What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way. It's a Toyota. That engine will run long after the body disintegrates. If your brakes are good, keep on runnin 'er. I'd say a starter is a starter. You have as much chance of a refurbished one failing as a new one. Other option is a low km one from a wrecker! Cheap cheap!
Local Toyota dealer had three Tacoma's in the age range of mine (1998), which they used for transporting parts. Total miles between the three was 1.4 million miles as of 4 years ago. I don't know if they still use them.

Mine has 200k miles and runs like a champ

Have I started down that road I did with my Subaru Forrester when it hit 328k and needed a new exhaust (the whole thing)?
I have a 99 suburban and I start thinking that way every time I have it in for repairs. Then I remember if I spend $700 a year on repairs and maintenance (typical) that breaks down to $58 a month. Pretty cheap car payment!

I have a 99 suburban and I start thinking that way every time I have it in for repairs. Then I remember if I spend $700 a year on repairs and maintenance (typical) that breaks down to $58 a month. Pretty cheap car payment!
My last 2 trucks I have bought new. It was a huge jump for me from always buying used for cash, never debt. For the last 10 years I lived in a 14x73 ft mobile that I bought off of kijiji for $17,000. That was the 3 year plan to build the house, before we built a business instead.

It really puts your spending into perspective building a property from scratch and doing it on the cheap. When I bought the newest truck, which was only a few years old before I bought the first new one, it was $18,000. I was driving a vehicle worth more than my home. It was a hard line to cross, but once I did, there's no going back. Hahah. Once you have heated seats and steering wheel in -40 Alberta.. You're not going to get used to not having it again by choice.

$58 is a far cry from what I pay a month, now. All I can say is enjoy every second.

Do I buy a cheap starter, or try and get a new one (starter, not car)? Most are remanufactured...but how many more miles can I expect out of a Corolla with a life expectancy of 250K, with the starter being the first original part to start failing except the battery and oil and transmission fluid and some radiator fluid?

Yeah, hard call. I would say that the part that is flashing the warning sign is NOT that vital. I.e., a starter is a starter, and is pretty much a commodity. Therefore, I lean towards fixing/keeping it. However, I have no idea how hard ($) it is to get to on a Corolla, which could spell the difference.

getting a stem cell transplant
Prayers and hoping all is going to go well with her...and you. My wife had Stem Cell replacement in January last year (Multiple Myeloma) and I think I cleaned spaces in our house that hadn't ever been touched to keep the dust/germs down. Even brought in a carpet cleaner company rather than doing that chore myself. It took a few weeks for her to get her strength up to where she could walk around without too much exertion and then get outside...another couple of months for her to get mostly back to normal. She is a schoolteacher and didn't return to school until the end of August, and that was pushing it I thought, but she wanted to get back to as near 'normal' as possible. I wish your wife a good return to health and for you as a caregiver some patience, understanding, and strength!

Prayers and hoping all is going to go well with her...and you. My wife had Stem Cell replacement in January last year (Multiple Myeloma) and I think I cleaned spaces in our house that hadn't ever been touched to keep the dust/germs down. Even brought in a carpet cleaner company rather than doing that chore myself. It took a few weeks for her to get her strength up to where she could walk around without too much exertion and then get outside...another couple of months for her to get mostly back to normal. She is a schoolteacher and didn't return to school until the end of August, and that was pushing it I thought, but she wanted to get back to as near 'normal' as possible. I wish your wife a good return to health and for you as a caregiver some patience, understanding, and strength!
Thanks for the reply I was hoping her recovery would be faster than that. How is your wife now?

Yeah, hard call. I would say that the part that is flashing the warning sign is NOT that vital. I.e., a starter is a starter, and is pretty much a commodity. Therefore, I lean towards fixing/keeping it. However, I have no idea how hard ($) it is to get to on a Corolla, which could spell the difference.
Easy to buy, 95% are refurbished. $148 and will get $22 back when I take the old one back in (core charge).

7-14-22_starter.jpg

Looks easy enough to install, even for me (computers, not autos are my game)!

If I fail (or flail), the old one still works, just a dead spot. A couple of raps on it with a metal object got the car to turn over. Will have wifey drop me off on her way in tomorrow to work, I'll drive it back home (with a hammer in tow) and attempt to change it out Saturday morning while making bacon and drinking coffee. If that doesn't work, I'll bring a few beers into the picture, that always helps the situation, lol.

Figuring between the towing charges and the garage charges, this will easily save me $400 and boost my male ego to boot!

Wish me luck!

How is your wife now?

She is doing much better. Still some lingering effects but mild, probably more due to the daily chemo pill she takes. She actually forgets how sick she was, so that is a good thing. Everyone is different, Wood1954, so your wife may be quicker, or it may take a bit of time. Send me an email if you wish, whenever you wish if you have questions. Whatever the cancer (or illness) Stem Cell Therapy really throws one for a loop.

Mike

Lot's of storms coming, having to beat the starter more often, so I replaced it this morning. Hardest part was loosening the bolts on the starter (original equipment, never taken off) with a compromised socket wrench. Have a new wrench on the wish list. Took 45 minutes as I had to rest my back a few times. I'm sure a professional would have it installed in 5 minutes. Works so far!

Finished up work on the guest bath today -- put in the shower rod. I mistakenly purchased a tension rod, which I exchanged this morning. I know from experience tension rods destroy the drywall. I patched the damage from the previous rod, and installed a screw-in model.

Which brings up an irritation -- the garbage drywall mounts included with items designed to be attached to drywall. I can get them to work about 50% of the time (maybe it's just me, but the darned things rotate in the drywall. So I buy a better grade on substitute. I had a bag like the ones in the picture which I saved "just in case", but binned 'em last night.

worthless.jpg

Mrs WM81 is very happy with the vanity and the towel rack:

vanity.jpg

towel rack.jpg

BTW -- getting these to line up, even when carefully using the provided guide, is a PITA. But using perseverance and some newly invented swear words, I triumphed!!! 😆

Got to watch my kid play in the VA State Baseball championship today. Proud Dad moment, and a fun 5 days. Kids ran out of gas after having to play two games yesterday and knock the defending champs out, but they punched their ticket to regionals.

Latest posts

Back