What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting some more replacement parts for the aging bod. I had my #6 (Canine, upper right) pulled today in preparation for an implant. It was resorbing and broke up when the dentist tried to remove it. Some extra drilling and pulling and the little guy gave up the ghost. I have a temporary tooth (called a "Sunday" tooth, because one only wears it to church). I have to wait 8 weeks into early June for the bone to become more receptive to the implant. Amazing what you can still get for $6000 these days.

And, hey, I didn't even cry!
So what flavor lollipop did they give you ? :D

So what flavor lollipop did they give you ? :D
Darrell, what was even more amusing today was that while he was banging away, drilling and tugging on the tooth, I was actually trying to suppress a laugh. My mind had run to another incident I had with a dentist and was having a tooth filled. In that instance, while the dentist was working, the dental assistant said, "Oops!" and that cracked me up. I started to laugh because I thought to myself, 'That is the last thing one wants to hear when undergoing a medical procedure.'

Getting some more replacement parts for the aging bod. I had my #6 (Canine, upper right) pulled today in preparation for an implant. It was resorbing and broke up when the dentist tried to remove it. Some extra drilling and pulling and the little guy gave up the ghost. I have a temporary tooth (called a "Sunday" tooth, because one only wears it to church). I have to wait 8 weeks into early June for the bone to become more receptive to the implant. Amazing what you can still get for $6000 these days.

Sounds like a real fun experience!! ;)

We did most of the family Easter stuff yesterday so I got some workshop time today. I finished up a rafter pair and needed to see if they fit so my son-in-law and a few others came over and we laid out two top plates to see if they fit. I was very relieved that they did… only six more rafter pairs and five floor joists to go.933E0E31-1AB4-4951-AC46-ED19C47B5413.jpeg

6B472E56-DE83-48A1-9051-9F9480834091.jpegF001FEC1-6F96-477A-A5AD-9CB3FB42287F.jpeg2D744E84-8AC2-4796-A072-811DF31751C9.jpeg
I’ve been working on a riding arena for my wife over the last 2-3 months. Today I set the last RR tie and drove the last rebar pin. ~100 ties all in many being cut to form the radiused corners. Trying to change the existing 6% slope to 1-2%. Next phase is to finish the grading, removing the topsoil and preparing to import the base, topping and sand. The end is finally in site.

Last edited:
Cleaning up after bottling about 320 bottles yesterday with my son and 2 friends from Pittsburgh. Close to 3 times more than I ever bottled at one time. Thanks @Boatboy24 for loaning me your AIO. The second pump made it go a lot faster. Still have about the same amount of 2020s to go but they aren't blended yet.

1650810862064.jpeg
Yesterday, we spent a beautiful day at Wrigley Field. They snapped a losing streak and beat the Pirates 21-0. Apparently that was the most runs scored in franchise history (since 1900-ish). Maybe you can tell from the photo that we were in the 3rd deck seating, but from there we could see Lake Michigan in the background. Win or lose, for us, any game at Wrigley is just a blast!

nothing like family - beautiful!
how was your brisket?
i think i see a pic on the wall when the Blues won the Cup?

Certainly nothing better than family.

Picture on wall is from when the Blues won the cup. One of my son-in-law is a policeman in St. Louis, he used to do security for the Blues on the side, so it's signed by several of the players. On the opposite wall is a picture of where the Blues played for years, called the Arena.

The brisket was wonderful. I didn't get a picture of it all cut up. Simple rub of salt and pepper. Smoked at 240F and in one of the fastest smokes for a 14 pound brisket, I started it at 8am and it hit internal of 205F at 2pm. It was one of the best brisket I have ever done.

Yesterday the Verde Valley Wine festival was held for the first time in Cottonwood AZ. We went down around 1:00 and it was packed. It was held in a small park downtown and I believe they underestimated the crowd turnout. I couldn't even begin to guess at how many people attended but it definitely needs to move to a bigger park. It only ran from 12 to 5 and maybe running it later into the evening would help because of heat and lack of shade. Enough constructive criticism comments, we tasted wines from 5 of the local wineries, bought a couple of bottles that also included a complimentary 5 flight tasting at Oak Creek Winery and nice ball cap for Lori. We ran into our neighbor Scott and hung out and tried to stay cool for a bit before leaving after only a couple of hours.
I'm thinking next year going again but springing for the VIP passes that give you a total of 10 vs 8 tastings, gets you in an hour before general admission and access to a large tent with tables and chairs that would really make it more enjoyable.
WineBought.jpgWineFestLoriScott.jpgwineLogo.jpgWineFestCrowd.jpg

Made the 3 hour drive up from LA yesterday and stopped for quick bite of lunch in that other Los Alamos town. LOL Then it was straight to SLO for the first winery Spring allocation pickup at Tolosa. They produce mostly high end Pinot's and Chard's. Last Fall our server told us his step daughter actually lives in "our" Los Alamos and her and her husband run the local bike shop in town so that was a crazy coincidence. We had an amazing 2 hour tasting. "Mike" our server from last Fall waited on us again this time and he pulled out all the stops for us pouring lots of things not on the regular tasting menu as well as several wines from their sister winery "Perinet" which is located in Priorat region of Spain. We were comped a nice charcuterie board by the winery/server and in exchange we easily brought home not only our Spring allocation but also a few bottles of Pinot from Carneros (Napa) as well as some Perinet Grenache......... All in all a fantastic afternoon. After that we drove up to Paso and checked into our hotel and then hit one of our favorite tap rooms. Firestone Walker for a bite to eat before calling it a day.

1651588763761.png

1651588671149.jpeg

1651588701166.png

1651588913349.png

1651588887996.jpeg

1651589077635.png

1651589195384.png

Made the 3 hour drive up from LA yesterday and stopped for quick bite of lunch in that other Los Alamos town. LOL Then it was straight to SLO for the first winery Spring allocation pickup at Tolosa. They produce mostly high end Pinot's and Chard's. Last Fall our server told us his step daughter actually lives in "our" Los Alamos and her and her husband run the local bike shop in town so that was a crazy coincidence. We had an amazing 2 hour tasting. "Mike" our server from last Fall waited on us again this time and he pulled out all the stops for us pouring lots of things not on the regular tasting menu as well as several wines from their sister winery "Perinet" which is located in Priorat region of Spain. We were comped a nice charcuterie board by the winery/server and in exchange we easily brought home not only our Spring allocation but also a few bottles of Pinot from Carneros (Napa) as well as some Perinet Grenache......... All in all a fantastic afternoon. After that we drove up to Paso and checked into our hotel and then hit one of our favorite tap rooms. Firestone Walker for a bite to eat before calling it a day.

Looks like beautiful weather too. We're heading west to the SG valley tomorrow, Covina to be exact, for a couple of days then blasting back on the 40 Sunday morn.
Do you make it in one day or two usually?

Heading back to the "old stomping grounds" eh?

We usually are like a horse headed to the barn as they say both ways due to the fact that we have 2 dogs that require care and feeding while we are gone. One of these days we would love to coordinate a meet and greet with you guys and tour the Verde Valley. Still look at houses in the Prescott Valley region on Zillow with thoughts of moving closer to the kids and grandkids perhaps one day but for now just being a bit of a "lookey lou" at the area. I really like our place and its hard to think about moving my cellar at some point down the road. But guess it could be done if need be.

We made the "California trip" this time in one day, 13 hours even door to door. 882 miles. :db

Looks like beautiful weather too. We're heading west to the SG valley tomorrow, Covina to be exact, for a couple of days then blasting back on the 40 Sunday morn.
Do you make it in one day or two usually?

Day 2 of our semiannual "Tour de Paso" and as usual the words "I think were gonna need a bigger boat" come to mind..... As well as "these wines are all so good........"

1st stop, Turtle Rock in Tin City. The winemaker is the assistant winemaker for Saxum and he sources his grapes from the same Estate vineyards......... Saxum wait list currently averages 8 years.

1651675404506.jpeg

1651675385299.jpeg

1651675435785.jpeg

Next up was Denner. Tasted here last Fall and were gobsmacked. Brought our BFF's this time and they were as well. Not a dud in the tasting flight.

1651675759240.png

1651675956577.png

1651675671824.jpeg

1651675711052.jpeg

1651676057134.jpeg

1651676103721.jpeg

Last up for the day was a new winery Epoch (pronounced Epic). They took over a 100+ year old winery (York Mountain Winery) and completely remodeled the old winery turning it into a new and beautiful tasting room but kept much of the old look and feel. These wines are HUGE. Built for long term aging for sure. Picked up my Spring allocation and a couple other bottles including.......... A growler of Grenache! We can bring it back and refill it for ~$20 a bottle. I plan on taking it home and transferring it to regular wine bottles and corking it to keep it minty fresh!

1651676708541.png

1651676724185.jpeg

1651676752349.jpeg

1651676780109.jpeg

1651676809556.jpeg

1651676821267.jpeg

1651676842749.jpeg

1651677117561.jpeg

Thanks Mike!

I think we will have ~4 cases total in back of the CRV this trip. Only half that is ours! LOL Our BFF's flew in/out of BUR otherwise it would be a tight squeeze with suitcases as well.

We can average close to 35MPG in the CRV at highway speeds. Paid $4.56/gal at Costco the other day and $5.49/gal in Paso. Over $6 at many places.........

That's a seriously beautiful group of wineries. Are you towing a trailer to get that haul home with?

Back