What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I’m helping dad cook maple syrup

3A9C1C59-81E3-46FA-B338-DBE570C4DDBA.jpeg
Like winemaking, syrup making can be as primitive or sophisticated as you want to make it. Dad leans towards the primitive. Wood fired and God help all the little critters that fall in the batch. We joke that’s where all the flavor comes from anyways. And I swear you can taste the difference between wood fired and reverse osmosis then propane fired like commercial producers use.

Last edited:
Drove home from N Myrtle Beach, went grocery shopping, then racked Chocolate/Raspberry Port and Elderberry. Managed to completely munge the last bit of elderberry, so I poured it into a 4 liter jug and a beer bottle. These will go in the fridge to clear. The 4 liter has been setting for 20 minutes and the top 2" are starting to clear.

The green demijohn visible to the left is pretty. The jug, not so much .....

2022-elderberry-sludge.jpg

Today I’m helping dad cook maple syrup

View attachment 86154
Like winemaking, syrup making can be as primitive or sophisticated as you want to make it. Dad leans towards the primitive. Wood fired and God help all the little critters that fall in the batch. We joke that’s where all the flavor comes from anyways. And I swear you can taste the difference between wood fired and reverse osmosis then propane fired like commercial producers use.
And boil, and boil and boil, so who gets up at 3am to stoke the fire ?

when I was living at home I did. Dad cooks dawn to 11:00 or so then starts again in the morning. He’s retired so he has nothing but time. When I retire I’ll start cooking at my place.
The house I grew up in was built in 1875, and when my parents purchased it in 1953, it had no ductwork -- only a coal furnace in the cellar. My dad installed an oil furnace and ductwork, that did not cover the entire house. We had a Kerosun in our kitchen, with a 3 gallon teapot full of water on top, that provided humidity. Without it, the air was very dry.

When sap was running my dad tapped a tree or two, and kept the teapot full of sap, until it got thick. He boiled the last hour on the stove. We didn't make a lot of syrup, maybe a gallon or two a year, but after they sold that place and stopped making syrup, it took 12 years to use it all up.

. . . . and @mainshipfred has made some knock your sox off peach wine, , , WOW!
E387723B-1967-4A01-A503-46E488E69426.jpeg

I recently received a notice a peach farmer near Gettysburg has an over abundance of peaches and are selling them for $5.00 a basket of 25-28 lbs. I put an order in for 12 baskets. I never made that much before but I also can't seem to ever make too much peach.

Not today, yesterday I bit the bullet and ordered my spring grapes. I was debating whether to get them or not but I missed last year. It's nice they opened a location 90 minutes away, their other location was 3 hours easy and probably $30.00 in tolls. Ordered 10 half lugs of Chilean Cab Sauv and 8 Pinot Noir.

Not today, yesterday I bit the bullet and ordered my spring grapes. I was debating whether to get them or not but I missed last year. It's nice they opened a location 90 minutes away, their other location was 3 hours easy and probably $30.00 in tolls. Ordered 10 half lugs of Chilean Cab Sauv and 8 Pinot Noir.

You referring to Gino's Fred? Heck, I drove by there today - we were in Williamsburg.

Richmond? I was going to order juice last fall, but timing was messed up.

Just North of Richmond, Ashland VA. If you want to order you may have to call today 609-561-8199.

Attached are the price lists.

Attachments

• 2022 CHILEAN HOME WINEMAKING PRICE LIST.pdf
    131.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 2022 SOUTH AFRICAN HOME WINEMAKING.pdf
    139 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back