What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always seems like I'm taking pictures of my wife working...becoming a common theme here.

Last Summer she stripped the paint from an old dresser than friends gave us. Then she didn't have me move it into the garage, so I figured she was trying to weather it a bit. Today she asked if I had a sander with medium and fine papers, which I did. Then she went to work. She says her arms are still vibrating, so I'm thinking of trying to take advantage of that later this evening.

For a cheap piece of furniture, it cleaned up pretty well. Now time for me to find a stain that matches my Son's bed. I'll get a dark one and we'll do it on the back or something. You never know how it will look until you try some. Not even sure what type of wood this dresser is made of.

5-2-20_cabinet-1.jpg5-2-20_cabinet-2.jpg

Each of those crates hold 25 bottles. Each barrel provides 28-29 bottles, typically. I hold what doesn’t fit into a crate out and store them differently and I crack one open every little bit as tasters. Here’s a picture of my “cellar”. The newly bottled get stored on the bottom and I cycle everything up a rung as new is added. Once it’s on shelf #4, it’s ready for full consumption. But honestly, I pull from shelf #3 occasionally too. I need to restock my rack on the right and, pulled the wine to go there but I was too tired yesterday to do that.

View attachment 60645
Where do you pick up your crates(online or at a store) ?

@Darrell Hawley To answer your question, it's both. I get them at HomeDepot (approximately $12 each) and they are typically shipped to/picked up the store for free. Meaning, they don't have them in stock at my store. Others I have gotten on Amazon for roughly the same price.

For me, it's a great storage solution as I don't have a ton of space to work with presently. When I'm able to increase my storage, I'll continue using the rectangular milk crates.

All ready for church...Communion Sunday!
My wife and I attend (virtually) a UMC and only celebrate communion once a month (used to do it every week in the Episcopal church where I grew up). Last month we almost broke out the wine but ended up using the tea and coffee we were drinking. I like the tortilla chips, that's a nice touch!

Finally got at least one shallow pass on one of the garden plots today. Usually I would have had it tilled a month ago and the peas would be climbing up some pea brush, but it has been really wet this Spring. Guess it is better than being too dry. One perk of "working so much" from home is that I get time to break off and do small projects. I still have to clean the clods of dirt off the rototiller wheels, which usually tells me it was still just a bit too wet. But with a few days of rain coming up, I took my chances. I'll do a few deeper passes, maybe at the end of next week after a few days of sunshine, depending on the extent of the rains coming.

5-5-20_garden_tilled.jpg

Started a frame up restoration of my 2004 AOG gas grill. 😄 In 2005, picking up some printing negs at a small business, I saw a going out of business sale at a fireplace and BBQ store. I went in and asked where are your BBQ's and the guy said there it is. He just had one 36" Stainless AOG grill and wanted 750.00 for it. At the time Lori and I hadn't been together long, we were working at paying off the debts of our previous marriages so I left empty handed. On the way home I called her and told her how cool this grill was but didn't buy it and she said, you want it, turn around and go get it now. It's been used and abused relentlessly for 15 years. It's shown it age but still cooks great. Fast Forward to now. I have natural gas already piped to the deck and started looking at kits to convert the grill from propane. I also, for giggles, I thought maybe I'll just buy a new one and looked them up (I've never even thought about what they might cost before now). The replacement for this model - still being made as is - is around 3,800.00. The replacement Spark generators, gas orifices, hoses and regulator all came to about 160.00 so it's a no brainer. Especially considering that everything on this is stainless steel, from the base to the firebox to the burners, deflectors and grates are still solid and can be polished back to almost new looking. As I've said about many project - I've got more time than money - so I've got a new project. I'll be sure to take some pics once it's updated, cleaned, assembled and up on the deck in time for summer. It gets used as an outdoor oven a lot during the summer.AOGbody.jpgAOGparts.jpgs on
Mike

Love it, Mike! I've got a parts list together for my 2013 Genesis that I'm going to update once I'm back to working again. When you buy quality, you only cry once!

Someone was selling (4) 3-gal, (1) 5-gal and (1) 6-gal carboys for $50, but it was 102 miles away from Green Bay, Wi. Wife says it would be a nice trip and we need to finally get out. So off we went and they also gave us rhubarb that she picked as I loaded up the carboys. Cutting up the rhubarb and strawberries now for a nice pie for mothers day. It will be a nice day to stay indoors ( high of 45, windy and 60% of snow). Spring should be just around the corner somewhere.

BBQ is cleaned up and just waiting on my parts to come in. Didn't get quite back to brand new but fairly close, adding about 20 dollars in cleaners and a 30 pack of beer I'd say I'll have 200.00 total invested plus 3 days of labor. Not like I could be out doing anything else anyway.
AOGinside.jpgAOGoutside.jpg
Time to clean the deck and start planning a menu!
Mike

BBQ is cleaned up and just waiting on my parts to come in. Didn't get quite back to brand new but fairly close, adding about 20 dollars in cleaners and a 30 pack of beer I'd say I'll have 200.00 total invested plus 3 days of labor. Not like I could be out doing anything else anyway.
View attachment 61042View attachment 61043
Mike

Wish mine looked that good, both the grille and the deck

View attachment 61042View attachment 61043
Mike
Good job, I would have swore it would take 2 full 24pk of beer to get that done.

Don't tell anyone, but Mike @Kraffty is a bit frugal... :D

That's like saying Paul is a bit intelligent.....:wy

Awww, pshaw. I try to be self-effacing, but I am not very good at it... 🤣

How about this: They are BOTH incorrect! :)

In all seriousness, I can attest that Mike is very generous. My car bears a vinyl graphic that Mike designed, made, and gave freely to me! Woot!

Back