What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's nuts! :db
I hope so!

They have a few on them already. I grew them in pots from 18" air-layerd plants I got almost 3 years ago. The squirrels dont seem to touch them, I think they are too hard for them. If you have ever seen them in the shell, you'll know why. They are bulletproof. A standard nutcracker wont open them. You need a hammer, a vice, large vice-grips, or a grape crusher type device made out of cast iron. The shell is a bit over 1/8th thick and hard as a rock and perfectly round.

I hope so!

They have a few on them already. I grew them in pots from 18" air-layerd plants I got almost 3 years ago. The squirrels dont seem to touch them, I think they are too hard for them. If you have ever seen them in the shell, you'll know why. They are bulletproof. A standard nutcracker wont open them. You need a hammer, a vice, large vice-grips, or a grape crusher type device made out of cast iron. The shell is a bit over 1/8th thick and hard as a rock and perfectly round.
Actually squirrels do chew right through them.
just got this when I broke my other hand screw vise type cracker. Works great
6364A73A-17F0-46EE-A65D-09B385DE23DA.jpeg62A7AF04-FB66-449A-AA57-7256FA1D70C9.png

I replaced our mailbox and post after 27 years of service! Both took a lot of abuse -- less than a month after moving in (we were the first house in the subdivision), a service truck backed into our mailbox, which was a Rubbermaid wide box. It broke the hinge, which I repaired using a screw and the lid from a soup can. The post was pretty badly crunched a few times, and I used exterior grade glue, C-clamps, and long screws to put it back together.

A few weeks back the Mrs & I realized the mailbox and post badly needed replacement, so we bought new and stained the post. Today was the transition.

mailbox.jpg

The Mrs was surprised at how quickly I put the new post in -- the hole was already there. That was easy!

Screwing in 4 screws inside the box? Not so much. That took more effort than everything else put together, due to lack of leverage. This handy tool, a rachet screwdriver, made things possible! I visualize using a short screwdriver and shudder .....

screwdriver.jpg

Were you able to place an order?
I didn't try. I have 2 FWK arriving today, and don't have room for more. I may save room for Pinotage next year -- I've made kits that came out really good, and would like to try grapes.

For next fall, I'm keeping my options open. The local purchasing group has limited options, as we get a single order that appears to be based around Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, so we get what's available at that time. Last year the season was unusual and we had access to additional grapes, including Grenache and Italian varietals -- all of which Gino Pinto sells. If the same happens this year, great. If not, I'm considering purchasing mostly through the local group, but picking up a few spare lugs from GP.

There's also juice -- in the past we had to group purchase 50 gallon barrels, which has the drawback that if there aren't enough people to split the barrel, we don't get it. This last fall limited juice buckets were available, which was nice. GP has a larger selection, including Verdicchio, which I made as a kit. If I do nothing else, I'm likely to pick up a few white buckets.

I didn't try. I have 2 FWK arriving today, and don't have room for more. I may save room for Pinotage next year -- I've made kits that came out really good, and would like to try grapes.

For next fall, I'm keeping my options open. The local purchasing group has limited options, as we get a single order that appears to be based around Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, so we get what's available at that time. Last year the season was unusual and we had access to additional grapes, including Grenache and Italian varietals -- all of which Gino Pinto sells. If the same happens this year, great. If not, I'm considering purchasing mostly through the local group, but picking up a few spare lugs from GP.

There's also juice -- in the past we had to group purchase 50 gallon barrels, which has the drawback that if there aren't enough people to split the barrel, we don't get it. This last fall limited juice buckets were available, which was nice. GP has a larger selection, including Verdicchio, which I made as a kit. If I do nothing else, I'm likely to pick up a few white buckets.

I was hoping you did, it would have given us a chance to meet

Today is concrete forming day, going to pour a new pad for parking the farm equipment that will eventually get covered. Lots of rebar that has to get tied, I can't do a regular slab with mesh, the backhoe and tractor is too heavy.... Which means I'll be bent over half the day so tomorrow is REALLY going to suck. God I was I was 35 again...

Today is concrete forming day, going to pour a new pad for parking the farm equipment that will eventually get covered. Lots of rebar that has to get tied, I can't do a regular slab with mesh, the backhoe and tractor is too heavy.... Which means I'll be bent over half the day so tomorrow is REALLY going to suck. God I was I was 35 again...
I wish I was 50 again
1649597055801.gif

I replaced our mailbox and post after 27 years of service! Both took a lot of abuse -- less than a month after moving in (we were the first house in the subdivision), a service truck backed into our mailbox, which was a Rubbermaid wide box. It broke the hinge, which I repaired using a screw and the lid from a soup can. The post was pretty badly crunched a few times, and I used exterior grade glue, C-clamps, and long screws to put it back together.

A few weeks back the Mrs & I realized the mailbox and post badly needed replacement, so we bought new and stained the post. Today was the transition.

View attachment 86807

The Mrs was surprised at how quickly I put the new post in -- the hole was already there. That was easy!

Screwing in 4 screws inside the box? Not so much. That took more effort than everything else put together, due to lack of leverage. This handy tool, a rachet screwdriver, made things possible! I visualize using a short screwdriver and shudder .....

View attachment 86808

Looks nice! Ours is in need of some TLC and I'm thinking of replacing with powder coated aluminum or the Trex-like stuff so I never have to worry about it again.

Looks nice! Ours is in need of some TLC and I'm thinking of replacing with powder coated aluminum or the Trex-like stuff so I never have to worry about it again.
At least down here i don’t have to worry about the snow plow taking it down.
happened 3 times in NY. And one time on the way back down the road he ran right over it.

theres a guy on Sanibel who has a 4 ft tall flamingo mailbox. He wouldn’t sell it.

We got 27 years out of the first one ... I'm not worried about replacing this one! ;)

I don't expect this one to last the way the Rubbermaid did. It's beat looking (spend 27 years in the NC summer sun and no one will look all that good!), but still is fully functional.

mailbox 2.jpg

The rough looking edges are actually yellow pine pollen. :p

Getting some more replacement parts for the aging bod. I had my #6 (Canine, upper right) pulled today in preparation for an implant. It was resorbing and broke up when the dentist tried to remove it. Some extra drilling and pulling and the little guy gave up the ghost. I have a temporary tooth (called a "Sunday" tooth, because one only wears it to church). I have to wait 8 weeks into early June for the bone to become more receptive to the implant. Amazing what you can still get for $6000 these days.

And, hey, I didn't even cry!

Latest posts

Back