What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Jim!

Got to watch my kid play in the VA State Baseball championship today. Proud Dad moment, and a fun 5 days. Kids ran out of gas after having to play two games yesterday and knock the defending champs out, but they punched their ticket to regionals.

Neem oil + lanternflies = dead lanternflies. Straight white vinegar also works, but in my limited tests the neem oil knocks them out instantly (fall to the ground, stop moving within 2 minutes). Need direct contact for it to work.

Almost as fun as killing house flies with my new salt gun, lol. Didn't work against the lanternfly nymphs (not lol).

Edit: read on the PSU website that they like milkweed and it is poisonous to them. Time to get some milkweed started!

About a month ago, got a new heat pump unit that also does AC. Working like a charm in this hot humid weather. Installers said to replace the filter about a month after they left since there was some extra debris dislodged in the ducts with installing the new air handler and the stronger fan. So I did, but with a "basic" replacement filter. The old one, which I'm keeping as a backup since it was pretty clean, was a MERV 10, found out the basic one is a MERV 5. So since I paid so much for the new unit, I wanted to get Merv Griffin at a 10 not a 5.

Bought a MERV 11 replacement filter today (10's not available at Lowes), came down to the basement and waited for a while. Unit never shut off (very strange, the system is rated at SEER 17.5, pretty efficient). So went and pushed the front yard lawn, came back in, still running, but felt really nice inside! Noticed the indoor thermometer was registering 71...hmmm, really strange, rarely goes down to 73 (normally 74 or 75). Checked the thermostat, and someone (I have a pretty good idea) set it at 70!

So needless to say, I've had to read the manual (guys hate reading manuals for the most part) and have locked out my wife, oh I mean the culprit, from making any future temperature adjustments. When asked, no one admits it, so I think it was a "family" decision while I was at work.

Reading up on getting the wifi capabilities setup so I'll get warnings on my phone if someone figures out how to unlock the display. They'll never find the directions, they are on top of the unit in the basement. No self respecting wife would look there, makes too much sense, lol.

Our HVAC maintenance company recommends not going high with MERV, as the dense weave strains the system due to reduced air flow. I think their recommended MERV rating is 6 to 8, but Mrs WM81 purchases the filters and I just install them, so I'm not positive.

YMMV

Our HVAC maintenance company recommends not going high with MERV, as the dense weave strains the system due to reduced air flow. I think their recommended MERV rating is 6 to 8, but Mrs WM81 purchases the filters and I just install them, so I'm not positive.

YMMV
I was trying to see what they 1) recommended and 2) the power of the variable speed blower, but no info to be found (probably could online since everything on the internet is true). All I know from the last month is that once the unit hits full speed (30% for a few minutes, full tilt after that) it sounds like a tornado is about to pop out of the air vent. Didn't notice an airflow difference in either the original MERV 10, temporary 5 or the 11 that is in it now. What we have noticed is that with the MERV 10 that our allergies (we are all allergic to grass pollen to differing degrees, including the dog) and "gunk" in our eyes when we wake up has been noticeably reduced in the past month.

What we have noticed is that with the MERV 10 that our allergies (we are all allergic to grass pollen to differing degrees, including the dog) and "gunk" in our eyes when we wake up has been noticeably reduced in the past month.
It's a trade off, the finer filters eliminate gunk (I'm mildly allergic to 19 of the 24 things I was tested for, including pollens, dust, and mildew) but the finer filters wear the unit out faster.

It's a trade off, the finer filters eliminate gunk (I'm mildly allergic to 19 of the 24 things I was tested for, including pollens, dust, and mildew) but the finer filters wear the unit out faster.
From what I heard from the installer, I'll be fortunate to get 15 years out of this one (sort of like appliances these days verses the "old" days). Last one made it just shy of 29 years. Not too worried about the indoor blower for sure...

Edit: Heck, more I think of it, if I make it 15 more years before I pass from this planet, I'll be older than any male in my family has made it, on either my Dad's or Mom's side, other than my great uncle who was my grandma's brother, I think he got to 83.

From what I heard from the installer, I'll be fortunate to get 15 years out of this one (sort of like appliances these days verses the "old" days). Last one made it just shy of 29 years. Not too worried about the indoor blower for sure...
I'm told 10 years is doing good. We've had 2 board failures on our HVAC (1.5 years old) and it's a reliable brand. Parts are under warranty, the labor is not.

Most HVAC are made in China.

Edit: Heck, more I think of it, if I make it 15 more years before I pass from this planet, I'll be older than any male in my family has made it, on either my Dad's or Mom's side, other than my great uncle who was my grandma's brother, I think he got to 83.
Men in my family die in their 50's or 80's. If I can make 10 months, I'm good for 20 more!!!! 😆

I'm told 10 years is doing good. We've had 2 board failures on our HVAC (1.5 years old) and it's a reliable brand. Parts are under warranty, the labor is not.

Most HVAC are made in China.

Men in my family die in their 50's or 80's. If I can make 10 months, I'm good for 20 more!!!! 😆
If I can make it 11 more weeks, on your families schedule, I'm good for 20 more as well!

Racked a Merlot and Bordeaux, then started a second run with the skins from both. Started a mojito wine too. Need to check the bees and tend to the garden but it’s just a bit warm for all that. Maybe later when it cools down a little. Thanks Craig for the info on the lantern flies, I wonder if stylet oil would do the same thing.

Racked my spring crop of Chilean Cab Franc and it’s offshoot rosè and Piquette. Did a lot of carboy and equipment washing outside in my backyard with the hose. Hot day here so it was a fun way to cool off a bit and get some water on my dry grass.

Deer fence.

Probably about 5 hours into it today, just to make a plan and dig in the posts. Should have it pretty well wrapped up tomorrow.

IMG_20220724_151157.jpg
I'm going to do an 8 ft gate for tractor access between the 2 larger posts, and something decorative on top.
IMG_20220724_151213.jpg
I'm trying to keep it simple and clean looking. 4 ft of fence wire, and the top rail at 6 ft to really make them work for it.

Deer fence.
Looks nice! How much area are you fencing? I’m looking at doing about 3/4 acre encompassing the whole back yard/garden and vineyard.

I was going to go with 2x4 mesh on the bottom and high tensile spaced a foot apart to 7 or 8 feet. With the vineyard I’m told turkeys and raccoons will be a problem so I’m covering my bases there.

Looks nice!
Thanks. I am doing about 250 linear feet. I was going to do more, but the buggers are walking through. They pulled out a cabbage the other day, and sampled a couple beets.

That's why the little ribbon fence is there, a desperate attempt to buy time. 😄

I was going to do an area for chickens, and leave enough room in case I wanted to add pigs. It would have been about 1/2 an acre. The nice thing about fencing is it's easier to add more, so for now I'm just aiming for speed.
With the vineyard I’m told turkeys and raccoons will be a problem so I’m covering my bases there.

I'm hoping I'm doing the same. I'd be surprised if they're eager enough to jump it. I hope I'm not wrong.

I'm hoping I'm doing the same. I'd be surprised if they're eager enough to jump it. I hope I'm not wrong.
Here I was thinking you were trying to keep them in, let them feed on all the veges, then harvest a few well fed ones in the fall for steaks and sausage meat...lol. I'm waiting for some caribou from my oldest Son in Alaska. I guess he qualifies to get a license this year.

Wondering if it tastes like chicken...

Thanks. I am doing about 250 linear feet. I was going to do more, but the buggers are walking through. They pulled out a cabbage the other day, and sampled a couple beets.

That's why the little ribbon fence is there, a desperate attempt to buy time. 😄

I was going to do an area for chickens, and leave enough room in case I wanted to add pigs. It would have been about 1/2 an acre. The nice thing about fencing is it's easier to add more, so for now I'm just aiming for speed.

I don’t see turkeys wanting to fly into a relatively small enclosure. If they do make sure they know there is a price to pay! At least they only feed during the day. As for raccoons, two electric wires low on the outside of the fence will dissuade them from climbing it ⚡⚡⚡

Deer fence.

Probably about 5 hours into it today, just to make a plan and dig in the posts. Should have it pretty well wrapped up tomorrow.

View attachment 90960
I'm going to do an 8 ft gate for tractor access between the 2 larger posts, and something decorative on top.
View attachment 90961
I'm trying to keep it simple and clean looking. 4 ft of fence wire, and the top rail at 6 ft to really make them work for it.
Traditional deer fencing is 7 feet. They can jump pretty high!

Traditional deer fencing is 7 feet. They can jump pretty high!
There are a lot of factors. Location, enclosure size, other practices, deer habits, etc.

My garden is next to the house and the fenced area is about 40x100 (5- foot plastic mesh). Deer we’re eating everything before I put the fence up and nothing since. I also sprayed deer repellent on the fence and kept a light on it the first year.

There are a lot of factors. Location, enclosure size, other practices, deer habits, etc.

My garden is next to the house and the fenced area is about 40x100 (5- foot plastic mesh). Deer we’re eating everything before I put the fence up and nothing since. I also sprayed deer repellent on the fence and kept a light on it the first year.
I had to put a fence around my garden to keep the deer and other critters out. But for the rest of the yard I've had good luck with the Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent.

Latest posts

Back