What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just knocked out a crude stand for my new press. It weighs a ton (1/2" steel base, all metal frame...) I didn't want to set it awkwardly on a table, so I threw together a stand from 2x4's using pockethole screws (i.e., Kreg jig). I should be ready for pressing now, which should be in a few days, I reckon.

Couldn't resist making one last batch of hot sauce. My Habanero plants were all killed by frost yesterday, so had some habaneros to use before they rotted. Picked up some mango and make a mango habanero sauce.
Picked brussels sprouts too, those plants are about done. I think the only thing left alive now is kale.
20171111_170215.jpg

Opened a bottle of Bordeaux blend (Merlot, Cab Sauv, Malbec) and am listening to some music:

Blind Faith - [Blind Faith CD1 #02] Can't Find My Way Home
Blind Faith - [Blind Faith CD1 #04] Presence of the Lord
Blue Öyster Cult - [Fire of Unknown Origin CD1 #02] Burnin' for You
707 - [Anthology: The Very Best of 707 CD1 #01] I Could Be Good for You
Alannah Myles - [Alannah Myles CD1 #03] Black Velvet
Dire Straits - [Brothers in Arms CD1 #02] Money for Nothing
Led Zeppelin - [BBC Sessions, Disc 2 CD2 #07] Going to California
Led Zeppelin - [BBC Sessions, Disc 2 CD2 #06] Stairway to Heaven
Kansas - [Point Of Know Return CD1 #07] Dust In The Wind
Eric Clapton - [24 Nights, Disc 1 CD1 #01] Badge
Eric Clapton - [24 Nights, Disc 1 CD1 #02] Running on Faith
Eric Clapton - [24 Nights, Disc 1 CD1 #03] White Room
Peter Gabriel - [Plays Live, Disc 2 CD2 #02] Solsbury Hill
Split Enz - [True Colours CD1 #01] I Got You
Split Enz - [True Colours CD1 #05] I Wouldn't Dream of It
Queen - [Classic Queen CD1 #02] Bohemian Rhapsody
U2 - [Achtung Baby CD1 #03] One
Steely Dan - [Aja CD1 #03] Deacon Blues
Rolling Stones, The - [Beggars Banquet CD1 #01] Sympathy for the Devil
Rolling Stones, The - [Hot Rocks, 1964-1971, Disc 1 CD1 #11] Ruby Tuesday
Rolling Stones, The - [Hot Rocks, 1964-1971, Disc 2 CD2 #09] Wild Horses
Rolling Stones, The - [Hot Rocks, 1964-1971, Disc 2 CD2 #07] You Can't Always Get What You Want
Creedence Clearwater Revival - [Chronicle, Vol. 1 CD1 #11] Who'll Stop the Rain
Creedence Clearwater Revival - [Chronicle, Vol. 1 CD1 #17] Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Creedence Clearwater Revival - [Chronicle, Vol. 1 CD1 #09] Fortunate Son
Creedence Clearwater Revival - [Chronicle, Vol. 1 CD1 #04] Bad Moon Rising
America - [History: America's Greatest Hits CD1 #01] A Horse With No Name
America - [History: America's Greatest Hits CD1 #09] Lonely People
Eagles - [Eagles Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 CD1 #01] Hotel California
Eagles - [Eagles Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 CD1 #08] New Kid in Town
Eagles - [Eagles Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 CD1 #03] Seven Bridges Road
Gordon Lightfoot - [Sundown CD1 #02] High and Dry
Fleetwood Mac - [Fleetwood Mac CD1 #08] Landslide
Gordon Lightfoot - [Gord's Gold, Vol. 2 CD1 #11] Alberta Bound
Gordon Lightfoot - [Sundown CD1 #06] The Watchman's Gone
Gordon Lightfoot - [Sundown CD1 #07] Sundown
Gordon Lightfoot - [Sundown CD1 #10] Too Late for Prayin'
Supertramp - [Breakfast in America CD1 #07] Lord Is It Mine
Electric Light Orchestra - [ELO's Greatest Hits CD1 #02] Livin' Thing
Sting - [The Dream of the Blue Turtles CD1 #10] Fortress Around Your Heart
Pink Floyd - [Wish You Were Here CD1 #04] Wish You Were Here
R.E.M. - [Out of Time CD1 #02] Losing My Religion
Moody Blues, The - [The Story of the Moody Blues - Legend of a Band CD1 #09] The Other Side of Life
Moody Blues, The - [The Story of the Moody Blues - Legend of a Band CD1 #05] Tuesday Afternoon
Moody Blues, The - [The Story of the Moody Blues - Legend of a Band CD1 #08] I Know You're Out There Somewhere
Moody Blues, The - [On the Threshold of a Dream CD1 #09] Are You Sitting Comfortably?

Still only about 1/2 way through. Haven't listened to much for a while. But makes surfing this site more enjoyable...

I blame this on @jgmann67 for putting a reference to a Pink Floyd song on a bottle label of his.

Got ourselves an old school Saturday night game of Monopoly goin right now. With arguments and specific rule checks online and all! Just starting to heat up. Laying some good groundwork to take all my family's money! (Go to "nearest" railroad--nearest is up for interpretation apparently)
Popped the Nero D'Avola discussed the other day. Definitely a varietal I'll be getting again.
IMG_8497.jpgIMG_8488.jpg

Oh, and Craig, we've got some Bad Company goin for tunes.

I think my library is up to about 15K songs, I know I have some Bad Company in there...not a bad choice. To me anything before 1985 is acceptable (just kidding, there are a few acceptable songs after that). I've ripped all my CDs to flac files and have them on a 2 TB passport drive I take with me when I go to our cabin. Nice to just look around the library and pick a few songs that hit my fancy depending on what and how much I'm imbibing on any evening (oh and my mood at the time).

How's the Nero D'Avola?

Last edited:
Got ourselves an old school Saturday night game of Monopoly goin right now. With arguments and specific rule checks online and all! Just starting to heat up. Laying some good groundwork to take all my family's money! (Go to "nearest" railroad--nearest is up for interpretation apparently)
Popped the Nero D'Avola discussed the other day. Definitely a varietal I'll be getting again.
View attachment 44598View attachment 44599

This is our youngest daughter's(she's 32) absolute favorite way to spend an evening.

What can you drink now that you can't drink the water OR the alcohol at the resorts in Mexico! :d

My wife and I, plus three other winemaking couples are heading to Cancun for a week long, stir on the beach, all - inclusive vacation. Turns out to be the Inaguaral International Flight for Southwest from St. Louis. They had a party at the gate, free drinks on the flight, free internet in the air. Having a great time and we haven't even gotten out of Missouri, yet.

What can you drink now that you can't drink the water OR the alcohol at the resorts in Mexico! :d
Well, we are sticking with the alcohol. We are at what apple vacation and funjet both class as a five star resort. I stay away from tequila, well mostly away. The wine comes from bottles I see them open so I think that is safe and the mojitos have been going down right fine. Valentin Imperial Riveria Maya is the name, if any one cares.

Stay safe and hope you have a great stay!

Well, we are sticking with the alcohol. We are at what apple vacation and funjet both class as a five star resort. I stay away from tequila, well mostly away. The wine comes from bottles I see them open so I think that is safe and the mojitos have been going down right fine. Valentin Imperial Riveria Maya is the name, if any one cares.

Did something to F'up my computer last night. So spent a good amount of time today reloading programs and making backup "images" so I wouldn't have to spend so much time reloading software next time I F-up. Listening to some AC-DC, John Mellancamp, David Bowie, etc... and sampling a few of my red wines trying to figure out what I'll be sending to @JohnT next week. Heard from my AF Son yesterday, he's doing well and probably going to Sheppard AFB to start his training. Made a ragú for dinner, turned out pretty darn good. All in all, a pretty good weekend so far. Have to get some good wifey time in since she'll be going to visit the AF son for graduation, as I'll be stuck with the other three for Thanksgiving. Not complaining, trying to find a good video to complement the popcorn next Saturday night. Youngest daughter is hoping for a Polar Express viewing.

Yesterday a friend of mine who is getting ready to clear his first wine stopped so I could take ph and SO2 readings for him. He also had a lot of questions. In paticular how to read a hydrometer and adding the Sorbate. He insists on bottling per the instructions as much as I tried to talk him out of it. But here is what I got out of it. Even though my oldest wine is only 10 months old we sampled his and several of mine. Though mine wasn't yet to my liking I was pleasantly surprised how much smoother it was then his new wine, a world of difference. It is the first time I had a chance to do something like that. But what surprised me most was the tasting of my first all grape wine, Norton, about halfway through MLF. It is currently by far the best I have.

Texting the last few times as my wife boards a flight to San Antonio tonight. The oldest graduates from AF basic training later this week, and because it is Thanksgiving time, my wife could only get flights leaving tonight with a return trip Monday night. For what she paid for flight/hotel/car is what we would have paid (within $100) if we both went next week. But alas, he won't be at Lackland later next week, we'll be at Sheppard AFB to start his training. At least one of us got to go, I hope to be able to watch some of the ceremonies on a live stream they make available. Plus now I'll be able to attend, with the remaining kids, Thanksgiving put on at a local country club, paid for by Grandma. Now I have to figure out something to clean or paint or replace to make my wife happy upon her arrival home.

Sorry you won't be able to see him graduate, Craig. I'm sure you'll enjoy time with the remaining family back home and will come up with some great projects to keep you occupied and the Mrs thrilled upon her return.

Well at least the weather will be nice for her. Congrats on the graduation!

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 6.46.48 PM.png

Texting the last few times as my wife boards a flight to San Antonio tonight. The oldest graduates from AF basic training later this week, and because it is Thanksgiving time, my wife could only get flights leaving tonight with a return trip Monday night. For what she paid for flight/hotel/car is what we would have paid (within $100) if we both went next week. But alas, he won't be at Lackland later next week, we'll be at Sheppard AFB to start his training. At least one of us got to go, I hope to be able to watch some of the ceremonies on a live stream they make available. Plus now I'll be able to attend, with the remaining kids, Thanksgiving put on at a local country club, paid for by Grandma. Now I have to figure out something to clean or paint or replace to make my wife happy upon her arrival home.

Tonight was yet another winemaking night. I have had a batch under active fermentation every day since Nov. 4. I had gotten 200 lbs of Syrah grapes on 11/4, then I did a 2nd-run batch from those grapes. Tonight, I finally got to pick up our white juice (which came in on Sunday). I got just 6 gal. of Viognier from the Ancient Lakes AVA in WA state.

Before dealing with the Viognier, I racked the "sloppy seconds" Syrah off the gross lees. Also the first-run Syrah settled down, so I topped the carboys off with the press wine from the first run.

The Viognier numbers seemed quite good to me. The SG was 1.100 (23.8 Brix), and the pH was 3.36. I haven't measured the TA yet. I hit it with 50 ppm of SO2, and I plan to pitch D47 tomorrow.

Back