What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. Thanks. I couldn't think of anything and old hubby here said "Kim Traits". I asked him what that meant but he's clammed up (probably for his own safety ) :)

Just checked the temp in my cold stabilization area. Holding at about 22 degrees. Not bad considering its -4 here right now. I guess being 5ft underground and protected from the wind helps. May rack this off tomorrow.

Bottled my 2014 RJS Australia Semillon Sauvignon Blanc - RQ! 3 months old. Did my usual yeast swap BA11. Bumped up the ABV just a bit. pH on this wine ended up ~3.15. Nice acid, nice mouthfeel. Flavours of pink grapefruit, dried herbs, citrus, and a touch of tropical fruit. Winner, winner chicken dinner! :hug

RQ14%20semillion%20sau%20blanc.jpg

Enjoying President's day holiday off. Going to get the last of LAST years LR Whites going. 18L of juice. Came with 71B which is very unusual. Going with BA11 and cool ferment.

IMG_0219.jpg

Enjoying Family Day at home with the family! Living room fort building, pancake making and poster hanging so far (will post a pic in the Photo thread).

Very much looking forward to starting my new job at the end of this week - now that it's all official and everything. :r I just need to get through one of the biggest events of the year at my current job and I'll be home free!! :w

I am contemplating a variation of skeeter pee or a straight blackberry jam recipe. I think I may go with the blackberry, three pounds per gallon.

We are having crazy day today. Lunch for breakfast, dinner for lunch, and shortly we'll be enjoying breakfast for dinner.

stopped by ffemt's and assisted in racking/stayed out of the way while he racked the muscadine. Looking forward to Saturday's wine class in Erie.

Given that it is -8 in Pittsburgh this am, I decided to check the cellar cold stabilization area. Much to my surprise this area is still maintaining a 20 degree temperature. I guess enough heat seeping in from the 50 degree cellar and being sub-grade is maintaining the temp. I'll have to look into upgrading the doors this summer.

I started a kit of WE Selection International Australian Petit Verdot. Also defrosted the storage freezer. I try to do that each winter on a cold day, so I can just load it all into a cooler and put it outside while the frost melts!

Racked the WS Super Tuscan, did some minor cleaning in the basement and thinned the herd in my dresser drawers. Shoveled about 6 inches of snow, and helped the 5 year old build a fort out of the piles I made while shoveling. I should probably head back to the lab to rack my Viognier and add pectic enzyme to see if I can clear the haze. But I have nothing to top it up with. Think I can wait until tomorrow evening for the top up?

Spent the morning shoveling the snow/sleet from last night and still cursing the people of St. Louis who can't drive when there is anything on the road. Had to drive home last night from a hockey game in the stuff coming down, some people want to drive 70, some 20 all on the interstate at the same time. (okay end rant)

Then built a wall in the basement my wife has been fighting me about for a few months. Once I got just this little bit up in the wine making area, it dawned on her what the overall plan could be. Tomorrow I head back to the hardware store for more 2X4's.

oh and tasted our Chocolate Cherry Norton Port from the pressings, it has a great chocolate and cherry taste, with just a hint of Norton after the fact. I wish it had more of that, but what do I expect. It may get a gallon or so added to it.

due to the snow, I missed the wine class in Erie. My hose spigot in the garage popped off and created a mini flood in the garage, which then ran out on to the driveway and froze, causing me to almost do a one-and-half swan dive while trying to snow-blow the driveway. Eventually we were able to make it out to pick up my car which needed inspected, only to find out I need brakes and tires.

But I did complete my registration for the American Wine Conference in Pittsburgh on March 15. I look forward to attending that one.

Latest posts

Back