What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: I did get the WE LE Oregon Pinot started, AND I painted the back wall of my under-construction wine closet, AND I delabled a dozen bottles that had been soaking. Now I am sipping some Mezza Luna and reading WMT. Yes!

Water leak is fixed, faucets are not dripping/leaking, access hole cut, washing machine hoses changed, whole house filter opened, life insurance set up and taxes are done.

Have I ever said how much I loathe paying taxes? let me say it AGAIN....

Looking to backsweeten the Pinot Grigio tomorrow and bottle by the end of the week. Thanks Tony for the Portugese.

I finished(finally) our taxes,and I too hate paying!! Bottled my raspberry/blackberry and got some more packing done.

been fermenting my pineapple/banana for a couple days and the wonderful smell is making it's way up the stairs mmmmm it smells delish! I revamped the recipe I made I'll go to the recipe section after its done and post the results, I had changed a few things like the pounds of fruit I used and I have some banana chips soaking in vodka gonna add later and changed the yeast I'm hoping it will be drinkable this summer!:db

Got my Margaritaville on last night. Guess who's a closet parrothead lol.

It's all good though , a Jimmy Buffett concert was actually my wife's first date with me.

Landscape contractor visiting this afternoon. The cold weather did a job on our stuff over the winter. And with more persistent snow cover than normal, the deer took to eating much, much more than they normally would. It is a good year to be a landscaper.

Got my Margaritaville on last night. Guess who's a closet parrothead lol.

It's all good though , a Jimmy Buffett concert was actually my wife's first date with me.

Jimmy is a fraternity brother of mine.

Up to 2 am this morning completing our taxes, the kids taxes and writing checks. Tonight, I think it will be backsweetening the Pinot Grigio and an early nite. I'm too old for staying up this late and trying to function the next day....

Last edited:
Came home from work early. Seems my gut feelings about unit lay offs were right. Have a few more weeks. But i got a jump on it. Thursday ill be at a job interview. :)

Came home from work early. Seems my gut feelings about unit lay offs were right. Have a few more weeks. But i got a jump on it. Thursday ill be at a job interview. :)

Here's to a speedy re-employment. :dg Hopefully, you get a nice severance and come out ahead.

Too much yard work over the weekend, still sore today. Had a busy week, went to a pre-construction meeting Friday for the new house, got home Saturday night and racked my Island Mist Sangria Zinfandel blush. Put the yeast slurry in the frig. to save for a DB or another Skeeter Pee.
Yard work all day Sunday. Went to work on Mon:Dday to rest up for next weekend...
Oh, and mailed my taxes today, and to join everyone else, I hate paying taxes as well.

Wow! The last couple of days have been awesome but exhausting!

The hubby, A.K.A. Captain Procrastination, FINALLY got around to doing taxes. He was so scared that he was going to owe a ton, but I knew better. This year we FINALLY got to file as married, and claim two children. I have no idea why he thought he'd have to pay in but we ended up getting back over $3k but had to pay $101 to state... Whoo-Tee-Doo right? Unfortunately we think it'll probably be taken for his prior school loans... oh well.

Tonight, I finally had some time to bottle, and boy-howdy did I! Bottled my Old orchard Cherry Pomegranate, Skittles, Strawberry Jam, and Blueberry Candy Cane.

Welcome the newest members of the Chi Pass Family!

WP_000674.jpg

WP_000676.jpg

strawberry wine too sweet, darn it anyhow!

decided to make it into a strawberry margarita style wine, the only downfall is I have to come up with some new labels now:ft and it was so clear!

Rode the bike in to work today, it's a brisk 37 here in the Burgh. Brrrrrrrrr...

Tonight I may attempt to bottle the Destiny and also my 6 gallons of Cranberry Lime Skeeter pee. We pulled some of the pee from the carboy over the weekend so I don't want to let it sit too long without bottling.

made my strawberry wine into a strawberry margarita style wine, I did this by zesting a lime then removed the white skin from the lime and discarded this along with the pith and cut the wedges into two last night I gave it a taste just a while ago and it taste just like a strawberry margarita! Mission accomplished! And has a kick to it. Didn't know the lime would add that much flavor so fast! I really wanted to turn this into a chocolate strawberry port but had no cocoa on hand, pineapple banana still fermenting in bucket. I'm really getting into this experimental stage!:db

Just back from Staples, where I printed my 2013 Malbec and Carmenere labels. Stopped at Michael's next door to get some clearcoat, and got some black matte spray paint to put my new logo on the barrels. :db

Tonight, I finally had some time to bottle, and boy-howdy did I! Bottled my Old orchard Cherry Pomegranate, Skittles, Strawberry Jam, and Blueberry Candy Cane.

Welcome the newest members of the Chi Pass Family!

Hey Gina,

What are you using to design and print your labels? I've been using the Avery template, and printing on color lasers at Staples. But I can't get edge to edge coverage on the labels.

Hey Gina,

What are you using to design and print your labels? I've been using the Avery template, and printing on color lasers at Staples. But I can't get edge to edge coverage on the labels.

I use a combination of Gimp and MS Publisher on labels. On the first bottle I usually test- label, on regular paper and glue on to test how it's going to look as far as color. The test bottle is being socked away to age for in-house drinking later on, so I'm not too concerned about Since non-clear bottles and wine color can make a huge difference to overall appearance (IMHO). If I don't like it, I go back to the drawing board.

As far as labels, I've tried a few methods.

1) Plain paper and glue stick or school glue. Works, but can be not so pretty. Downfall is that you have to cut them out. Glue comes off really easily when de-labelling.

2) I've tinkered around with using Avery labels, and you can get edge to edge coloring in MS Publisher if you can find an image of the template and size perfectly with the lines. I hate removing these... what a pain!

3) Vistaprint labels. You can actually get really really cheap since Vistaprint posts Groupons A LOT! Recently they had one for $17 for $70 in products or $20 for $100. On top of that savings you can also use them when they have percentage off sales. I think My last order was something like $17 + shipping for 180 3x4inch labels. So you can get them DIRT CHEAP!!!!! Personally I think the VP labels are a PITA to remove, but they look great and they're affordable. (Pic 1)

And lastly, my personal favorite!

4) Print on regular paper (sometimes I use my dye-sub printer) and cut out. Cut a slightly larger piece of clear contact paper. Center the printout on the contact paper and stick. Removal is a BREEZE, it's affordable, re-positionable, reusable, and gives a nice shine. (and you can do some nifty stuff like the see-thru dragon on the DB by using the a Cricut Machine). (Pic 2)

I guess it depends on how I'm feeling like labelling and what would look best.

WP_000577.jpg

WP_000682.jpg

Last edited:
That's a whole lot of work. Too much for this lazy guy. I just slap the same label on everything and just change the wording and date to suite what's going in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back