What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yea, over a LOT of Apple.

We are having a 2nd Indian Summer this week. Remember that at our altitude as long as its sunny it feels like10 degrees warmer than the air temp as well. We are like 15-18 degrees above normal.

I am wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt today! :db

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 3.16.39 PM.png

I hope you're putting that bad boy on the Pit Boss.

Got back a while ago from a thanksgiving dinner I didn't have to cook! And I could have a few drinks as the young lady with her back to you (my daughter) was the designated driver. This is a partial crew, we normally do a family picture, but my Mom, now in her mid 80's and at the end of the table, forgot, and we forgot to reminder her since we were enjoying dinner an drinks so much. Very well might be the last one of these we have, so we'll have to find another venue (and money source) to host it.

On a cheerier note, my oldest brother is hosting us for a post-Christmas family get together, since my Mom is heading South to Florida for three months (Sanibel Island, as usual). That should be interesting. He lives on a hill side in the middle of nowhere, so I can see the "boys" going bear spotting on a cold winter night (after we get warmed up by drinks first).

Sorry for the lack of image quality. Didn't use the flash but not bad for my new phone (needed my daughters help to take this image, I'm hopeless).

One highlight, my oldest Son called in from San Antonio and got to speak with a bunch of his Aunts/Uncles, cousins, great Aunts and Grandparents.

Edit: just got an email from my wife. Seems that my Son's hope to go oversees has been dashed. He's now supposed to train on F-35 maintenance, not sure what part(s) of the plane, but there are only four or so bases that currently work on them, and they are all in the U.S. I know that makes my wife and daughter happy, not sure what he feels like yet...

Edit 2: Watched his graduation ceremony live on-line. Not the best picture quality, but good enough I could tell I'd rather be in San Antonio this time of the year than up here! I think I even picked him out at one point.

11-23-17_dinner.jpg

Last edited:
Guess where we are for a few days......... Trying to figure out how to get this whole stack of wood into our Accord! LOL Weather is to die for. Sunny and 78 for the high 47 for the low. Access to a Pit Boss K24 Kamado..........

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

Is that some mesquite? A couple of those logs would last for a good year of smoking.

Your weather sounds like Texas. Just talked with my Son and they are headed to Sea World once it opens. He said it's been pretty nice down there for the last few weeks.

Edit: on further review, is that pecan? Mesquite is much darker. Understand, I've never met a mequite or pecan tree, so one could fall on me and I wouldn't know it...or rather I could stumble into one and I still wouldn't know it.

Texting the last few times as my wife boards a flight to San Antonio tonight. The oldest graduates from AF basic training later this week, and because it is Thanksgiving time, my wife could only get flights leaving tonight with a return trip Monday night. For what she paid for flight/hotel/car is what we would have paid (within $100) if we both went next week. But alas, he won't be at Lackland later next week, we'll be at Sheppard AFB to start his training. At least one of us got to go, I hope to be able to watch some of the ceremonies on a live stream they make available. Plus now I'll be able to attend, with the remaining kids, Thanksgiving put on at a local country club, paid for by Grandma. Now I have to figure out something to clean or paint or replace to make my wife happy upon her arrival home.
I was at Lackland 34 years ago at this time. They let us out of the MOB dorms to go eat Thanksgiving dinner with local families who opened up their homes to us. Sheppard is a nice AFB.

Having Thanksgiving dinner with the family. Our son, who is stationed at FE Warren AFB came home for a couple days. Our oldest is at Wright Patt Air Museum and saw a jet I actually flew back in the 90’s. Mid 40’s and sunny here in West central Wisconsin. Badgers are playing. Can’t get much better. Time to open up a 3 year old bottle of Marquette.

Having Thanksgiving dinner with the family. Our son, who is stationed at FE Warren AFB came home for a couple days. Our oldest is at Wright Patt Air Museum and saw a jet I actually flew back in the 90’s. Mid 40’s and sunny here in West central Wisconsin. Badgers are playing. Can’t get much better. Time to open up a 3 year old bottle of Marquette.
It looks like they are just starting a new training program at Sheppard for what he's been assigned to, so they said he'll get leave from the Saturday before Christmas until just after the first of January. I'm quite excited for him to visit, but understand that things change, so I'm happily hoping at this point! I'm glad you brought out the "good stuff", I'm learning to take advantage of when they get to come home, I really miss him (my back misses him even more).

My parents were in San Marcos (both were in the AF, my Mom a nurse, my Dad a doctor). They met in Philadelphia and started dating in Texas. But I think that was back in the early 50's. My Dad died before my Son who is down there now was born (about 11 months before), but my Mom is still "kicking" and enjoying the fact that my Son is in her old stomping grounds. I just hope he doesn't meet anyone too quickly to screw up his life, yet.

Last edited:
Planning a long awaited Christmas video fest with my youngest daughter. I know she's missing my wife being gone all week, so I promised some popcorn and a video of her choice. I was hoping to get Polar Express, but I think she has other plans. I know she's looking forward to it, which warms my heart, since my wife would usually have the honors. Nice to know she likes spending time with Dad! Just so she doesn't make me dress up in those Elf jammies...

And, what is the best wine with popcorn, or should I stick with beer?

Music & Merlot tonight! Lots of local wine events at wineries/vineyards around here. I mean, this is the garden state after all.
Tonight is Hopewell Valley Vineyards. Live acoustic sets with brick oven pizzas paired with their wines.
I love wine, love brick oven pies, and acoustic tunes so this one was a no brainer. (Will need restraint as I’ve been known to try and coerce the band to let me jump in for a song after a few. Jamming ‘Little Pink Houses’ with the band after I clumsily kicked out the extension cord cutting them off mid-song at the Elk Mt ski lodge bar was a night to remember!)
IMG_1511650287.902543.jpg

LOL yea, staying for a few days down with our friends who own the 25 acre pecan farm. 1st pic is a panorama of part of the orchard. They are drying still and usually harvest in the January-February time frame. Told my good friend here that I had been cheating on him with some apple wood this Summer. He needs to woo me back over to pecan. He said that would not be a problem! LOL Coming home with a full trunk I think. :)

Is that some mesquite? A couple of those logs would last for a good year of smoking.

Your weather sounds like Texas. Just talked with my Son and they are headed to Sea World once it opens. He said it's been pretty nice down there for the last few weeks.

Edit: on further review, is that pecan? Mesquite is much darker. Understand, I've never met a mequite or pecan tree, so one could fall on me and I wouldn't know it...or rather I could stumble into one and I still wouldn't know it.

LOL yea, staying for a few days down with our friends who own the 25 acre pecan farm. 1st pic is a panorama of part of the orchard. They are drying still and usually harvest in the January-February time frame. Told my good friend here that I had been cheating on him with some apple wood this Summer. He needs to woo me back over to pecan. He said that would not be a problem! LOL Coming home with a full trunk I think. :)

I love both pecan AND apple. Apple more for poultry and maybe in combo with hickory or something else for pork. Pecan is awesome on beef.

Oh, never mind. You need a big, buttery Chardonnay.
I have a Chardonnay that @jgmann67 gave me, not sure if it is buttery or not. It's in the fridge and cold, so I'll go for that! I have a Pinot Grigio and a Viognier in there too, so I think if one doesn't suit my fancy, I'll move onto the next. Just have to be coherent enough to drive my daughter to work at 5:30 am tomorrow. Guess that means I shouldn't polish off all three bottles. If I did my wife would get mad because she wants to try the Chardonnay.

Oh well. If it's good and I finish it, I can always barter one of the kids for another bottle. Jim has a big enough house to take a few more kids in...

I used to use a lot of apple and hickory on my chicken. Reserved the mesquite for beef and lamb. The hickory can get pretty intense if you use too much on chicken. Then a couple of years ago I saw a post where you were using pecan, saw some chunks on sale at our local hardware store, and gave them a try. More flavor than the apple, but less harsh than too much hickory. I actually like it better with salmon than the apple wood. I can never thank you enough for posting that (so that I'd experiment with the pecan). I'm sure my son who scarfs up all the salmon I smoke cook would thank you too!

Back