What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry all, havent been able to be on here much, new house fixing it up before we move inn here much. Besides my standard forty at normal work Im been putting in 4-5 hours a night during the week and 10 hours a day on weekends fixing up the new house before we move in. I usu\ally dont even have the ambition to fire up the computer after taking a shower and eating. I do still manage to sneak out once a week Friday or Saturday night to do some Striper fishing though despite typically getting skunked as the water has warmed up to fast this year so they are staying out in the deep waters!

So much to do and not enough time in the day to everything done. Good luck with the new house Wade

ARGH!!! now I have to try bentonite, and I have sparkolliod and PVPP in the wings.

But I did finish an OSHA class today, then decorated for the girl's grad party on next Saturday. As a reward, I downed a bottle of ffemt's muscadine. BEFORE YOU DIE, YOU MUST DRINK A BOTTLE OF DOUG'S NOBLE MUSCADINE!!!!! "Awesome" does not do it justice. We also finished most of a bottle of Skeeter Pee. while watching some fireworks from the back deck. It don't get no better....

Canned 6 jars of Bread & Butter pickles yesterday. Made them a little spicey with some hot pepper flakes & cayne pepper. Also set up the wine rack in the garage that I got from Hokapsig & re-arranged full & empty cases. Hopefully I can rack or filter the eight 5 & 6 gal carboys sitting in the laundry room thats been well over due. Where does all the time go!!! Don't know what I would do if I had to actually work..........

Al

5 gal. Blackberry wine in primary,2 gal. of sweet corn wine in primary. Getting ready to make wild plum. from fruit.

Getting ready to start putting up the Timothy grass hay the monsoons are a threat in Nv. as well as Az. I love the moisture in the air, and the rain storms But must get good crops in to make ends meet so I prepare to run the gauntlet.:rn

Filtered my Johanesberg Reisling, Sauvignon Blanc, Peach, Brianna, and 6 gallons of skeeter pee today. The Reisling and Sav Blanc were intended to be for my nieces wedding in October. They will be a year old in August. The reisling tastes good, the Sav Blanc I think needs more time. There is a strong alcohol taste at the end that I know will smooth out over time. Need to decide if I'm actually going to donate them.

Bill, thanks for the compliments on the Noble Muscadine. There's more where that came from. We need to hook up for bottles sometime.

I haven't been able to work on my wines all weekend. My wife got a huge promotion last week and is now the Branch Manager where she works. I've been painting and redecoration her office since Friday evening. I told her she is now my "Sugar Mama" and she told me, "don't to get any ideas about an early retirement you have to keep working". :ft

Bottled the Cabernet today after I finished getting everything in the shed boxed up. Racked the EP Amarone and got it in the fridge. It will only have about 30 days to cold stabilize before I move, but hoping it will drop crystals in that short a time. better than not trying I suppose.

Bottled a carboy of Catawba, Saturday evening. And filtered the other Catawba. Bottled that Sunday. Need to wait one to two months for the Fredonia's. Then three to four months for the Diamond.

Last edited:
Filtered my Johanesberg Reisling, Sauvignon Blanc, Peach, Brianna, and 6 gallons of skeeter pee today. The Reisling and Sav Blanc were intended to be for my nieces wedding in October. They will be a year old in August. The reisling tastes good, the Sav Blanc I think needs more time. There is a strong alcohol taste at the end that I know will smooth out over time. Need to decide if I'm actually going to donate them.

Bill, thanks for the compliments on the Noble Muscadine. There's more where that came from. We need to hook up for bottles sometime.

Doug,

Anytime. Not only was the Muscadine a hit with both the wife and I, but combined with a glass or two of Skeeter Pee, made for a VERY interesting evening (with a BIG smile on my face). ::

I've got at least another 10 cases that I can spare at the present. I'm out of the area for the next 2 weeks (WV and KY), but should be good after that to meet up.

Just checked my skeeter pee. S. G. is still above 1.000. It is 1.010 which is only .005 lower than yesterday. A little frustrated, but it due time I guess

Just racked my CC Showcase Old Vine Zin. It's been bulk aging for two months now and tasting pretty good. Gonna give it another month or two, then bottle.

Got through a mild panic today. I had about 4 bottles of wine in the shelf three of which without a label and I wondered what they were. I opened one and it seemed like it was starting to turn. Huge panic! Are all my wines in danger?!!! I opened a second and a third, same thing. More panic! Then I noticed that the fourth bottle had the simple label, "Rosso Fortissimo 2011." I opened it with trepidation and tried it. Wonderful!

All I can figure, based on the small number of bottles (3) and the absense of an ID is that those bottles were from an "overage" from a racking and I just grabbed three bottles without properely sanitizing them and filled them. The wine was not clear so I know that they were not from a formal bottling. As Billy S. says, "All's well that ends well!"

Lesson learned: Sanitize!!!

Racked my first batch of skeeter per into the secondary.
Tat, I am glad it is finally there! I have been breathlessly waiting until that batch of skeeter pee finally went into glass! Seriously you will find it was worth the wait. Eventually you will get to the point that it actually finishes in the Primary and you only rack it to the secondary to clear. I worried about my first 10 or 15 batches, now if I havent looked at it for 3 months then I check it out. Congratulations on your first! Enjoy several more!

Thank you pjd!!!! I tasted it when I started the siphon. It didn't taste too good with all the sediment still floating in it, but it is stout!!! I can't wait to taste it after it has cleared!!! I did let the fermentation finish in the primary. I added the kmeta, sorbate, and sparklloid today. 4 more weeks and I'll be drinking it up!!!!!! :D

Finished with the girl's grad party, which turned into a Bushy Run Wine tasting party. I served my own Shiraz/Zin, Symphony, Riesling, Cab Franc Ice Wine, White Zin, and Skeeter Pee (Big fan favorite), along with Rodo's Apple Wine, Al's Blueberry/Pom, and Doug's Bronze Muscadine. ALL were huge hits with many favorable reviews and calls for more. When they say Skeeter Pee can creep up on you, they ain't a kinding. I need to start 2 more batches of Skeeter Pee and I had an offer from a friend to come and get apples off his apple trees for wine making. I'm currently scanning Craig's list for a press.

Latest posts

Back