner today. Looks nice. I hope to get to use it this weekend.....

Going for dinner at my Mom's place. Flank steak, twiced baked potatoes, vege and I'm sure a little wine. Taking a Viogner, Peach, Cranberry Chianti and Pinot Grigio. She usually favors a Kendall Jackson Chardonnay, so curious to see if she has a nice red hanging around. Hoping I can lure my 16 yr old permit holder of a Son to be my designated driver. Wife might offer him more than I can (we no longer own a car we can all fit into, so we take two).

Next year I should have a few reds (Merot Bordeaux blend, Sangiovese, Dornfelder, Forza (maybe), Diablo Rojo) to enjoy with beef.

Early next week she and my step-father leave for a west coast trip to visit his daughter/son in law (San Diego), son/daughter in law (near Oakland) and celebrate his 75th birthday.

Edit: didn't realize my Mom enjoyed a Pinot Grigio. She really enjoyed a few glasses of mine, will give her a few bottles at Christmas time since the Chardonnay won't be ready yet.

Last edited:
Ah the world of a Telecom Engineer!
My day started at 7:30 a.m., had a scheduled software upgrade for 5:30 p.m.
I should say it was an easy software upgrade :ft
Oh would you look at the time? huh? 10:10 and still here for that "easy" upgrade :(

Steve

I'm glad they have a dedicated group here to worry about all the electronics. Used to do upgrades in the evening and backups early in the morning. Had to work around the work load since we are 24/7.

Hmmm, at 10:10 last night I was taste testing my Bordeaux blend from the spring and my Sangiovese kit that is aging on some oak. Looked at the Forza but it's way to early to sample that one. Oh, I did have to shut down my PC before I went to bed...:h

I'm glad they have a dedicated group here to worry about all the electronics. Used to do upgrades in the evening and backups early in the morning. Had to work around the work load since we are 24/7.

Hmmm, at 10:10 last night I was taste testing my Bordeaux blend from the spring and my Sangiovese kit that is aging on some oak. Looked at the Forza but it's way to early to sample that one. Oh, I did have to shut down my PC before I went to bed...:h

Great kick a guy when he's down! Lol. By the time I got home way too tired to even want to relax with a glass of anything. Had to be back in office at 7:00.

Steve

I know you know I was just joshing you. Now that I've turned 53 I find myself more times than not falling asleep in my comfy chair while viewing my carboy farm and dreaming of the next batch. I think I was out for about an hour last night before I woke up, turned off the PC and went to bed.

What? @ceeaton has Pizza Friday. Paul has 800lb of Mag in 200 gallons of water Friday. So what? :)

Pizza Friday reserved for kids only this week. Better half and I get to go sample wine and horse ovaries and some local artists work to raise money for our local library expansion. So I'll be drinkin' my dinner (her turn to drive).

Latest posts

Back