What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked off a Pinot Grigio and Riesling both 2012 kits from RJ Spangols. I feared they were too old but are turning out very well. Should be ready to bottle in another month.

I'm on cloud 19... way beyond 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our homeownership interview went AMAZING!!!! Looks like it may well be in the bag!!!!!!

My winemaking hobby came up when we were discussing recreation budget. Turns out one of the interviewers was a former winemaker, small world, huh? We had a brief discussion about wine making, and the second interviewer was impressed and it explained the 2 visible carboys and the demijohn.

I'm soooooooooooo haaaaaaaaaappppppppyyyyyy! Time to celebrate!

Plow,

our family had a 18 ft inboard and we had a sunfish sailboat when we were growing up. Dad would pull 12 of us waterskiing up behind the boat in my younger years. I used to complain that boat gas was 79 cents a gallon.

Started a Ocean Mist Green Apple Riesling and added sugar to get the SG up to 1.075. Backsweetening and bottling of the Crab Apple, Apple Cherry, Cinnamon Pear and Cinnamon Cherry will take place soon.

Yep they do guzzle the gas. In an afternoon I could burn through 40L without trying too hard. Haven't broken down and gotten a trolling motor yet so the 70 horse has a drop down trolling plate behind the propeller to slow things down. I'll run it just off idol to get her up to 2-1/2 or 3mph. Seems to do the job, just make sure the tanks are full before leaving the dock.

In other news on the plowboy front: I've left the family farm behind and am breaking out on my own. So far I haven't found a new job but something will turn up. Come spring time I'm hoping to get into the Millwriteing trade. Im also looking to buy my first house. Odds are you should not be looking at buying a house when your unemployed but here I am lol.

I don't understand what a home ownership interview is all about and why did you have to hide the wine?

I was confused by that as well. Congrats and hoping it works in your favor. I'm too much of an odd ball to put up with any type of HOA rules and regulations. Local ordinances are bad enough.

I don't understand what a home ownership interview is all about and why did you have to hide the wine?

The definition of impossible is getting a conventional mortgage while self employed and have no credit history (I.e. I have good credit from previous small bank loans but no credit cards.) Banks and loan companies have a tendency to run, not walk, when lending large sums on our demographic even though we have a fairly decent amount stocked back for down payment (a perk of being a bargain hunter/crazy coupon lady.)

That being the case, we applied for Habitat for Humanity build. Today was our home interview and we didn't think it would set a very good impression of ourselves had there been THAT MUCH (33 gal) sitting on the counter. If the interviewers didn't know that it takes MONTHS or more, they may have thought we were big flaming drunkards. In fact, the lady said something to the effect of, "is that what those are, I thought you were making moonshine or something" when the subject was brought up.The gentleman recognized it immediately though and sparked up a conversation.

For the record, were not like dirt poor but were not rolling in it either, this seemed the only option for homeownership given our situation. In fact, I was shocked that we fell into their income bracket. Apparently there has been an increase of foreclosures as of late, and if they don't find qualified people, within their bracket, who can fully carry out their agreement, they lose funding in our area.

It seemed like a shot, we threw it out there, and it looks like it may work out. I really hope that nobody thinks less of me, but I believe that there is always a way to make things work if you work hard and have faith.

Despite what some may think, were not "getting a free house", we have to volunteer hours before and during the build, we still have to have a down payment, and we will still have a set mortgage like anyone else. However, the mortgage is for building cost only and there is no interest. The downside is, we have a limited choice of lots and only 2 construction options. But to be able to have a place and stop paying this ridiculous rent is worth it.

So there ya go, I'm still on cloud 19. Plus the hubby took us out for a celebration dinner. And I bought 3 new pillows at Kohl's for a whopping $1.23 total (again w/ the crazy coupon lady.)

Well definately a big Congratulations Gina. I'm a firm believer in the fact that good things come to those who deserve them most...Keep us posted. HFH is a great organization...

Can't say I would ever think less of somebody for wanting to give there family a better life.

I too will have to do a major song and dance for the bank to get a loan. On paper I made about a 1/3 less than the previous tax year. It wasn't that I was making less, it was the fact I went from paying rent out of pocket to paying rent with hours worked around the farm.

As for the "tax-free income" bills need paying, food needs to be on the table and the baby always seems to need new shoes.

Gina congratulations. Habitat is a great organization, why wouldn't you take advantage of it if you fall into the qualifications.You get to help build it and continue to volunteer so another person can experience the same thing. Keep us posted with pictures when it happens.

Thanks Guys!

@ plowboy : Okay, so you get it then.

@ Runningwolf : Will Do. I'm sure there will be plenty of pics.

In wine making news I picked up a cool empty carboy storage thing at our local Bargain hunt store for $2.70. Great space saver. I just wish they had more than one. I added a stock photo, turns out they are about $28 on amazon, I got a deal! Yay!

41wt4WKNPyL._SY300_.jpg

In wine making news I picked up a cool empty carboy storage thing at our local Bargain hunt store for $2.70. Great space saver. I just wish they had more than one. I added a stock photo, turns out they are about $28 on amazon, I got a deal! Yay!

Do you have a name for that cool empty carboy storage thing that I can search for on Amazon or a link to it there? I tried a few things and only found a couple at much higher prices that $28. I might be willing to pay that amount for them. Three carboys in the footprint of one, might well be worth it.

Yep, fully understand. The house we are looking at is just outside our current price range. Of everything goes as planned, life will suck for the first couple of months but will get much better than our current situation.

Best of luck with the house. mortgage rates are so low at least in Canada it seems almost stupid to keep renting.

Last edited:
In other, other news I landed myself a job interview for tomorrow. Haven't really applied for a job yet but sent my resume to a couple friends. Well I guess the word got out and I got myself a cold call.

Going to see the possible new house in the morning too. Lots of big changes are in the works. Something tells me I should try and get a couple of my bulk aging batches into bottles.

Do you have a name for that cool empty carboy storage thing that I can search for on Amazon or a link to it there? I tried a few things and only found a couple at much higher prices that $28. I might be willing to pay that amount for them. Three carboys in the footprint of one, might well be worth it.

Bottle buddy modular is what I typed into my Google search. Looks like they are actually expandable. Cool that they can be linked to stack higher and longer.

Here is the amazon link

Sorry about the double post earlier. My phone was acting stupid with the app, so I fixed it on my laptop.

Last edited:
I think I may transfer my peach wine to carboy on my break this am. This afternoon we are going to go pick up our new puppy....I can't wait...finally getting a German Shepherd.

Latest posts

Back