What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to say it, but sometimes it ain't worth taking a week off of work. This week was miserable, came home absolutely spent every night for the first time in years...

But did get a text from my daughter, she and her boyfriend signed a lease on an apartment. She'll be able to walk to all kinds of restaurants/shops etc and have a 5 minute drive to the hospital where she now works. Visited this afternoon after work. I'm guessing we'll see how well this relationship works pretty soon, I've seen larger shoe boxes. This apartment has 1 small kitchen, a stairway, a bathroom, a bedroom and some storage space in a basement, oh and two closets, one with a washer/dryer combo, that's it (for $1K per month). Yikes! Everything is new inside, old building renovated into apartments and one business.

Spent some time shopping and got them a cable modem/router combo. Went with the combo because there are only so many power outlets in that apartment. She's excited, I'm excited for them, just hope it works out! I like her boyfriend, he's pretty cool and isn't plastered with tatoos, yet.

After a "men's breakfast" headed back home to start a batch of beer for my nephew getting married at the end of July. Haven't brewed in a while, so went for a straight forward and simple pale ale. Mashed on the stove top (cooler has somethin' growin' in it), sparging my wort at the moment. Tastes really good (used Maris Otter malt from England). Have a semi-covered area to conduct the boil as it's raining on and off around here. Hoping to get done late afternoon, so far, so good!

6-24-23_beer-1.jpg

6-24-23_beer-2.jpg

After a "men's breakfast" headed back home to start a batch of beer for my nephew getting married at the end of July. Haven't brewed in a while, so went for a straight forward and simple pale ale. Mashed on the stove top (cooler has somethin' growin' in it), sparging my wort at the moment. Tastes really good (used Maris Otter malt from England). Have a semi-covered area to conduct the boil as it's raining on and off around here. Hoping to get done late afternoon, so far, so good!

View attachment 102646

View attachment 102647
Fun!

I am getting close, I need to place an order for a couple things I couldn't get locally, but I will likely be giving it a shot next weekend!

Fun!

I am getting close, I need to place an order for a couple things I couldn't get locally, but I will likely be giving it a shot next weekend!
Yes, and keep it fun! When it's not fun take a break from it.

I've got a couple of four corny kegs that are empty and clean in the basement. Might conjure up some ales that I can age for a bit, like porters, IPAs, barley wines. Need to get those filled before football season kicks in, and also before the stinging yellow jackets start taking over outside....they just love sweet boiling wort!

No problems if they fall in, just adds to the protein level of the beer, lol.

Edit: At least my wort finally started running clear, time to collect and boil.

6-24-23_beer-3.jpg

Last edited:
It's a beauty of a day here today. I have rib eyes on the counter absorbing a healthy dose of salt and seasonings. I just finished making a potato salad.

I bought myself a pretty new Washburn jumbo last week. I have been working on The Wind, and while I await happy hour I am practising that along with learning Father and Son by Cat Stevens.
PXL_20230624_204706937.jpg
PXL_20230624_202714929.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230624_202714929.jpg
    PXL_20230624_202714929.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Trying to make a simple hard cider and a basic grocery store juice wine today.

Attachments

• IMG_20230628_165808.jpg
    IMG_20230628_165808.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230628_162900.jpg
    IMG_20230628_162900.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 0
I got to do something very cool recently. A friend of mine works at the local golf course. It's a non profit and people donate a lot of time to make it a fun part of the community. We have been supporting them with advertising signs for years, but this year my company was able to make a sponsorship donation to allow all kids 16 and under to golf free for the rest of the season.

The picture was texted to me and shrunk to nothing, but it is me with some of the youth club. It was put on by my friend to get them basic lessons, and connected to other kids in the community that they can golf with.

There are only so many opportunities in life to offer kids a positive choice, and I am really exited to be a part of this one.

golf.jpg

There baaaack 🪲🪲🪲🪲🪲

Killed 5 of them on my vines this afternoon. Last year I got by on twice daily manual removal. This year the 50 vines are twice as big and there are 30 new ones.
Yep, they're hanging around my cherry tree, too. The cherries are done so the tree will be sprayed this week. We have also gotten our lawn treated for grubs the last couple of years. I think it helps.

Bottled a 3 gallon RJS Cru Specialty Vidal style ice wine. I have never tried ice wine before. This kit is delicious!! The cheapest bottle of the same style at Total Wine is $36 for a 375ml bottle!

Hubby and I both really liked the sample before I bottled it. So far this is the 3rd flavor of RJS Cru Specialty dessert wines and they all are at the top of the favorite list.

IMG_9337.jpegPet infirmary here today. We scheduled both dogs to have procedures yesterday. Figured they will be nicer to each other if they both feel like crap. Gus the 6mo old, 70lb Pyr had the more life altering work but Hank’s procedure has him on light duty for the next few weeks. Hank enjoys the status of being Gus’s favorite toy so we’re trying go give him a break to let his paw heal.

Back