What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the May 2-4 weekend up here that marks the start of the outdoor planting season. Even then frost is a real danger. All depends of that silly full moon.

It's also the unofficial start to the wheeling season. Legally we can wheel may first as that's when the snowmobile land lease is up but things are normally still swampy from the melt. The darn snow is sure sticking around this year.

Lori are you kidding me. It'll be close to Memorial Day before we can safely plant and late June before our garden looks like yours.

We have a pretty long growing season here although we had a long hard winter too. It got down to 28º one night! :)
However, by July, unless you have super heat tolerant crops, you are done until fall.

yep Memorial Day has always been the official planting day for us too, but if I remember correctly we had a late frost last year good thing I'm such a procrastinator :i. Am in no hurry this year either lol Good things come to those who wait. And Lori those are some nice raised beds you have there, looks very nice!

Our soil is mostly sand so they are the easiest way. I love using the raised beds, because they are so easy to take care of and don't require as much bending over. I can weed while sitting on the edge. (yeah, i'm a lazy gardener.
The two on the left are 16'x4' and then one on the far right we added this year. It's 16' x 1-1/2'. The square is 8'x8'. Thats my favorite for lettuces or squash.

Our soil is mostly sand so they are the easiest way. I love using the raised beds, because they are so easy to take care of and don't require as much bending over. I can weed while sitting on the edge. (yeah, i'm a lazy gardener.
The two on the left are 16'x4' and then one on the far right we added this year. It's 16' x 1-1/2'. The square is 8'x8'. Thats my favorite for lettuces or squash.

I'm a lazy gardener also but every year I add something new that will grow every year:slp Too bad the tomatoes, peppers, kale and lettuce are annuals! I won't plant any annual flowers anymore I think their a waste of time and energy! But I was admiring your raised beds!

I had some kind of mutant frost on the windshield and the other car windows this morning. Scraping barely made a dent in it. Fortunately, the Honda has a good defroster.

this week will be spent doing taxes and sending in the hard copies to the TTB. Turbo tax took me from paying a bunch to getting some back. My Spidey sense tells me something isn't right...

It's also the unofficial start to the wheeling season. Legally we can wheel may first as that's when the snowmobile land lease is up but things are normally still swampy from the melt. The darn snow is sure sticking around this year.

PB, what do you mean wheeling? You're not allowed to 4 wheel before that date?

PB, what do you mean wheeling? You're not allowed to 4 wheel before that date?

It's a little complicated. For the most part we wheel public land. During the winter the snowmobile clubs lease the land so they more or less own the trails till may first. Most of the trails are impassable in the winter anyways. 6-12 feet of snow really puts the breaks on things. The clubs also spend a tonne on grooming the trails. I would hate to rut it up.

The time between when the snow starts to melt to the time it's more or less dry can be complicated. You can legally wheel but the damage you do to the trails can be massive. It's best just to let things dry up and keep the trails open.

That being said, there will always be the group of people who don't give a rats bum about anybody or anything that really mess things up. We haven't lost any trails yet but the greenies are always trying there best to stop the fun.

All bets are off if it's privet land and your have consent. Some road allowances can also be a hoot.

I've had A LOOOOOONG Week/weekend (so far)! Thursday went to GFS for the food for my sister's baby shower, Friday decorated for baby shower, Firday Night prepared and/or cooked taco bar food for 70+ ppl. Saturday executed said baby shower.

Everything went smoothly, I've never seen so many gift! Guests loved the games. The date night basket (which had a white grape peach tropical DB anda quad-berry DB) and spa pampering basket (included a blueberry-Pom)were well received. Guests that won the door prizes and runner up prizes received a bottle of Strawberry DB backsweetend with bacardi strawberry mixer AKA LIL' Pink Penguin, were stoked to get a bottle. In fact I had people texting me well past midnight (because of the UK game) about it!

My cousin who works at the winery/B and B finally came through and brought me 3 1/2 boxes of empties! YAY, I'm finally stocked for a minute!

Plus we had sooooo much leftover food, that I'm not cooking for a few days. When we have a party, we ROLL-OUT the buffet!

****The Rant Part****

My sister said thank you publicly several times to me, but I'm still waiting on my mom's thank-you. I mean, I bought ALL the food and drinks, except 4 cupcakes AND COOKED all but 2 things that just needed to be put in a crock pot. You have no idea how much chopping is involved with a taco bar for 70 ppl... tomatoes and onions.... ugggggh! Designed printed and assembled 70 cupcake toppers 70 water bottles w/ custom labels, the pages for the games, and 100 invitations. Also provided table runners, centerpieces, several bottles of wine, 2 gift baskets, a $20 gift certificate, and a PHOTO BOOTH for Pete's sake!

At one point, setting up for the party, she snapped at me for not having the photo booth set up. I snapped back with "I've done everything else! I'll get this done too!" And she was like "What do you mean everything else?" WHAAAAT?!?!?! I don't want to shove an expensive peice of equipment into the back of a car, photo booths aren't cheap, and I really don't want to damage it or the expensive touch screen monitor. Photo booth rental is part of our livelihood and she should be grateful that we let her use it free!

I think I did a LOT of work and saved her a TON of money, she really needs to show some appreciation.

****Rant Over****

I'm gonna go have some leftovers and clean bottles now. :)

I've had A LOOOOOONG Week/weekend (so far)! Thursday went to GFS for the food for my sister's baby shower, Friday decorated for baby shower, Firday Night prepared and/or cooked taco bar food for 70+ ppl. Saturday executed said baby shower.

Everything went smoothly, I've never seen so many gift! Guests loved the games. The date night basket (which had a white grape peach tropical DB anda quad-berry DB) and spa pampering basket (included a blueberry-Pom)were well received. Guests that won the door prizes and runner up prizes received a bottle of Strawberry DB backsweetend with bacardi strawberry mixer AKA LIL' Pink Penguin, were stoked to get a bottle. In fact I had people texting me well past midnight (because of the UK game) about it!

My cousin who works at the winery/B and B finally came through and brought me 3 1/2 boxes of empties! YAY, I'm finally stocked for a minute!

Plus we had sooooo much leftover food, that I'm not cooking for a few days. When we have a party, we ROLL-OUT the buffet!

****The Rant Part****

My sister said thank you publicly several times to me, but I'm still waiting on my mom's thank-you. I mean, I bought ALL the food and drinks, except 4 cupcakes AND COOKED all but 2 things that just needed to be put in a crock pot. You have no idea how much chopping is involved with a taco bar for 70 ppl... tomatoes and onions.... ugggggh! Designed printed and assembled 70 cupcake toppers 70 water bottles w/ custom labels, the pages for the games, and 100 invitations. Also provided table runners, centerpieces, several bottles of wine, 2 gift baskets, a $20 gift certificate, and a PHOTO BOOTH for Pete's sake!

At one point, setting up for the party, she snapped at me for not having the photo booth set up. I snapped back with "I've done everything else! I'll get this done too!" And she was like "What do you mean everything else?" WHAAAAT?!?!?! I don't want to shove an expensive peice of equipment into the back of a car, photo booths aren't cheap, and I really don't want to damage it or the expensive touch screen monitor. Photo booth rental is part of our livelihood and she should be grateful that we let her use it free!

I think I did a LOT of work and saved her a TON of money, she really needs to show some appreciation.

****Rant Over****

I'm gonna go have some leftovers and clean bottles now. :)

Sounds like you did one heck of a job.
Your Mother may not have said thank you, but your sister did and the shower was for her. I know it is disappointing to work so hard for a shower and feel like you were just expected to do it by family members.
In the end,, you sister and the guests had a great time, right? That's something to be proud of. It's not easy. (but you already know that, lol)

waiting for fruit to ripen!

I'm attempting a banana/pineapple wine and waiting for the fruit to ripen the bananas should be over ripe by tomorrow. Should the pineapple that are to be used be over ripe as well? I was able to cut up some of the bananas and some pineapple the other day I'm thinking the pineapple should be over ripe as well to maybe lower the acidity? Any help would be appreciated!

My daughter turned 4 today. Gak! Where did the time go?!?

We had the party yesterday with all the requisite things: ice cream cake, loud blowers, stick on mustaches, gifts, and family. It was a great time, and the kids looked hilarious with those mustaches on!

This weekend racked 18 gallons of Nero D'Avola and bottled 6 gallons of Skeeter Pee. Today back to the Daily Grind.:c

I completed "the beast" today. From what I understand it's about twice the size as the normal whole house filter. It was the closest thing I could source locally. Filters down to 1 micron but the filters run 8 bucks. Oh well close enough. It will be months before anything needs filtering so odds are ill do a water test soon to see in gravity has the power to do the job.

ameda4ys.jpg

this is the water system we put in. It has the ultra violet light as well to zap anything that got through the filters

DSC00982.jpg

Latest posts

Back