What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re-taste tested my gluten free beer from the Brewer's Best kit I made in spring. Like 6-9 months ago?

Anyway, MAJOR improvements over what it was before. The metallic taste has almost entirely subsided, it has great carbonation, good head, and a nice citrus flavour. Add a twist of orange or lemon and it's golden.

@jswordy - have you tried this one?

Yes, I tried it. Have some in the cooler now. It does age out better, although I am now using Clarity Ferm in my regular beers to get the same gluten-free effect by breaking the proteins. I like that a lot better than sorghum. Tried it yet? Be sure to shop for price on it, they vary wildly.

Yes, I tried it. Have some in the cooler now. It does age out better, although I am now using Clarity Ferm in my regular beers to get the same gluten-free effect by breaking the proteins. I like that a lot better than sorghum. Tried it yet? Be sure to shop for price on it, they vary wildly.

Hey Jim, from what I've understood this does not create a true gluten free beer that passes the 10ppm test. Any idea of the content?

A few weeks ago, they had a large number of just-out-of-date kits on sale for 20% off. I did not get any of those, but asked about them today. I asked if I could apply the 20% off "Packer discount" to the already-discounted out-of-date items. The answer was "no," because the out-of-date items were already discounted fifty percent.

"Excuse me, did you say '50%'... 'Five-zero?' "
"Why, yes I did!"

Oh, boy! They only had 6 kits left at these prices, but I made off with a CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo, and an Eclipse Nebbiolo. Both for about $180.

Hmm, this gets more interesting. I just decoded the date of my WE Eclipse Nebbiolo, and it is April 16, 2015. That's right, just 5 months old. Strange indeed.

The other kit, the CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo, was indeed just out of date, having been made on July 24, 2014.

I wonder what is up with that!? Are they getting rid of Winexpert, too, in favor of RJS? (It appears that they are getting rid of CC completely, but I thought they were hanging on to WE. Maybe not.)

Tonight is my 1st night in weeks to just sit and relax so I'm trying to catch up on my reading here.I've just been able to steal 5 minutes here and there.

Sent my daughter off to Kindergarten today. *SOB* how the heck is she old enough to be going to school?!?

:se
Wow she's a cutie. Looks a lot like her mom! It's amazing how fast time can go_One minute you're cuddling a little girl next you're standing beside them as they have their own.Love every day!

Sitting in a hospital waiting room while my youngest has surgery to reconstruct her inner ear.

I hope all went well for her .

Last edited:
You never know Julie! LOL

447550857_640.jpg

Oh he is quite harmless.

Hey Jim, from what I've understood this does not create a true gluten free beer that passes the 10ppm test. Any idea of the content?

I disagree. Yes, it does. I did a lot of research before trying it. Jimyson recommended it to me. The vial contains a protease inhibitor that very effectively breaks the gluten protein chains. It was originally made to prevent chill haze by breaking these proteins. Then they found out the nice side-effect of that is gluten ranges well below the government standard.

There are craft brewers across the USA using this and labeling their beer gluten free, with lab test results proving it because they have to test each batch for compliance. Example: http://thebeerdiaries.tv/beer-review/widmer-omission-ipa/

Many more commercial craft breweries simply label their beer low gluten to get around the stringent testing requirement, though spot testing from time to time indicates it is well under the 10 ppm government threshold.

For me and especially for my wife, Clarity Ferm means we can drink regular homebrew without the gluten reactions. I'm sold. Thanks, Jimyson.

Last edited:
I've had some serious interest expressed to me from family wanting to know more about the wine making process - specifically my wife and mother - both of whom almost never, ever drink. Interesting. But my dad and brother in law are curious as well. So I threw a note out to the local family to see if anyone is interested in a "press party" next weekend. I can't do a crush party since my supplier crushes for me. And the press is a little less stressful - more work, but less stressful. So we'll see: maybe I'll have my first 'wine event' next weekend if people are available.

WAY TO GO BOATBOY!!!!

A press party sounds like you will have a lot of fun. I hope you have enough wine for all of your guests!

I disagree. Yes, it does. I did a lot of research before trying it. Jimyson recommended it to me. The vial contains a protease inhibitor that very effectively breaks the gluten protein chains. It was originally made to prevent chill haze by breaking these proteins. Then they found out the nice side-effect of that is gluten ranges well below the government standard.

There are craft brewers across the USA using this and labeling their beer gluten free, with lab test results proving it because they have to test each batch for compliance. Example: http://thebeerdiaries.tv/beer-review/widmer-omission-ipa/

Many more commercial craft breweries simply label their beer low gluten to get around the stringent testing requirement, though spot testing from time to time indicates it is well under the 10 ppm government threshold.

For me and especially for my wife, Clarity Ferm means we can drink regular homebrew without the gluten reactions. I'm sold. Thanks, Jimyson.

Hey Jim, I checked out the link, and did a bit of searching myself - WOW! This is quite incredible! I'm definitely going to be looking into this ASAP. I'm going to get my hands on some, and do a bit of a test to see if I am still sensitive even when using this product.

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the link. I have a 10 year old Celiac/Type 1 diabetic son who will eventually grow up (hope not) and when he wants one of my beers (at 14 or so) will have to experiment a little. Alcohol isn't a real good idea for a diabetic, but when it eventually becomes of interest I hopefully can use this as a "look what's up my sleeve" type moment and teach him brewing. I've found that most brewers/winemakers respect what they are doing and rarely use their knowledge for abuse.

Took 55 gallons of juice off Walkers hands this afternoon. No lines, no waiting:D

Julie
Today was opening day.
11 gal Baco
6 gal Foch
5 gal Fredonia
10 gal Blueberry
6 gal Cayuga
6 gal Niagara
6 gal Raspberry Blush
5 gal Strawberry
Yes we do and it sure has.

Very nice Rod. Funny you bought Baco. I am standing on this Harvester this morning picking Baco. It was very thin as were most vinifera and hybrids in the area this year. We picked about 1 ton on this acre plot. This Baco went to another winery and I was getting the Vignoles next to it. My question is, what is Baco like? I've never had it. Are you going to sweeten it (I think I know that answer already)? This is a link to a video I took on it.

001.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Jim, I checked out the link, and did a bit of searching myself - WOW! This is quite incredible! I'm definitely going to be looking into this ASAP. I'm going to get my hands on some, and do a bit of a test to see if I am still sensitive even when using this product.

Please let me know of your results. I have not heard of anyone yet who still reacted after brewing with Clarity Ferm. Shop around; you can find it for as cheap as $2.99 a vial or as high as $8.99. One vial treats 5-6 gallons.

Thought I was going to be stuck inside either the house or garage today, but low and behold, woke up to some sunshine, checked the radar and the rain pressed back south. Was at the PA/MD border when I went to bed last night, even closed the windows before going to bed.

So I did the long walk/shower/breakfast/haircut/groceries and on the way home browsed the community yard sale for wine type items. No used press, but I tried. We have a yard sale twice a year, the fire company offers food as a fund raiser.

As I waited for the dew on the lawn to dry I started up a batch of chili for lunch and lunches next week. Bought a 7 lb chicken to smoke on the weber this afternoon. Was going to prepare my bucket for the Chardonel pickup tomorrow and realized I did a smart thing for once, left a fermenting bucket with the gentleman I'm getting the Chardonel from. Guess I'll relax and go get a beer, it's noon somewhere.

Edit: Lawn done, starting charcoal for weber bullet, what a beautiful day outside. High 60s, nice breeze with beautiful sunshine. Chili was yummy too, just enough fresh cilantro.

Edit 2: Damn I'm old. Listening to a CD I found laying around, Boston circa 1976, I remember when that came out. Now I'm wondering if that grey hair that I saw that the barber cut off might have actually been mine. Here I thought it might be from the last client.

Last edited:
Back