What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got up early this morning. It was a beautiful sunny morning with not a cloud in the sky. My barbera had a SG of 0.990 so I decided to press today. Maceration led to terrific extraction. The pressed juice was a very deep purple. Tasted wonderful. Acidity was high so I corrected that. Tomorrow I will start MLF. Spring is finally here. I hope you had a special Easter or Passover.

Had an awesome Easter cookout, egg hunt for the kids, and a few games of croquet. Ended the evening with a chill around the fire pit.

Great Easter! Hope everyone else had an equally or awesomer day!

Easter was an awesome blur of sugar-crazed kids, church, and good eats :)

Today is also the 15th anniversary of mine and my hubby's first date. Time flies! Oh to be 16 again...

Congrats, Ray!

Just got back from a great very long weekend in North Carolina! Went to Dennis Vineyards, I love their wines. We didn't go last year so I was very excited to go this year. What I really love about North Carolina wineries, is for $4 you get to taste 6 different wines and you get to take the wine glass home with you. So we line up the six we want to try, all muscadines, they are ones we have had in the past and totally loved. Shocker!!!!!! We didn't care for them as much as we have in the past. The wines were lighter in flavor than I cared for. My muscadines are much stronger in flavor than the wineries.

On the plus side, all the muscadines on our son's property are beginning to leaf out and the two fig trees are doing very well. :db

Julie,
Dennis Vineyards Muscadines are all dry wines aren't they? I prefer sweet muscadine wine myself.
Have you ever tried Duplin Wines in Rose Hill, NC?
They are my favorite. I order about three cases a year from there, and I belong to their Heritage club. They sell two varieties of Duplin at my local wine store, but Duplin sells about 15 varieties.

Last edited:
Julie,
Dennis Vineyards Muscadines are all dry wines aren't they? I prefer sweet muscadine wine myself.
Have you ever tried Duplin Wines in Rose Hill, NC?
They are my favorite. I order about three cases a year from there, and I belong to their Heritage club. They sell two varieties of Duplin at my local wine store, but Duplin sells about 15 varieties.

You may want to give Southern Charms winery and Country Squire Winery. They are favorites of my Husband and I. They also ship.

Doug, no they are not all dry, they have dry, semi-dry and sweet muscadines. We do ours as a semi-dry and that is what we were trying.

Doug & Shelley, thanks for the suggestions on wineries. I will definitely check these out.

Doug, no they are not all dry, they have dry, semi-dry and sweet muscadines. We do ours as a semi-dry and that is what we were trying.

Doug & Shelley, thanks for the suggestions on wineries. I will definitely check these out.

Julie,
Duplin is famous for The Mother Vine Wine. It's a grapevine that is 400 years old and still producing.

I have a bottle, but I think it's made from vines propagated from the mother vine. I'll take a picture of the bottle and attach it in another message..

Our son just bought a home in Westerville Ohio. We are spending a few days helping him get situated.

Another busy couple of days! Shew I stay up to my ears!

Last night I started up a batch of Skeeter Pee, hopefully I won't flop this one. I finished putting together my very first absolutely original recipe. I suppose I could have considered the Old Orchard Cherry Pomegranate my first because I couldn't find a recipe fo it specifically. I modified the OO Blue/Pom recipe, and I don't think that is "original" enough.

Gonna give the yeastie babies a head start and get those primaries a'bubblin' in a little bit.

It was such a nice day that I couldn't stand being indoors. So I turned in some some paperwork together and got a home ownership application. Cross fingers, say prayers, send good vibes or whatever you do to help me out with getting a HOUSE! Would be really nice to have a real honest-to-goodness set aside wine-making area/lab rather than keeping them on the kitchen cabinet.

After all that running was done my daughter and I grabbed some early supper, and went shopping. Didn't find much I couldn't live without BUUUUUUUUUT...... In an effort to expand my knowledge of wine and in preparation to purchase a kit, I picked up 6 different wines (all very low end). I figure if I get the low end wine to taste-test on, I'll at least have a ballpark idea of what I would like to get a kit of. The kit SHOULD be better. I hate getting my hopes up only to be disappointed.

I turned in some some paperwork together and got a home ownership application. Cross fingers, say prayers, send good vibes or whatever you do to help me out with getting a HOUSE! Would be really nice to have a real honest-to-goodness set aside wine-making area/lab rather than keeping them on the kitchen cabinet.
Gina it sounds like you had an awesome day. Especially the shopping part.
I'll be sending some good vibes to the credit and real estate Gods for you. Aside from taxes, insurance, mowing the lawn, weeding, replacing water heaters, air conditioners and little things like that, home ownership is one of the best feelings in the world.

I bottled my Welches Unofficial wine competition wine and my LE 2013 Shiraz/Viognier. Time to find something to fill those carboys with.

Gina it sounds like you had an awesome day. Especially the shopping part.
I'll be sending some good vibes to the credit and real estate Gods for you. Aside from taxes, insurance, mowing the lawn, weeding, replacing water heaters, air conditioners and little things like that, home ownership is one of the best feelings in the world.

Thanks for the vibes Lori! I know all about the hassles of home ownership, been down that road before. I let my ex-husband keep the house in our divorce, and my cat too :( . Fortunately, I'll be getting my settlement money in full very soon, which makes for a nice down payment with what we've gotten saved.

Sitting at home resting my foot... I thought I might have broken it at soccer training last night but seems to be improving, just a bruise I hope. Starting a new chapter on my thesis, getting into the writing zone is always tough - especially because it is an absolutely stunning day outside.
And, of course, staring at my wine and looking forward to the next time I can play with it!

I am ready for a break. Steam cleaned the carpets, transferred two batches and got them in the back room for aging, set two batches for clearing and found my kitchen after everything was finished. Now what to drink for relaxation.

Back