What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's our 35th anniversary today so I'm surprising my wife with a catered dinner from a company that catered a Valentine's dinner we had at a winery. Argentina flank steak with roasted veggies, Arugula salad with peaches, pecans and honey raspberry dressing and a chocoberries cake. She'll probably get made at me since we were supposed to have agreed to not do anything.

That sounds delicious, Fred! Happy Anniversary!

What is my wife doing today? She's taking out her frustrations on a ship/fort/play area that someone gave us 15 years ago when their kids got older. It was built by an Amish guy and so well built that it's been a pain to take down. She like many other front line workers, including those in retail, has to deal with selfish people all week long, then come home to me. Not an easy task for sure. She is not one to work in the yard much, but she is enjoying this demolition project immensely. I just keep feeding her a beer every hour or so and she keeps ripping away!

Taken with an old 2002 digital camera with a great zoom feature (Carl Zeiss lens), so she never knew I took the shot (or she would have given me the finger).

4-25-20_wifey-destroying.jpg

Friday will start my 6th week of working from home. I'm kinda enjoying it (the first two weeks I was rather depressed for some reason). I try and take a break on the hour, every hour to stretch my legs and look at something other than a computer screen. Could tell this morning around 5 am it was going to be a nice morning, the birds were singing just a little louder than normal (maybe it was 'cause I cleaned my ears yesterday). The image is my vantage point when I'm taking a break. Coffee and phone go on the Weber grill side table. Hope y'all are finding ways of coping with this ongoing situation. Take a little time to enjoy the hopefully less hectic pace of life.

I think I need to retire.

4-28-20_sunny-morning.jpg

corona lock down is like being retired, I am amazed at the creativity that I see from run of the mill neighbors when they don’t have to produce for a boss
. . . Take a little time to enjoy the hopefully less hectic pace of life. I think I need to retire
It's a good time to be retired, that's for sure. Here's the total of my accomplishments for the last three days.
View attachment 60554
Mike
WOW Mike, that picture makes me dream of being in my 20’s , , ,

Now that my hours have been cut to 20 or less per week, I'll have some time to weed and move a few more perennials. Been making some new beds in the front yard where there used to be a mass of juniper bushes. Once the stumps got removed (a two year process, helps when they are finally dead) I planted some grass and started relocating plants. First picture, other than the lilac on the left, are irises from picture #3 and echinacea (purple coneflower) from the back beds that will soon be grass (too much shade now that the trees have grown). Split a few sedum (also from the back) but should have transplanted them last fall or earlier this Spring). Irises in #2 where moved last year after flowering from picture #3. Gladiolas will pop up right against the foundation and break up the porch railing a bit. Also rescued some day lilies from under the Japanese maple to the left. Mounds of blue fescue are replacing the irises that were moved (atlas spruce starting to shade them too much). Picture #4 is a bit of everything with a perennial purple salvia towards the back of the image (started from seed last year so didn't bloom too much, hoping for more blooms this year). Fun to be home and actually start making the yard look somewhat attractive. Time for some weed and feed this weekend (try to avoid chemicals but the weeds are getting too thick).

5-1-20_yard-1.jpg

5-1-20_yard-2.jpg

5-1-20_yard-3.jpg

5-1-20_yard-4.jpg

Today, I filtered and bottled 150 bottles of wine:

1. Fume Blanc (WE)
2. RJS Italian Valapola
3. RJS RQ3
4. MV Ardente
5. MV Pinot Noir
6. RJS Super Tuscan

I normally use my Buon Vino Jet filler but today I thought I would employ my AIO pump to fill the bottles. Although it took a while to get used to, it was actually faster to use in the long run than the BV.

I pressure washed my barrels and steam cleaned them with my new steamer. Pretty slick.

It was a full 9 hours from start to finish, including clean up. Here are a few pics from the day...

170AE14B-D429-4E95-84AC-F06E267A53CD.jpegE41A9873-63D6-4A59-80BF-F53CD1FF5109.jpeg3038B86B-ADDA-491C-AFE5-D42048190CB8.jpegAF10D0A0-D6E3-411E-8C71-C5F5C294BEEE.jpeg80ED503E-97D2-4537-9BFB-E604A088EE13.jpeg23C4B520-14CD-457C-BFB6-3BEBFE905EE1.jpeg4B79E887-11D6-4492-8BAB-C340D767AF73.jpeg8B3E6F83-F506-4D08-8C40-42C6B8FE159D.jpegD9D50F15-E3C0-4894-A53E-7FFA65A9D3E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I am learrning how to hobble around with one foot. drinking and crutches could be a scary combo:)

Trying to procure the rest of the materials need to build a wheelchair ramp for a old timer here who is a disabled vet and can't wait any longer for the VA to help him, so with the Disabled Vaets of America I will find the materials needed. I am hoping not to have to build it myself but I will if I have to.

Need to get to the brew shop and get the yeast to pitch into my cranberry/pomegranite, it is past the pectin stage and is waiting to begin to bubble.

Sharpening up the snow shovel, feels like snow for sure in the air. My money is on the eight, I may not win this year but I think I am going to come close.

Got bad news today about a young friend(18 yo) that was killed in a car accident last month, not sure how I was the last to know but I was. Need to deal with his Mom and their family. On top of that the mom is terminally ill and there are many other problems facing them. Time to be a true Alaskan and step up and see where I can help.

Got gallons of cran/pomegranite on the counter that needs to be moved. Guess i didn't think about that when I mixed it all up. It's damn sure not going on the frig!!!LOL
may god bless that family, and may god bless you and you family as well. and thank you for your service sir,
Dawg
What am I doing today? I am giving my thanks that I woke up alive and healthy today and that I can hope that those in my family and those I call my friends are doing okay. I also prayed that if there was anythng I could do to help any of them, that the strength would be sent my way.

Take Care,
Troy
:r

Today, I filtered and bottled 150 bottles of wine:

1. Fume Blanc (WE)
2. RJS Italian Valapola
3. RJS RQ3
4. MV Ardente
5. MV Pinot Noir
6. RJS Super Tuscan

I normally use my Buon Vino Jet filler but today I thought I would employ my AIO pump to fill the bottles. Although it took a while to get used to, it was actually faster to use in the long run than the BV.

I pressure washed my barrels and steam cleaned them with my new steamer. Pretty slick.

It was a full 9 hours from start to finish, including clean up. Here are a few pics from the day...

View attachment 60580View attachment 60581View attachment 60582View attachment 60583View attachment 60584View attachment 60585View attachment 60586View attachment 60587View attachment 60588
It’s always satisfying day working at this avocation we all have. Great multipurpose crates there. How many bottles does one hold?

How many bottles does one hold?

Each of those crates hold 25 bottles. Each barrel provides 28-29 bottles, typically. I hold what doesn’t fit into a crate out and store them differently and I crack one open every little bit as tasters. Here’s a picture of my “cellar”. The newly bottled get stored on the bottom and I cycle everything up a rung as new is added. Once it’s on shelf #4, it’s ready for full consumption. But honestly, I pull from shelf #3 occasionally too. I need to restock my rack on the right and, pulled the wine to go there but I was too tired yesterday to do that.

E80602A5-B719-4162-9E4C-C45E7FF9ADCE.jpeg

Fresh or Salt? Looks good!

Just finished setting up and filling the anniversary aquarium wifey got for me last weekend. It’ll be a few days running before it clears up and is ready for inhabitants, but it’s already a soothing addition. So many new things to relearn in the aquarium world these days.......

Latest posts

Back