What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting in a hotel room in Topeka KS today. Drove 557 miles Friday, Cottonwood to Tucumcari NM. Drove 556 miles Saturday to Topeka. Lori and I were driving two cars, our F150 and a used CRV we're taking to Eau Clair to give to our daughter. As we pulled into the hotel Sat night the CRV started smelling like burnt rubber and the AC quit. We restarted it after checking in and it broke and threw the Serpentine belt, I'm assuming the compressor froze or broke and destroyed the belt. Either way, can't find an open shop till Monday so getting a day of rest instead of driving.

Had some KC BBQ yesterday and looking for a good steakhouse for an early dinner tonight. Plenty of wine and beer on ice. Looks like our WI visit will be cut a few days short, not going to make it down to @sourgrapes neck of the woods but still on line for Santa Fe NM for a night on the way home next Sunday.

Might be inconvenient and a bit expensive but we couldn't have been any luckier to have it happen where it did. Hopefully back on the road real early Tue. Morn.

Picking blueberries twice a day since this past Saturday. Once around 10am and again at 6pm. It's amazing how fast they ripen in less then a day!
We have 6 blueberry bushes that are 12 years old. In the colander is 5.5 lbs. That was just from this morning. We'll pick another 5 lbs this evening.
I cut them down to 4' every other year. This year after they are finished with the berries, I'll cut them back to 4' and remove any dead branches. In early January I remove old branches from the middle of the bush.20210525_143429_06.jpg20210525_143423.jpg20210525_143356.jpg20210525_143353.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Today was press day! I bought a few buckets of grapes from eastern WA on a group buy fron Wine Grapes Direct. I got a bucket of 2020 Rattlesnake Hills Cab Franc, a bucket of 2019 Rattlesnake Hills Cab Sauv, and a 2020 Walla Walla Valley Merlot. I just cofermented them with BDX, nothing fancy. Yield is about 10 gallons.

IMG_1881.JPGIMG_1880.JPGIMG_1883.JPG

Sorry to hear of your troubles, MIke. Please let me know if it turns out that I can help you at all!
Thanks Paul, appreciate the offer, we made it home in one piece. My lucky star was shining and we found a repair shop across the street on monday morn. Didn't even have to have the car towed. The mechanic had us on the road in less than 7 hours monday. Our daughter loves the car. I managed to strain some back muscles tuesday, and while it basically made me an invalid, I could still drive once strapped in. Note to self, start listening and accepting when the wife offers help lifting heavy, awkward objects. The scenery was beautiful and we're planning on revisiting Colorado monuments park, Arches, Moab and monument valley in Utah and the north rim grand canyon in the fall when I can photograph them. This is outside of Moab, shot from my driver side window since getting out of the car was such a painful and slow effort.
moab rocks.jpg

After three unusually cold and wet days, the sun has come out. At 8:30am it was already warmer than it's been since Thursday. Light, puffy clouds in the sky and the cicadas are on the prowl and as loud as ever. A baseball tourney (on turf fields) has kept us busy, but that's over; so I'll throw some ribs on.

I actually traveled yesterday! Only second time in over a year, I think. I am visiting my in-laws. (You will all be relieved to unerstand that this means I may not be posting as freqently!)

We brought the nice weather east with us, @Boatboy24 :)

You're in the Philly area? Any cicadas up there?

Made a Costco run today. Lets just say I am in meat price shock! The whole Prime Briskets are now up to $5lb!

Some other meat shots for sh!ts and giggles. Glad I am heavily stocked up in the freezer on meat these days.

1623275725725.jpeg

1623275738906.jpeg

1623275757477.jpeg

Latest posts

Back