What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck Jim!

Thanks. Rough night. Tie game after two innings, then our guys just fell apart on both sides of the ball. Wet and miserable too, with Elsa starting to roll through. Good news is it's double elimination and the team we play at noon tomorrow we've beaten very handily before. Hopefully, that means we beat them again, then we're playing again tomorrow night.

Double "E" is the best. Go get them tomorrow!

Thanks. Rough night. Tie game after two innings, then our guys just fell apart on both sides of the ball. Wet and miserable too, with Elsa starting to roll through. Good news is it's double elimination and the team we play at noon tomorrow we've beaten very handily before. Hopefully, that means we beat them again, then we're playing again tomorrow night.

Hang in there. When my son was in Junior College, they lost a game each year but still ended up winning the Junior college World Series in Batavia, NY both years. Always great to have double elimination tournament.

Where are they playing?

My next-door neighbor threw away his Weber Performer grill because the bottom vents rusted out. I told him you can replace them, but too late, so he gave me the grill. I bought two vent repair kits, put his grill next to my Performer, and put the best parts of both of them together. I also replaced my vents at the same time, as they were a bit marginal. I kept the best of the frankengrills, and will put the other one on Craigslist.

Here is the cast-off version:

IMG_2142.JPG

Clearing a strawberry, Raspberry lime Marmalade wine. Running a bit in the still 🤫.
Clearing a cider.
Then started 15L German Tarwebier.
A strawberry country wine kit (out of date)
Cavernet Sauvignon kit (also out of date)
And Festivals premium ale kit, the landlords finest. If you have never done this kit then do.... Its amazing. I haven't ever had a beer that good. Its expensive but worth every penny and some.
Worth buying even if for nothing else than copying it... It that good. The last batch I did I drank it flat befor even racking it. This time I'm going to hold off 😅.
That's it. Its taken me all day16259540350264401493832049595916.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are they playing?

Sorry Fred - I was reading too fast and just realized you asked WHERE and not WHEN. We were in Herndon. We won our first 'win or go home' game in epic fashion. Came from behind to tie it three times in a game that lasted almost four hours. Finally finished it by stealing home on a wild pitch. The kids had a whopping 20 minutes to rest, then had to play in the semi-finals. Another great battle, but sadly we were on the wrong side, losing by 1 run in the end. Kids played their hearts out and despite the loss, all had a blast. Can't complain going to the semis for the state. Long day, but one that will not be soon forgotten. We'll go and watch the championship tomorrow at noon and cheer on the team that beat us. In the meantime, I suspect we'll sleep well tonight.

Yesterday I helped a friend diagnose a drain problem -- a drain in a patio area between his house & garage is backing up and overflowing in heavy rain. The drain hose is roughly 20' long and drains below a small wall. We tried blasting out what seemed like an obstruction with a power washer, but the drain line curves so there's a limit to how far we can reach. So we filled the drain with water to see if the blockage is total. The drain filled up then the level dropped relatively quickly ... but no water came out the other end. He's contacting the developer of the subdivision to see if he can get assistance, as we've exceeded our ability to figure this out without getting out a shovel and digging ... he's a good friend, but not THAT good of a friend, so no shovels for me! 😄

On a sadder note, this morning I decommissioned our cat perch, e.g., tore it apart for disposal.

We adopted a pair of kittens in 2006. My wife & kids wanted to purchase a very expensive cat perch. I chose Plan B:

A few miles away a builder had established a deposit area -- he dropped off building materials that were in reasonable shape for home owners to take. It's much better than throwing this stuff in the land fill! I picked up a lot of materials, including partial sheets of 3/4" chipboard, 2x4's, 2x6's, 1x6's, and a 4x4. All the boards had damage on one end and/or nails sticking out, but there was enough good wood for a lot of uses. I still have a 3/4 sheet of chipboard sheathing plus other boards that I haven't needed (yet).

I built a 4-level perch around the 4x4, costing a total of $15 for cloth and padding to put on the flats. This perch has been in front of a window for 15 years, as the cats liked looking out.. Sadly, our male died in January and the female isn't climbing well, and the perch has gotten rickety with daily use, so today was decommissioning day.

Sorry Fred - I was reading too fast and just realized you asked WHERE and not WHEN. We were in Herndon. We won our first 'win or go home' game in epic fashion. Came from behind to tie it three times in a game that lasted almost four hours. Finally finished it by stealing home on a wild pitch. The kids had a whopping 20 minutes to rest, then had to play in the semi-finals. Another great battle, but sadly we were on the wrong side, losing by 1 run in the end. Kids played their hearts out and despite the loss, all had a blast. Can't complain going to the semis for the state. Long day, but one that will not be soon forgotten. We'll go and watch the championship tomorrow at noon and cheer on the team that beat us. In the meantime, I suspect we'll sleep well tonight.
Those memories last a lifetime. My son and I still reminisce about specific plays and game situations from 25 years ago.

My next-door neighbor threw away his Weber Performer grill because the bottom vents rusted out. I told him you can replace them, but too late, so he gave me the grill. I bought two vent repair kits, put his grill next to my Performer, and put the best parts of both of them together. I also replaced my vents at the same time, as they were a bit marginal. I kept the best of the frankengrills, and will put the other one on Craigslist.

Here is the cast-off version:

View attachment 76366

My wife reminded me that we are planning to have a retirement party some day, and that I should not get rid of the 2nd grill before then! 🍔🥩🍗 :slp

Last edited:
Back