What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I found the most impressive was that she held her own way back then in a completely male dominated industry. At every turn of her career she never let anyone call the shots but her. When she started putting out all the different genre's of music (Nelson Riddle Orchestra, Spanish Cancionnes etc) her record label threatened to drop her and said this won't sell....... Then of course when album after album went Platinum they were all acting like it was their idea to begin with......

I didn't see the Linda Ronstadt documentary but the history of the Eagles I could watch over and over.

Was going to bottle Riesling today, but sucked up too much of the lees when transferring out of the carboy. :(So clean out the carboy, rack back into it and try again Monday or Tuesday.

Been there, done that. Look on the bright side - you get to spend more time with your wine. :)

Going to clean, tune up and lube the C/D and presses to get ready for the S. African coming in a couple weeks.
Have about 5 cases of bottles soaking to de-label, sanitize, sort and put back in cases.
Make sulfite adjustments to the barrels that were tested last week.

Sure is nice to have a time consuming hobby when there is nothing else to do.

The ribs just didn't turn out. Kept a pretty consistent 250* fire for 4 hours. I must have had the thick end too close and burnt this side while the middle and small end never got done. 170 meat temp at the thick end and 140 middle and end. Put them in the oven and they seemed to get done. Would anyone think less of me if I bought a pellet smoker, the stick smoker is really hard.

The ribs just didn't turn out. Kept a pretty consistent 250* fire for 4 hours. I must have had the thick end too close and burnt this side while the middle and small end never got done. 170 meat temp at the thick end and 140 middle and end. Put them in the oven and they seemed to get done. Would anyone think less of me if I bought a pellet smoker, the stick smoker is really hard.

I certainly wouldn't, I use the heretical electric smoker. I really do like that it keeps a CONSTANT temp just like an oven. Once it gets to temp it is +/- 10 degrees, which is close enough for me. Smoke comes from chunks of wood.

When I'm feeling lazy or the weather isn't that great outside, the ribs get "finished" in the oven. Put 'em on the Primo for 1.5 hours to smoke em hard at 225, then wrap in foil for an oven ride at 250 for 2.5 - 3 hours. Take them out, cut racks into rib pairs, brush sauce on, and back into the oven for 10 minutes. They come out great every time.

Did you wrap at all? Wrapping is essential to get that fall off the bone consistency. You didn't mention if these were baby backs or spare ribs. spare ribs take longer than BB's for sure. Did you spritz? I have an old offset stick burner that I keep around just in case I need to cook for an army but in reality I have not used it in probably 10 years as it leaks air all over the place and I could never keep a consistent temp. I would not waste my money on a pellet smoker. Been looking at them for quite some time and they just seem to be more problem than what they are worth. Moving parts (auger) that break or stick when pellet's get any moisture in them, circuit boards that fry, breakers that trip....... then the meat comes out with little to no smoke flavor, no smoke ring, no bark.

I would go with a Kamado of sorts if you can swing it. Lots of brands out there. The new Louisiana Grill (Pit Boss) available at Costco this year looks excellent. Kamado Joe also excellent but a bit pricey like the Big Green Egg's or El Primo. If you don't want to go that route look at one of the new 26" Weber Kettle grills. Big enough to cook a brisket on one side and fire on the other side.

Last edited:
Did you wrap at all? Wrapping is essential to get that fall off the bone consistency. You didn't mention if these were baby backs or spare ribs. spare ribs take longer than BB's for sure. Did you spritz? I have an old offset stick burner that I keep around just in case I need to cook for an army but in reality I have not used it in probably 10 years as it leaks air all over the place and I could never keep a consistent temp. I would not waste my money on a pellet smoker. Been looking at them for quite some time and they just seem to be more problem than what they are worth. Moving parts (auger) that break or stick when pellet's get any moisture in them, circuit boards that fry, breakers that trip....... then the meat comes out with little to no smoke flavor, no smoke ring, no bark.

I would go with a Kamado of sorts if you can swing it. Lots of brands out there. The new Louisiana Grill (Pit Boss) available at Costco this year looks excellent. Kamado Joe also excellent but a bit pricey like the Big Green Egg's or El Primo. If you don't wan to go that route look at one of the new 26" Weber Kettle grills. Big enough to cook a brisket on one side and fire on the other side.

They were called extra meaty spare ribs. I didn't wrap them until it was too late did spritz along the was though. Yep, mine leaks like a sieve.

Did whole beer can chickens on a 26" kettle works well. Fire on the opposite side. Started in the morning and left it alone all day. Ready to eat at sundown after a day on the lake. :fsh
And whole turkeys on the vertical gas smoker beats staying up all night for the Thanksgiving bird. Small Boston Butt above it to drip its fat down over the bird.

Stick burners are probably the toughest. A pellet pooper is probably simplest. In between would be something like a Kamado or, for a lot less money, a Weber Smoky Mountain. The latter two use charcoal and take very little to learn - almost set it and forget it simplicity.

Woke up to this............

IMG_5258.JPG

Its 32F now with about a 20MPH wind. Just got back from walking the Golden's. Did not see another human being on my walk. Can't imagine why. Tomorrow's low will be in the low 20's more than likely. I hold off pruning as long as I can in hopes things stay dormant as long as possible. Luckily things are still closed up tight with the Marquette just starting to push a bit. No Apricots this year. ☹

Last edited:
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain (18") and I love it. It'll hold a steady temperature for hours with no fussing. I do my ribs at 225 for 6 - 9 hours - the meat temperature has to hit 190 - 205 or they will definitely wind up tough.

Still painting and drawing most days, But I have a couple of customers that want me to do a couple of commercial design projects starting monday. In the mean time, just finished this watercolor today. It's the Mission San Xavier del bac outside of Tucson. Can always use a paying job from time to time.... just not too much of my time.....
Mike
SanXavierFinal4%22.jpg

It's our 35th anniversary today so I'm surprising my wife with a catered dinner from a company that catered a Valentine's dinner we had at a winery. Argentina flank steak with roasted veggies, Arugula salad with peaches, pecans and honey raspberry dressing and a chocoberries cake. She'll probably get made at me since we were supposed to have agreed to not do anything.

Latest posts

Back